PDA

View Full Version : Last Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 flights - 6th April 2012

Dave Dale
8th April 2012, 08:17 PM
Singapore Airlines B747 commemorative farewell flights

Introduction:

In February 2012, I was booking flights with Singapore Airlines for Asia when I noticed the commemorative farewell flight was announced. So, without delay, I made sure I got seats on both flights - SQ747 and SQ748 SIN-HKG-SIN. As my occupation has nothing to do with aviation but my interest is aviation, it was an event I couldn't go without.

So once I had the commemorative flights booked, it was to Qantas to get my flights to Singapore arranged. With QF51 and QF52 booked, I was there, almost! Just had to wait.

The following is what transpired, it was the best flights I have ever taken and a credit to Singapore Airlines - truly a great way to fly!

Thursday, 5th April 2012

My ride to Singapore, Qantas 747-400 VH-OJU.
Departed Brisbane 1340 hours

I applied for upgrade to Business with points and so I was seated in 2A, old first class cabin in OJU.

After arriving in Singapore, it was off to the hotel to await Friday's events - the final Boeing 747 flight for Singapore Airlines.

Friday, 6th April 2012

I was up at 4AM and gone by 5AM off to Changi to check-in for the historic flight.

Being NZ*Gold, I was able to enter the KrisFlyer lounge in terminal 3. I didn't stay all that long as breakfast was being served in the gate lounge.

The gate lounge was appropriately chosen - B7. Once 6.30AM came round, we were in.

Dave Dale
8th April 2012, 08:58 PM
The importance of this day was felt when I saw the stage set up. This was no ordinary last hurrah, but rather something meaningful to a lot of people, not only to most of the aviation enthused passengers, but to Singapore Airlines themselves! As all passengers started to enter the lounge, the Executive Vice President for Commercial at Singapore Airlines, Mr Mak Swee Wah gave a speech outlining the role of the 747 in the Singapore Airlines Fleet and its instrumental role in developing the Singapore Airlines network. Even he sounded sad with words of 'good bye'.

After the formalities of the farewell, it was off to the last B747-400 in the Singapore Airlines fleet - 9V-SPQ, delivered in 2001 and owned outright by Singapore Airlines. She was sparkling clean and shined for her last flights. It was a great sight. I was seated in 64K.

Once airborne and seatbelt sign was off, it was time to get 'snapping'. Lots of people moving from one end of the aircraft to the other to get those last snaps of this, the last Singapore airlines 747!

Dave Dale
8th April 2012, 09:18 PM
This young guy had this special t-shirt printed for the occasion. Everyone was suitably impressed. Even got to the Channel News Asia bulletin.

Special meals were put on for the flight. Note the 'Thank you 747' chocolate on the sweets.

We arrived into Hong Kong for the turn around. For the last time, a Singapore Airlines 747 is replenished for the very last revenue passenger flight for a Singapore Airlines 747!

While the above was going on outside, another presentation was made by the Executive Vice President, Commercial outlining the role and achievements Singapore Airlines had made because of the Boeing 747's in their fleet.

At gate 25, there was a fair gathering of passengers, guests and media.

Dave Dale
8th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Anyways, on through gate 25 for the return flight to Singapore. The very last flight on a Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 and I experienced this from seat 63C.

Once airborne and making our way to Singapore, it was only fitting that all passengers and crew toast the final Boeing 747 for Singapore Airlines.

The view that I never get sick of on a 747. No longer possible with Singapore Airlines :(

If you were lucky, one might have sat here, business class. It seemed the real party was happening up front, and good on them too. It was a fantastic occasion.

Dave Dale
8th April 2012, 09:49 PM
Anyways, Singapore approached and before long it was all over. The landing was met with clapping and cheering. A really unique experience. The only other clapping I have been part of is landing at Seychelles Airport in one of their (now retired) 767-200's. Clapping on the last 747 flight was for different reasons obviously.

There were commemorative flight bags handed out to all passengers flying each sector. I have photos of these, but the photo quota has been used.

Both flights were very good and the experience one of a kind. Met some great people and will meet with them again later in the year. The flight had people from all walks of life and the commitment of some to travel to Singapore just for this occasion is outstanding.

With flights and accommodation for myself only, it came to a little over $2000. But for some others I met, they travelled far and wide - from Manchester, Frankfurt, Toronto, Sydney, Jakarta and Zurich. Their costs would have been considerably more than mine.

Singapore Airlines did a fabulous job making the final farewell a memorable one. I was particularly impressed with the Singapore Girls who handled the continual movement of passengers rather well. Even on these flights, there were passengers making unreasonable requests which were far more prevalent than any other flight I have been on. But to their credit, they were professional and personable. I was super impressed. It was touching to see some of the Singapore Airlines crew shedding tears as we landed in Singapore. Without a doubt, the 747 is more than a people mover but a life changing experience.

The Executive Vice President, the four Captains, the very first Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 captain and many other Singapore Airlines dignitaries circled the aircraft throughout the flight, making themselves available for conversation.

After all this, I made my way back to Brisbane on Qantas 747-400 VH-OJU without upgrade, but seated in 41K. How great it was to be in another 747. VH-OJU looked to be in better shape than 9V-SPQ.

As this was an excellent occasion for any aviation enthusiast to be part of, I really look forward to the time Qantas retires their 747's. However, I do not at all wish to rush this thought by any means. As many know, Qantas has operated the 747 longer than Singapore Airlines, had the extra variants of the 747SP and the 747-400ER. That will be an even more momentous occasion. With fingers and toes crossed, both airlines might reconsider the 747-8I.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Brock Little
8th April 2012, 10:01 PM
Great report Dave, thanks for sharing. SIA definitely ended their 747 legacy with a bang - wish I was there! :(

Martin Beauchemin
19th April 2012, 12:30 AM
I never knew about the last SIA 747 flight :( That's really a shame. Sad to see them go. Like you said, I hope they get 748's! That would be sweet!