PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilot's Biannual Flight Review

Ahmet H
4th June 2008, 02:17 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any private pilots out there that have had to do their Biannual Flight Review. My 2 years are now up and i'm currently not at a flying school to ask what's involved in the flight review.

I'm going to be looking to do it within the next week or so, but for now just wanted to know what was looked at and tested in the review so I can go over anything I need to.

Thanks in advance.

Adam P.
4th June 2008, 03:24 PM
My tailwheel endorsement counted as my last flight review... hint hint!!

You don't have to do a 'flight review' especially - go get a new endorsement, you get a new skill as well as ticking the BFR box!

Mick F
4th June 2008, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately I can't give you any advice based personal experiences with BFR's Ahmet, I've always held a CIR that's renewed every year.

However, from what I've heard from other pilots who have done BFR's, it's basically just a case of making sure you can take off, land, do a forced landing, basic emergency procedural stuff. I guess there's probably a bit of general knowledge on rules and procedures that they'd test you on too. Overall, I doubt it'd be very hard at all. Well within your capabilities if you've done some flying inside of those 2 years.

Without delving into the rules and regs, I'm pretty sure you need to complete the BFR on the most complex type you plan on operating in the next 2 years. Ie. if you hold a multi engine rating, then you'd need to do your BFR in a twin. Holders of PIFR ratings would need to show that they are capable of flying under the IFR from memory too.

Those last few items I'd need to research to confirm them entirely, but I've heard them from a few people.

Or, you could do as Adam suggested, and go get an endorsement or something and then you wouldn't have to do a BFR test, ;).

Cheers

Mick

Ahmet H
5th June 2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys for your replies and advise.

Didn't think about another endorsement. Would a NVFR endorsement work?

I had a quick flick through the CAAP 5.81-1 on the internet, which has all the information about the BFR's in it (incase anyone was interested).

I'll have to have a proper read of it after work, and book it in ASAP. Might have to wait till the weather clears first though! :)

Adam P.
5th June 2008, 09:38 AM
NVFR'd be perfect - it'd test your navigation skills as well....

Don't talk to me about the weather. I still need to rescue an aeroplane I got stuck at Canberra last weekend...