PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Reserved Seats?

Ben W
13th March 2012, 05:44 AM
Sorry, another dumb question! Do you recommend paying the additional money and reserving seats? Just booked LAX-MEL return over the holidays- two adults/ two kids. Should I block off 4 together in the middle or will Qantas put us together regardless? I'm used to just reserving the seats we want with United without paying so this was somewhat of a surprise after I bought the tickets.

Thanks for any advise!

Cheers,

Ben

Ryan N
13th March 2012, 07:15 AM
I reserved the 2 seaters at the back of the 744 on my way back from HKG as they provided me with some extra space. I would probably not have got those 2 seats had I not paid for them (well, I didn't actually pay with money, I used 5000 points).

So in answer to your question about paying additional money, it really depends on whether you want to seat in particular areas, or run the risk of being separated from your group by Qantas allocating the seats for you.

Bernie P
13th March 2012, 07:40 AM
Additionally, depending on how old your children are, have you thought about putting them in front of you? That way, you can have a window (assuming your wife won't want to look out) and the kids can rotate the window seat?

Justin L
13th March 2012, 08:01 AM
With QF international, unless things have changed recently, you should be able to allocate your seats for free if you give them a call and request seat allocation. I have done that many times over the years with QF international flights.

Malcolm Parker
13th March 2012, 08:29 AM
As with all seats on QF International there is the fee to allocate seats in advance. Ther fee depends upon the length of the flight and whether it is an exit seat or ordinary seat.

Although even with this policy in place Qantas will do its utmost not to separate families espeically those with Children and more so with younger ones. I hope that does help. That is stated in our agents manual.

Hope that helps.

Justin L
13th March 2012, 08:45 AM
Interesting to know Malcolm, thanks. The last time I allocated seats in advance over the phone (for free over the phone) with QF international was 2009, and I did so for many years up until then (I even got that advice from this board I believe). But it seems things have changed (I now live in the US and seldom have the chance to fly QF).

A McLaughlin
13th March 2012, 10:37 AM
I paid $80 for bulkhead seats to/from SIN recently...whilst I apreciated the extra space, the lack of a window, the noise from the galley, and the cold air from the nearby exit almost made it not worth it.

Anthony F
13th March 2012, 01:18 PM
I didn't pay for seat allocations on my trip to the US in Novemeber 2010 on Nancy Bird just before the engine blew up. I had my seats booked online as I booked my tickets.

Ryan N
13th March 2012, 05:53 PM
It also depends on your QF frequent flyer status. It's free if you are silver or higher from memory.

A McLaughlin
13th March 2012, 07:25 PM
No, it's not...

bernard smith
13th March 2012, 07:38 PM
It also depends on your QF frequent flyer status. It's free if you are silver or higher from memory.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/advance-seat-selection/global/en

A McLaughlin
14th March 2012, 08:22 AM
I'm a gold FF, and I had to pay for an exit row. I think we're getting mixed up with advanced seat selection and preferred seat selection here.

Guy W
14th March 2012, 12:18 PM
QF introduces the fee for seat request on 13 Apr 2011. For numerous time, QIC told me they they cannot waive the seat fee even for industry people.

David F
20th March 2012, 06:20 PM
QFF Silver and above don't have to pay the $20 (or whatever it is) fee for advanced seat selection. They do still have to pay the fee to get an exit row seat.