PDA

View Full Version : Spotting & movements threads and postings

Tony G
10th May 2012, 01:17 PM
There seems to be ongoing discussions on what should be posted in the noteworthy movements threads. I actually think it is pretty clear cut on what is noteworthy but I don't mind the odd post that indicates a special livery that has been out here a few times coming back in again. It gives me the opportunity to get a photo if I have missed out on the previous occasions.

And without having a new thread for each individual movement, possibly having another thread to cover off on the aircraft that are not note worthy. Eg Thai retro, Etihad F1, DHL 757 etc. Where all on here for the enjoyment of aircraft, let's make it work for newbies and non newbies. Thanks.

Craig Murray
18th May 2012, 07:17 PM
I agree, the thread has too much inane discussion within it and it detracts from the informative information it contains.

Adam P.
18th May 2012, 09:43 PM
[inane discussion mode] That your drivers' licence photo Craigo?? [/inane discussion mode]

A McLaughlin
19th May 2012, 07:48 AM
Looks more like a police mug shot!!!

Nigel C
19th May 2012, 07:54 AM
Love the pink background. Very you, Craig. ;)

Kieran Wells
26th May 2012, 08:27 PM
Tony, im with you on this one. maybe with the discussion that is happening today(26/5) in the noteworthy thread, might be time for the mods to jump in and set a few ground rules. I understand that they can't be here 24/7 "policing" the board, however, might be the right time to set down a few rules, and remind people of them. Mods - this is NOT an attack on you guys. You do a fantastic job!!

NeilP
26th May 2012, 09:45 PM
It's obvious we need clear definitions of what is and what isn't noteworthy, as well as when something becomes no longer noteworthy, or becomes noteworthy again...

Or just a little more common sense...

Or both...

Kieran Wells
26th May 2012, 09:59 PM
Hear! Hear! Neil... Also a reminder to board members regarding seach functions(if i can add to my previous post!)..

26th May 2012, 10:28 PM
Our official position is that the moderators do not officially support a monthly noteworthy movement thread, largely due to the vague definition as to what is noteworthy as well as feedback received from many non-posting members. We are happy for the threads to continue, however we will not moderate the content unless it is in violation of our conditions of use (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/legal/conditions.html) (Which some of you need to re- familiarise yourselves with, specifically point 3.1).

That said, we are happy for users to discuss and attempt to agree on a definition of “noteworthy” in this thread and have it posted on the first post of each months noteworthy thread as a guideline for anyone who takes the time to share information on movements.

Going forward, we ask that if a user does post something that may not be noteworthy, you respond politely if you feel it needs to be pointed out.

Tim Bowrey
26th May 2012, 10:46 PM
Just going to throw out a possible way to solve this.

Maybe have a small selected group of spotters who know what's going on day in, day out to only post on that thread. This will prevent common arrivals continually being posted and limit the chatter to a bare minimum. There are very reliable posters here that do us a great service yet are pushed down to Page 2 of 10 because of all the chatter then people keep asking questions without even searching for them.

Just to name a few, Stefan Perkas is a very knowledgable and friendly guy and also Shayne Green is great value. There are many others but both of these guys are what we need. Straight to the point details of real noteworthy aircraft rather than this never ending argument.

Cheers

Kieran Wells
26th May 2012, 10:52 PM
What a fantastic suggestion Tim!!! I agree that this would be of worthwhile value to the board, and stop some of the endless clatter here...

I am thankful for the info that yourself, Stefan, Shayne, Jayden, and Graheme have posted in enlightening the Sydney spotting community with information, and I personally think everyone should be pleased with the feed we have had from those in the know!

Jacob P
26th May 2012, 11:11 PM
Just going to throw out a possible way to solve this.

Maybe have a small selected group of spotters who know what's going on day in, day out to only post on that thread. This will prevent common arrivals continually being posted and limit the chatter to a bare minimum. There are very reliable posters here that do us a great service yet are pushed down to Page 2 of 10 because of all the chatter then people keep asking questions without even searching for them.

Just to name a few, Stefan Perkas is a very knowledgable and friendly guy and also Shayne Green is great value. There are many others but both of these guys are what we need. Straight to the point details of real noteworthy aircraft rather than this never ending argument.

Cheers

Agree 100% Tim

NeilP
26th May 2012, 11:30 PM
Good idea, but can't help but think that some may be offended by ommision...

Tim Bowrey
27th May 2012, 05:58 AM
Completely see where you are coming from Neil but if you go back through the topics you can deffinatly see a common trend of people posting the info that acctually belongs here. For me, I am only interested in the movements and not the politics so I rarely post in the other areas of the forum.

The history of who has posted valuable info and who hasn't will override the fact people might be somehow offended when people have been posting for years.

I guess what I am saying is the newer members need to just keep learning to what's worth posting and what isn't then we don't have the forum police(not mods, people that think they own this place) constantly telling others 'this isn't noteworthy'. Some need to share a thought for the longer serving members and realize that some people are out there every day and Korean SkyTeam 772 isn't noteworthy.

Bernie P
27th May 2012, 08:29 AM
Whilst I agree, in principle, with the suggestion of those knowledgeable and respected sources being able to post, it can only be a logistical nightmare to administer and would come across 'elitist' to some of the newer and potential readers out there. The sources that we do have, are a great resource to have, and I (as others have said before me) am grateful we have them. No need to mention names, as they've been mentioned, but without them all, we wouldn't have been afforded the possibilities we have been accustomed too.

I think it would be a fair assumption to make, that there are 'trolls' out there who are members, and maybe not yet, who would be sitting back and watching the board self-implode at the moment, wondering "if I make a post, anywhere, am I going to be flamed?", and this is a sad indictment on the forum. And I personally think that, keeping an open forum (especially for the spotting threads and 'Noteworthyness') allowing everyone to post is the best way to move forward, and restoring the board to the friendly atmosphere we all enjoyed, joined for and welcomed on the last spotting weekend. After all, we are all here for the enjoyment of spotting, right?

I think we should all sit back, have a cuppa and read the threads we want to read (without bias), note what we want to note, and close the screen down or move to another area of the board. Remembering - what may NOT be noteworthy for some, doesn't necessarily mean it isn't for others! A little civility wouldn't go astray!

Now, back to spotting ;)

NeilP
27th May 2012, 08:43 AM
I couldn't have put it better myself, Bernie.

But I'll try;)

The Mods have stated their position, so it's obviously up to us users......and therein lies the problem... For what it's worth, and this is ONLY my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt as always, as far as I'm concerned: EVERYTHING can be noteworthy to SOME ONE at SOME TIME for SOME REASON...

My opinion again: I peruse the "Noteworthy" thread every single day, several times a day, and am really not that bothered by someone posting something that others may not find noteworthy to them, how much time does it take out of one's life, really?

I'm sure when Tim thought up the idea (and I don't mean to speak out of turn here Tim) I'm sure he wasn't just thinking "I find this noteworthy, so I'll tell everyone" but more like "other people may find this noteworthy, so I'll tell everyone"...

Things may have gotten out of hand last night, but let's, as a group, move forward, leave the policing to the Mods, stop with the hypocrisy (however inadvertant it may have been) and enjoy our interests together...

Nigel C
27th May 2012, 09:18 AM
I'll chuck my 2 cents worth here, just because I can.

I've got no problem with different people finding different movements noteworthy...everyone has, and is entitled to, an opinion. Personally I don't post a lot in the noteworthy movements section, but I do have a quick squiz from time to time to see what's happening.

However, I think all users, irrespective of their time served on the board or past history in posting movements etc, should make grand use of the search function. It's a feature that works quite well and would no doubt a) remove some of the double posting; b) answer some or many of the questions that the user may have; and c) cut out some of the unnecessary friction.

I believe this would relieve some of the frustrations being felt by some of the older members whilst allowing the newer members to get into the groove on how the board best operates.

Philip Argy
27th May 2012, 09:27 AM
Consider me as having pressed "Like" for the last three posts. :)

Kieran Wells
27th May 2012, 12:58 PM
I'll chuck my 2 cents worth here, just because I can.

However, I think all users, irrespective of their time served on the board or past history in posting movements etc, should make grand use of the search function. It's a feature that works quite well and would no doubt a) remove some of the double posting; b) answer some or many of the questions that the user may have; and c) cut out some of the unnecessary friction.

Hits the nail on the head Nigel! Well done!

Andrew Coggan
27th May 2012, 08:07 PM
My 2 cents,

Perhaps a another sticky or sub-forum should be made for 'New Users' (or even older members) to ask a simple question that may have a seemingly obvious answer to everyday users but not so for others.

Just a thought.

George G
28th May 2012, 11:30 AM
Hi guys,

I have only been doing this since February and thoroughly enjoy reading the Noteworthy Movements thread as it's a great source of information. I find it amusing as to how "reactionary" some people can be when someone posts a movement which in their opinion isn't considered noteworthy. I think people need to calm down and stop taking things so seriously. Leave all the Ego and attitude at the log in Button. :D

This is an interactive forum, people I think are entitled to interact in whatever way they want as long as they don't breach forum rules.

Personally, I find information about planes with special schemes (even though they have been here 1000 times before) or that are rare visits to Sydney (even though they have been here before) valuable. This is only a hobby, most of us work, it's good to know when planes are coming and going because we may not get a chance to see it on a Tuesday but may be able to see it on a Friday for example. We can make arrangements to go catch it if we know it is coming.

Perhaps start a "Interesting planes to photograph thread". :P

I'm sure a little pro activity amongst users can go a long way. Getting frustrated by a single post seriously isn't worth the energy wasted. Keep smiling and have a good day :)