PDA

View Full Version : QF B734 missing landing gear door

Ray P.
2nd June 2008, 09:34 PM
Hi guys,
I was doing a spot of spotting at Adelaide Airport when I took a shot of this QF B734 (VH-TJI). A friend noted that the RH MLG didn't look right. Clearly it is missing the RH MLG strut fairing (door). I noticed a safety vehicle travel up and down the runway after the takeoff but didn't observe it stop at any point although I didn't watch it for the whole time it was out there. Question is; did the door fall off prior to or on takeoff? or; was it missing to start with and launched anyway? Surely this door would be part of the aircraft's MEL? Anybody have any info?

Philip Argy
3rd June 2008, 07:18 AM
This from Boeing 737 design description might assist:

To save weight and reduce cost and complexity the 737 lacks full doors to cover the main landing gear. The main landing gear (under the wings at mid-cabin) rotate into wells in the aircraft's belly, the legs being covered by partial doors, and "brush-like" seals aerodynamically smooth (or "fair") the wheels in the wells. The sides of the tires are exposed to the air in flight. "Hub caps" complete the aerodynamic profile of the wheels. It is forbidden to operate without the caps, because they are links to the ground speed sensor that interfaces with the anti-skid brake system. When observing a 737 takeoff, or at low altitude, the dark circles of the tires can be plainly seen.

Andrew McLaughlin
3rd June 2008, 07:56 AM
Ray clearly said...
Clearly it is missing the RH MLG strut fairing (door).
...and he's right. Good catch Ray!

Ray P.
3rd June 2008, 07:52 PM
Ray clearly said...

...and he's right. Good catch Ray!

Thanks Andrew. You are correct, I am talking about the strut fairing. I have known that B737's don't have doors covering their gear since I was a boy watching the first Ansett B732s flying over my high school in Brisbane back in the early 1980s. This is the fairing that I am talking about.I thought the responses to this thread were very slow forthcoming, there were lots of views but no responses. Everyone must have thought I was a numpty. As asked in my first post, is this part of the aircraft's MEL. For clarification I have zoomed in on the missing culprit;

Andrew P
3rd June 2008, 08:14 PM
Ray P

what should do if post a photo of a 737 with the door for comparison

Banjo

Anthony J
3rd June 2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Ray, although rare it is permissible to operate most Boeing types with parts of gear doors missing (as well as other bits!) We have a Configuration Deviation List (CDL) that lists what we can go without.
On the 767 we can have various bits of gear doors missing, from hinge covers to entire panels. Some limit the speed but the operation can continue. Particularly handy if FOD or ramp-rash occurs.
Cheers.

Nigel C
3rd June 2008, 08:31 PM
Ramp-rash...nice one!:D

Brenden S
3rd June 2008, 08:38 PM
or Ramp Rage as what we engineers tend to call it. It would be a weight and a speed penalty for the missing door under the CDL manual

Ray P.
3rd June 2008, 08:42 PM
Ray P

what should do if post a photo of a 737 with the door for comparison

Banjo

Thanks Banjo, what a great idea;

Now you see it...now you don't. (Please note that the comparison is with a B73H)

Hi Ray, although rare it is permissible to operate most Boeing types with parts of gear doors missing (as well as other bits!) We have a Configuration Deviation List (CDL) that lists what we can go without.
On the 767 we can have various bits of gear doors missing, from hinge covers to entire panels. Some limit the speed but the operation can continue. Particularly handy if FOD or ramp-rash occurs.
Cheers.

Thanks Anthony, answers all of my questions, though this seems like a pretty large fairing to be without..

Ray P.
3rd June 2008, 08:51 PM
Good catch Ray!

The credit goes to my mate Tim who was standing beside me when I took the pics.

D Chan
5th June 2008, 09:25 PM
The safety vehicle wouldn't have anything to do with it unless they had a birdstrike

Ray P.
5th June 2008, 10:13 PM
The safety vehicle wouldn't have anything to do with it unless they had a birdstrike

I was thinking that they may have had to pick up the missing fairing pieces from off of the runway.

David M
5th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Also on TJI, I noticed a couple of months ago, the forward cargo entry door on the RHS of the aircraft had a large lime green square painted on the side of it. This of course may have been a large sticker and not painted. It would have been approximately 1m x1m square, and only on the RHS.

Did anyone else see this? I have taken a pic and will post as soon as I can find it, but thought I'd post earlier seeing as TJI was the aircraft involved.

David.M.

Marty H
5th June 2008, 11:56 PM
Yes I have noticed it a couple times, the door may have been damaged during unloading/loading (dog cage could have hit it) and it could be the green primer paint that has been used to repair the door and hasnt had the white paint as yet.

D Chan
7th June 2008, 10:50 PM
I was thinking that they may have had to pick up the missing fairing pieces from off of the runway.

but in this instance TJI left ADL without the two parts - as AJ mentioned it is part of the CDL

Ray P.
7th June 2008, 11:16 PM
but in this instance TJI left ADL without the two parts - as AJ mentioned it is part of the CDL

err, yes; but I didn't know that when I wrote my OP. :confused:

Darren Butterworth
7th June 2008, 11:20 PM
David M - I noticed TJE has a green patch as if flew over home in Annandale at 8.27am this morning.

Daz

Lawrie L
9th June 2008, 03:07 PM
OMG...i flew on that unsafe aircraft (VH-TJI) back to SYD from BNE. Inside this aircraft (TJI), its interior cabin has new overhead bins and new seats in all the classes.

Adam P.
9th June 2008, 03:39 PM
Unsafe? http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/dontgetit.gif

Where in the above does it say anything about 'unsafe'?

Grant Smith
9th June 2008, 04:00 PM
Purcell,

Clearly the green patch makes it unsafe...

;)

David Ramsay
9th June 2008, 05:01 PM
Not unsafe, Granny, just environmentally friendly. The Prius of the skies!

The whole world's going green. :eek: