PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Airport Terminal Upgrades

Todd Milton
5th June 2008, 12:09 AM
Did a search and found nothing, so I thought I would start off this thread regarding the Terminal Upgrades at Canberra Airport.

Basically, Canberra Airport will build a new terminal, along with new carparks, and a revamped road system. It has started off with basic works such as the relocation of the Taxi Rank past the Qantas terminal to the west, a covered walkway to the new Hire Car parking which is found near Brindabella Airlines hanger, along with the relocation of the Qantas Staff Parking. The old Qantas staff parking is now a taxi holding bay, and the old taxi holding bay is now Terminal Cct, a Bus Bay and a Loading Zone. The old Terminal Cct is now an exit from the carpark, which includes the old Rental Car Parking area. Roadworks have started around the airport, where the road will be duplicated and reformed to prevent congestion found currently. Works are also currently being performed inside the terminal, the Qantas Admin area across from the Rental Cars is boarded up along with an area next to the rental cars. Also the following as from canberraairport.com.au

A doubling of check-in counters from 16 to 32;

The installation of two new aerobridges, taking the total to six;

A trebling of the baggage belt capacity;

An additional 1300 car parking spaces taking the total number of spaces to 2500; and

A quadrupling of Club lounge capacity to more than 6000m2.

On a side note and not overly related to the Airports expansion, but ACTION have now also started services to Majura Business Park/Brand Depot (With Deanes Buslines now cancelling all weekeday services to Brand Depot) along with Brindabella Business Park and Fairbairn Business Park. Routes are 28 from/to Woden in Peak Hours Only, Route 10 from Belconnen and Civic on daytime services, along with many Xpresso Services.

Some photos taken today of the terminal exterior showing he extension to the walkway and signage added.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/2551259790_838054853f_o.jpg
Taken as a 767-300 moves into the bay. This aircraft was still there when I left at 9pm (VH-OGM I believe)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2238/2551259664_bea1922464_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/2551259592_6a2b2f2f14_o.jpg
Here is a timeline of the projects at the airport

Ash W
5th June 2008, 12:54 AM
They did a great job on the road and path surface from the hire car park. The rocks they sealed it with got caught in my brand new suitcase and buggered the wheels, and of course no where near to get a baggage trolley. Just hope the rest of the works are done better. Will see when I go 'home' next week.

Philip Argy
5th June 2008, 06:50 AM
Canberra Airport in Winter is not the place to arrive wanting a taxi - you now have to traipse 100 metres west to the re-located taxi rank and be exposed to icy wind and rain or whatever else the elements comprise on the day.

It's hard to see how that can be called "minor inconvenience". :mad:

Kelvin R
5th June 2008, 08:18 AM
I am in CBR once a week at the moment and the covered walkway does not go all the way to the rental cars which are now out in the open. It would be a good 800m walk from the rental car desk to the cars. Indeed any other airport in the world would offer a bus such is the distance. It adds a good 15 minutes onto your rental collection and drop off time. The rental car companies have been swamped with complaints and are none too happy about it either.

I understand a that a multi-story car park is going in hence why the rentals had to be moved and they will remain in the current location for the next 24mths or so.

At least the taxi area is covered but the rentals are out in the open.

Adam P.
5th June 2008, 10:32 AM
Aww poor babies!!! :mad:

Yeah it's a fair stumble to the hire car parking. It's even further to get from the GA parking area, past the hire car parking to the desks, then BACK to the hire car parking to pick up your vehicle, as I did last weekend...

Kelvin R
5th June 2008, 12:18 PM
Adam P. Are you doing that weekly as I am? If so, can I get a lift? :)

Adam P.
5th June 2008, 12:45 PM
Nope! Flew down Saturday, sadly got stuck by the weather and guess what, aeroplane's still there. Plan evolving to go get it out tomorrow I hope... :mad:

Andrew McLaughlin
5th June 2008, 01:40 PM
Nope! Flew down Saturday, sadly got stuck by the weather and guess what, aeroplane's still there. Plan evolving to go get it out tomorrow I hope... :mad:

Now who's the "poor baby"...won't even fly it home through a bit of cloud?!?!? :D:eek::cool:

Adam P.
5th June 2008, 04:50 PM
Oi! :mad:

Kieran Wells
5th June 2008, 06:45 PM
might go and check CBR out when i'm down there this weekend...Does Tiger fly there??

Adam P.
5th June 2008, 06:55 PM
Yep, from MEL.

Kieran Wells
8th June 2008, 11:59 PM
thanks Adam. Luckliy, forgot to check the schedules and was driving round to the back of the shopsmart outlet thing next to the run about 10ish on sat morning - and what comes in??

A TIGER!!! I was so excited made the other 3 people in the car go and park whilst i was taking photos of it coming in...Then as we were walking out and saying about driving round to the other side of the airport to get a closer view, it started movign(10.50ish) and out she came...funny cause it was a good time to get some photos with other movements happening VB, QF and a qantaslink..Will check the photos in the morning and post if there are some good ones!

Todd Milton
12th July 2008, 11:48 PM
An update.

The Qantas Administration area has been opened up and the new toilet block has been opened aswell. The men's is abit of a maze, with walls everywhere and many corners.

The new taxi rank now has TV's to entertain waiting patrons with the musings of BBC world news.

Road construction on the surrounding roads is well underway, and those visiting be pre warned of road closures and traffic buildup in the area, especially in the peak periods.

And on a side note aero care recieved a new pushback truck this evening which was being unloaded in the taxi queue outside the Qantas Staff Carpark. Somebodyvwanted to show off their new toy to the competition perhaps? ;)

Todd Milton
10th August 2008, 08:07 PM
A New ticketing office has opened for Qantas, which is next to the Rental Cars and Baggage Services has been moved with a temporary desk installed near Gate G.

Canberra Airport has also released plans for a second stage of Terminal Works, where roads will be changed and cut short (For example Termincal Cct will no longer travel as far as the virgin entrance, and instead cut through the carpark). When I find the map I picked up I will scan it and post it here.

Rod Sloan
11th August 2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.canberraairport.com.au/roads.htm

Ash W
11th August 2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.canberraairport.com.au/roads.htm

Pity the plan PDF doesn't work. The animatied version works though. One thing that caught my eye which is bloody stuipd is traffic from the QBN direction will need to cross airport to city bound traffic at grade. You would think that after all the effort they are going to to make it mostly grade seperated they would have done this little bit of road too. Looking at the 'picture' it wouldn't have been too hard to do it either.

John Thoroughgood
12th August 2008, 05:47 PM
For anyone looking for Tiger's arr-dep times at Canberra, I looked in on Saturday 2nd, expecting a 10ish arrival. Dissapointingly Tiger had already landed 0930, and was taxxing to its terminal point on the southern edge of the terminal. I stayed around the Factory Outlet carpark until it departed a tad after 1030.
Are these just weekend schedule times, or have they amended their daily schedule?

Steve Jones
12th August 2008, 06:45 PM
As of Monday, Tiger have 2 daily flights to/from Melbourne at new times - the morning flight is earlier and now there is a late afternoon/evening service as well. Times do vary on weekends - your best bet is to check the timetable on their website.

Todd Milton
18th November 2008, 02:13 PM
The road diversions of Tyson Drive and Terminal Cct are now in place to begin construction of the carpark and eventually the new terminal. The road now curves right after the Departures Entrance for Qantas. Airliner bus services are now near the temporary walkway where the road curves.

On the Qantas side of things, The Chairmans Lounge re-development has been completed, and the 'Private' lounge (As it was signed) up the ramp on the upper level has now been opened as a Business Lounge. On the down side of the ramp which leads to the Business Lounge is a brand new Aerobridge, one of the fancy driveable bridges (Made by FMC Jetway Systems) and is not fixed as per the current bridges at Canberra Airport, both Virgin and Qantas. When you taxi past, you will see it inbetween Gate 11 and Gate 6.

In the centre section of the terminal a Hudson's Coffee was opened a few months ago, they make a mean cup of joe, along with construction work beind the old Impulse counters. The area to the gate lounges on the virgin and Tiger side of the terminal have now been siged as PASSENGERS ONLY. This is from what I have heard due to peak period overcrowding, however I think it may take some business away from the Bar upstairs which caters for travelling patrons of the terminal, and their guests. Hopefully this policy will not be adopted within the new terminal.

And the Taxi Rank TV's (With one going missing every now and then) seem to have stopped playing BBC World News and have degraded themselves to playing Fox News. Every now and then you walk past and it is on Sky, maybe CNN. However it boils my blood to have Fox News playing, when they soley focus on America. Canberra Airport if you do happen to read this, most passengers do not want Fox News they want Sky News which is something more relevent to this country. Even BBC and CNN which play some interetsing news pieces and focus on news not often seen is more relevant.

On Pialligo Avenue the road has been tarred, the lights are up and the two roundabouts are being flattened to created Traffic Lights (Cnr Pialligo and Monaro Hwy Alt 23 have got thier lights up, ready for medians to be created).

Todd Milton
22nd November 2008, 10:41 PM
Here are some photos from the Construction around the Airport. The Roundabout at Morshead Dr, Pialligo Ave and Dairy Road (Alt23 extension, Monaro Hwy) is now traffic lights.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/3050211318_9c9fbf2a24_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/3050211270_b1e86e5017_o.jpg

The above two are of the Construction of Pialligo Ave. The Bridge has been completed, exits are nearing completion and lines have been layed for the stage when they close off the current road to re construct

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/3050211098_3fccc6d252_o.jpg
This photo is of the Construction of the Multi Storey Carpark, which replaces Terminal Cct and the old Carpark

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/3050211138_0494fcb476_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3050211184_a7a778a9b8_o.jpg
The Above two are of the Terminal Cct Deviation with relocated bus stop and a temporary walkway. The Deviation begins about 1 quarter of the way down the terminal building outside Qantas, Terminal Cct no longer serves the Virgin Blue/Tuger end (Ex Ansett) of the terminal.

Rod Sloan
23rd November 2008, 02:43 AM
Here are some photos from the Construction around the Airport. The Roundabout at Morshead Dr, Pialligo Ave and Dairy Road (Alt23 extension, Monaro Hwy) is now traffic lights.

Replacing a roundabout with lights on what is an extremely busy intersection. What a fantastic idea, Who ever came up with this idea is a moron. Grade separation and a flyover would have been a MUCH better option. Stupid ACT Govt !!!

Terminal Cct no longer serves the Virgin Blue/Tuger end (Ex Ansett) of the terminal.

This is also just bloody stupid. I also hope they fix those damn potholes just after the speed hump/ped xing on exit.

Kim F
23rd November 2008, 06:54 PM
Must admit though, that Roundabout at Dairy Flat had so many near misses every few seconds. I see that the intersection has many approach lanes but I wonder what the phasing will be and how much throughput each cycle !

Nigel C
23rd November 2008, 07:42 PM
Grade separation and a flyover would have been a MUCH better option. Stupid ACT Govt !!!

There would be one major factor which would have knocked any better options on the head, and that's money. If it was planned, then who was going to pay for it? Federal or Territory Governments?

Andrew M
23rd November 2008, 10:01 PM
Replacing a roundabout with lights on what is an extremely busy intersection. What a fantastic idea, Who ever came up with this idea is a moron. Grade separation and a flyover would have been a MUCH better option. Stupid ACT Govt !!!

Traffic lights are always the next step up from a roundabout, happens all over Australia.

Yes a flyover would be great, but who is going to pay for that ?

Traffic lights are a good fix for 5-10 years before worrying about the next upgrade !

Rod Sloan
24th November 2008, 03:42 AM
There would be one major factor which would have knocked any better options on the head, and that's money. If it was planned, then who was going to pay for it? Federal or Territory Governments?

My understanding is that the Federal Govt is/was coughing up some of the dough for these upgrades. I'm happy to be corrected though.

Near misses on the old roundabout were generally caused by drivers who don't know how to use them. And Canberra being full of roundabouts there seems to be a heck of a lot of drivers who fit this category.

Stephen B
24th November 2008, 07:30 AM
Guys, there is going to be an overpass at the Morshead Dr, Pialligo Ave and Dairy Road intersection. If you check the plans for the area it's shown going right over the top.

Roundabouts were a nice toy, but Canberrans don't have a clue what to do with them. I'm annoyed at having to stop for lights, but it's a hell of a lot safer than having morons turning right from the left lane into the side of my car!

In other news, a Quantas baggage loader just blinked............

Steve Jones
24th November 2008, 07:49 AM
Yes, the plan is for the Monaro Highway to be extended over the river, over that intersection with some sort of interchange and continue north past the Airport linking into the current Majura road somehwere north of the Airport (I think between the Airport and the VOR?). I believe where they're linking it to Majura road is designed to be a future interchange with a future Kowen parkway, when they put houses out that way. By that time, the Monaro Highway should be extended the full four lanes all the way to the Federal Highway.

I believe Federal Govt money is confirmed for this work, topped up by the ACT Govt. Construction due to start mid next year all going to plan, probably just as all the other roadworks around the Airport finally come to an end...!

Todd Milton
16th March 2009, 02:53 PM
A Few small updates.

The new Aerobridge located at the Qantas end of the terminal is in Operation, and is called Gate 13.

The Cafe has closed and relocated to the old Security Screening point for Virgin and Tiger. They now serve no hot meals, only cold food. Hudson's has moved inbetween the Qantas Sales Desk and the Rental Car desks. This is because the Cafe has taken up their old spot.

The roadworks around the Airport are going well, and the lead roads to the overpass need to be sealed in the most part before being opened. Roundabout entry to Pialligo has been flattened, ready to become an intersection. Entry to the Airport is now via the new Offramp from the City, and still Via Brindabella Business Park for those coming from Queanbeyan it is still via Brindabella Business Park (AFAIK). This is classed as Stage 1A and should all be open and operational shortly.

Steve Jones
27th March 2009, 11:21 AM
According to the Canberra Times, Canberra Airport is commencing a $14m construction of 3 new 737/A320 parking positions at the terminal.

Today is also the inaugural ADL-CBR flight on Tiger, with Virgin's CBR-HBA and CBR-TSV routes starting in just over a week's time.

Steve Jones
7th April 2009, 03:41 PM
Media release:

Infrastructure and jobs now for Australia’s future

More than a third of a billion dollars will be invested and more than 1000 jobs created through developments at Canberra International Airport during the next three years.

Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, the Hon Anthony Albanese, Canberra Airport Chairman, Terry Snow and Canberra Airport Managing Director, Stephen Byron, today celebrated the launch of the Southern Concourse Terminal – the first stage of the “AirVolution” vision.

“Six months ago, as a result of the uncertainty caused by the Global Financial Crisis, this project was dead. Now, thanks to a number of factors including the Federal Government’s bank guarantee and 30% Investment Allowance, we are now able to move forward with confidence,” Mr Byron said.

“This means an investment of $350 million in Canberra Airport’s “AirVolution” which will see world-leading new aviation facilities and create 1350 jobs.

“And this infrastructure will deliver an economic boost into the future, driving growth in the tourism and transport economies, not only in the Canberra Region but throughout Australia as we come online with full international capabilities including immigration and customs by the end of 2012,” Mr Byron said.

Mr Byron said by the middle of next year, the things that have annoyed travellers about Canberra Airport would be gone.

“The long exposed walk to the carpark will be gone. Instead there will be a four-storey carpark with completely covered access to the terminal and no roads to cross allowing passengers to safely and swiftly move to and from their flights.

“The long taxi queues on a windswept footpath will be a thing of the past with Australia’s first fully enclosed taxi rank which will feature television screens and other amenities.

“Whether you live in Canberra or whether you are a visitor, the focus of this new airport is about the experience of our passengers and this new terminal will be the best in Australia and for its size probably the best in the world,” Mr Byron said.

The new carpark, apron hardstand to park more jets and the Southern Concourse Terminal will be completed by the middle of 2010. The remaining works including a new Western Concourse Terminal will be completed in 2012 subject to planning and finance approvals.

‘AirVolution’ – Key Facts

• The AirVolution represents an investment of $350 million by Canberra Airport in new aviation facilities

• 3 million passengers a year use Canberra Airport. Forecast growth of 4.2% pa will see this rise to 7.2million by 2029

• To accommodate current and future demand, Canberra Airport is embarking upon a series of key aviation infrastructure projects, collectively termed the Airport’s “AirVolution”

• The AirVolution comprises the following projects:
- New Airport Gateway Road Intersection (grade-separated) and Duplication – complete and open;
- 3 new jet aircraft parking positions – under construction;
- 2 Structured Car Parks (1200 undercover spaces each) – the first is under construction;
- A New Southern Concourse Terminal – launched today; and
- A Western Concourse Terminal – planned to commence late 2010 (subject to various approvals including finance)

• Airport construction will drive more than 350 jobs on-site, with a further 1000 off-site in the supply chain. Once complete, there will be an additional 300 jobs associated with ongoing operation of the Airport.

• The Airport is determined to see that these employment benefits are primarily local. Of the more than 100 suppliers, 80% are expected to be from the local Canberra-Queanbeyan region.

• Together, the AirVolution Projects will deliver:
- International capability with dedicated customs, immigration and quarantine facilities
- More than double the number of check-in counters (from 17 to 44)
- A tripling of baggage capacity
- A quadrupling of Airline Club Lounge areas
- A two storey roadside drop off and pick up system - departures on the upper level and arrivals on the lower level
- An indoor taxi rank waiting area – a first for an Australian airport
- The greenest, most carbon friendly terminal in Australia

• The Southern Concourse Terminal will incorporate Trigeneration Technology, which will reduce the building’s carbon emissions by 75% compared to the existing facility. Trigeneration generates electricity on site from gas and captures the waste heat to air-condition and heat the building.

• Other environmental initiatives include a 600,000 litre tank to capture all rainwater, recycled water for toilets and air-conditioning, solar utilisation, waste recycling, fuel reduction initiatives and low energy fittings.

Stephen B
7th April 2009, 04:17 PM
A roadside pickup area, wow, how long before Maquarrie put in one of them in Sydney? :D

Steve Jones
7th April 2009, 04:56 PM
The Canberra Airport website now has some photos and a fly-through video of the new terminal:

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/air_newTerminal/images/NewTerminalAnimation.wmv

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/air_newTerminal/photogallery/main.swf

Nathan Long
7th April 2009, 05:44 PM
The stills look like Flight Simulator scenery.

Bob C
8th April 2009, 08:44 PM
I've never been to Canberra airport so can't comment on the existing facilities or conditions.

The planned renovations look terrific and when completed will provide a good, modern airport that befits the nation's capital.

Jarden S
14th April 2009, 11:20 AM
I am surprised that Jetstar don't fly out of CBR, They could do a flight to DRW to link up with the Asian flights there. Darwin is the last capital city not yet connected to Canberra. Surely there would be some demand for all those wealthy public servants to get away from the office for a visit to the top end. I guess it would happen one day. Maybe when the downturn is over.

Greg F
14th April 2009, 11:43 AM
I think the worst terminal (I have seen anyway) is QF Domestic @ Melbourne! its so old and crappy! Even Hobart is 100 times nicer now! ;)

Rhys Xanthis
14th April 2009, 05:42 PM
I think the worst terminal (I have seen anyway) is QF Domestic @ Melbourne! its so old and crappy! Even Hobart is 100 times nicer now! ;)

*cough* Perth *cough*

Todd Milton
6th August 2009, 05:29 PM
A While since the last update, but here is the latest!

Road Construction:

- The overpass has been open for quite a while now and traffic flows well, lead up roads from the City are three lanes

- A new slip lane has been opened to provide quicker access to Terminal Cct, and Nomad Drive. The Second exit loops back into the first.

- Just heard over the radio that the Traffic Lights are now in use where the Pialligo Ave/Beltana Road/Fairbairn Ave round-a-bout was. It should not be too long before that section of road is opened fully, when I went by there yesterday it was a small matter of installing a median and tarring up to the correct level

- Nomad Drive to the GA, Taxi and Air Freight areas is no longer accessible from Fairbairn Ave, however last I did see it will be reopened a little bit before the currrent turn off

Terminal and Carpark:

-The Carpark is going fairly well, with constrcution progressing of concrete laying of the Third level roof (Don't know if the 4th Floor has a roof, or if it is open air like most carparks).

- Australian Air Express has now moved down towards the GA to where Brindabella Airlines used to be (They have a brand new building). The old building was recently torn down so the terminal can be extended out.

It is all progressing very well and is starting to take shape, little by little.

Kieran Wells
6th August 2009, 10:50 PM
- Just heard over the radio that the Traffic Lights are now in use where the Pialligo Ave/Beltana Road/Fairbairn Ave round-a-bout was. It should not be too long before that section of road is opened fully, when I went by there yesterday it was a small matter of installing a median and tarring up to the correct level

It is all progressing very well and is starting to take shape, little by little.

This is correct - drove through this intersection about 1.15pm today, and was very surprised with the lights. Very well controlled, although i did not alot of people hanging around, presumably the people fixing up the lights as there were laptops connected into the box where the lights are controlled from. Still plenty to do in making the road level and median strips in.

Todd Milton
4th February 2010, 10:49 PM
Terminal is going really well, they have the first small section of it under construction and now towers over all the older buildings around it. They were placing up metal roofing today on the most upper sections of the building, three cranes at work aswell providing all the materials yesterday. I also heard they were putting up Glass and walls inside aswell, a little hard to see though due to green shade cloth around the site.

The new carpark is open, I think up to level 3. Thes rest of the buildiong is still under construction, as is most of the facade. Had to wander through there a few nights ago, and pass through there to get the bus every now and then. Good design, the lifts in it are huge (Well designed, good for luggage). The roads have also been changed infront of the terminal, it has been cut back further towards the end of the building (QANTAS terminal) and now loops through another section of the old car park. Looks like this will make way for them to start on multi level road construction for the dual level Arrivals/Depatures roads.

As for roads around the airport, work on Fairbairn Ave/Majura Road works are going steady, with road closures planned for the next few weekends. The traffic lights at Fairbairn/Pialligo/Beltana are running well, with tarring almost complete at this intersection and lines slowly forming into proper road markings. Progress on Majura Parkway (The final stage of the airport road project) seems to have stalled a little due to Government funding of the project, it is vital link which will link the Federal and Monaro higways, aswell as the Federal Highway to the airport with a much better road (Dual Carriageway, 100km/h freeway grade).

Nomad Drive and entry to the GA side of the airport was re-opened months ago, the road curves a few more times and ends up a more accessible distance from the traffic lights to enable you to get into the right lane if need be.

Grabbed a quick shot today, this is just an overview of the site where you can see the new terminal and carpark. Will try for less rushed shots tomorrow. Clicking on the photo will open a larger size.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4330216726_7ba068915f.jpg (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4330216726_ae590a4386_o.jpg)

Todd Milton
10th May 2010, 02:29 PM
Qantas spends $20m on ACT terminal
BY JOHN THISTLETON, BUSINESS EDITOR
10 May, 2010 06:18 AM
Qantas will spend $20 million on passenger facilities at Canberra Airport, including three new lounges as big as the airline's lounges at Sydney's domestic terminal.

The new passenger facilities will be incorporated into a $350million terminal upgrade now well under way which involves demolishing the existing airport terminal and constructing a new one four times bigger.

Coinciding with the opening in September of a new multi-user terminal in stage one of the project, Qantas will provide additional check-in facilities, increased lounge capacity, new business facilities and fast access to gates, providing speed and ease for passengers.

Qantas will occupy the entire top level of the new southern concourse section of the airport with a chairman's lounge, domestic business lounge and Qantas Club lounge. The new facilities will have views of the airfield and back towards Parliament House.

A new Virgin lounge will open in 2012.

The Qantas chairman's lounge will have showers, private work suites, a library, barista and food and beverage area while the domestic business lounge will have private work desks with business facilities, complimentary wireless internet, and increased bathroom facilities and shower access.

The Qantas Club lounge will have more bathroom facilities and shower access and wireless internet.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/qantas-spends-20m-on-act-terminal/1824962.aspx

Not overly much to say, as nothing notable has really happened!

*Roadworks surrounding the airport have been completed
*Work has started on the bi-level roadway for arrivals and departures
*Scaffolding is being slowly removed from the carpark and terminal, the sides facing the current terminal building are now clear as the facade is being completed (On the carpark atleast)

Other than that looking inside the building it is progressing well. Glass is in place on what will be the departures hall, escalators are in, looks as though it will be ready soon for internal work (If not already commenced). Had a look while wandering through the multi-storey carpark looking for lost wheelchairs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/4593863243_18fa45a0b6_o.jpg
The south wing, showing the temporary wall where the Western wing will connect with the building

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/4593863099_9f40b4df97_o.jpg
The Carpark and current Terminal road, which has been shortened twice to its current position just at the edge of the current terminal building

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/4593863005_39e8d0b923_o.jpg
The Airliner has been moved from the drop off zone to the Bus Zone from the Taxi rank, and now has a nice new Bollard sign signifying its new location

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1052/4593863467_1fce907c48_o.jpg
One of the 'Billboards' displaying Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow along Fairbairn Avenue

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/4594478574_8c59a64222_o.jpg
The new Australian Air Express freight centre

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/4593863599_56d0d424d5_o.jpg
The terminal approach roads under construction aswell as the new Carpark

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1031/4594478710_0695d22545_o.jpg
A View of the completed Fairbairn Avenue overpass and access roads to the Airport

Craig W
13th August 2010, 12:44 PM
I thought I would bump this thread with a question for those in the know. Has an opening date for the first half of the new terminal been confirmed yet? I've looked at the Canberra Airport website and there is no information other than a broad August/Sept opening and the live webcam, which is showing that the new elevated roadway is being built but no progress on the terminal building can be seen because of the temporary wall.

I spoke to the front desk attendent at the Qantas Club on my last trip at the end of May and she said that they had done a tour of the new terminal and the new Qantas Club and Business Lounge were bigger and better than the existing facilities.

Ash W
13th August 2010, 02:00 PM
Cannot answer your question, but this website has some pictures of the inside.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=349537&page=15

Craig W
13th August 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ash, those photos give a good indication that the planned August/Sept opening date is a bit optimistic but are also good to see how the new terminal will look when completed.

Steve Jones
10th September 2010, 06:53 PM
I came across this cool youtube clip of the aerobridge installation at CBR:

http://www.youtube.com/user/canairport?feature=mhum

Kim F
22nd October 2010, 03:55 PM
The last I heard was an October openning of the terminal building but October is running out of days. I have heard that the building itself may be ready but the elevated road still needs work. There was something in the Canberra Times recently that the Qantas Club will be the second biggest in Australia. Has anyone heard anything to confirm that ?

Kim F
23rd October 2010, 04:47 PM
Terminal opening 7 November !

Todd Milton
25th October 2010, 07:08 PM
I will believe the opening date when I am sitting behind the desk checking people in, and driving the new aerobridges ;) Took a drive on sunday and looked at the airside area of the terminal and they had quite a few working in all areas trying to get it ready. The Tarmac was being scrubbed to lay down bay markings, seats were piled up in the gate lounges, people working on electricals in the aerobridges. Went for a walk up into the Admin section of the carpark, which is some very nice office space. Currently only the Australian Rail Association has moved in.

Rod Sloan
7th November 2010, 07:31 PM
Nov 14th opening now.

Craig W
15th November 2010, 09:41 AM
The first stage of the new terminal opened yesterday, together with the new grade-separated departures and arrivals road loop. My father had a short notice trip to Melbourne this morning and I dropped him off. From what I could see the new terminal looks good. I'll be able to get some user impressions from my father when he returns tomorrow. He also was going to use the new Qantas Club lounge.

Todd Milton
30th November 2010, 07:10 PM
Well the new terminal is into its 3rd(?) or so week since opening. Anyone have any opinions of the new terminal?

Here are a few of my personal opinions on the new terminal space that I had placed on another forum, some of the problems I mention have had a few fixes:

Construction is still ongoing outside the terminal. The taxi holding area is yet to be completed, and entry to the terminal is surrounded on both sides by construction. The taxi holding area and landscaping should have been completed prior to opening. The passenger areas were cleaned ok for the opening, but other areas that passengers use are still dirty and full of dust. Walking into the terminal it still smells heavily of dust, they really need to do a huge clean of all surfaces
The terminal now 'smells' a lot cleaner, and the surfaces seem to be a lot cleaner than just after opening which is a good sign.

The signage is vague, not visible and there is a lack of information signs and screens throughout. Toilets are not even signed (Only when you walk into the toilet area), the downstairs one is in a little corner of which people never seem to be able to find because nothing points them there. Overhead signage is required in all areas, as well as more information screens. There is one in the check in hall, one in the arrivals hall (Which is smacked in the corner in between the lift and Qantas Baggage Services) and one in the new departures area opposite the Qantas Service Desk. Signage and Information is not practical.
They have added an extra arrivals/departures screen landside of security, no more have been placed up as of yet. Directional signs still at eye level or below, not practical especially when busy.

They have also provided screens at check in and at each gate, of which they have updated the graphics from tiny to bigger and removed a useless analogue clock. You can now actually read them from a small distance.

The security screening point has gone from 5 lanes in the old terminal (3 Qantas, 2 Multi User) to 3. Usually there are maximum 2 lanes open, when in the old terminal you would normally have 4 operating (2 each end, sometimes all three at the Qantas end). Doing the math on that, it equals "screw up". You are having the same amount to more people running through the security point including all stock which is required inside the sterile area
No change, and as there will be no room for change and won't be until the rest of the terminal is completed.

Some additional notes:
* The toilets have Dyson Airblades (Fantastic, as they actually dry your hands!) and no touch taps, flush and soap
* I am a fan of the design, it is modern, open and has a nice view of Fairbairn
* A Little sterile in colours, hopefully the Atrium will provide a bit more colour (That has been a huge opinion with many passengers in the terminal, the graphics had autmn coloured seating which would have made it brighter)
* Still very few outlets and shops, however that will improve shortly and construction is currently going on in the arrivals hall for a coffee shop
* No pick up zone, passengers being collected must still use the car park and the arrivals road bays/lay-by's are currently small as they have not finished any landscaping on the 'western' side of the roadway
* No recycling bins
* Music throughout the terminal
* Open air car parks are not at all popular with customers, but they never will be. At the moment one is complete, the other is under construction as well as an area for the second multi storey is fenced off and ready to start with construction
* Partially new airport, same transport problems (Lack of taxi's and bus services). Taxi's not really CAG's problem (ACT wide problem), but the limited bus service is as CAG contract Deane's to provide the service, and from what I have heard will not allow ACTION to service the terminal without charging them a premium (Came up a few years ago, and resulted in ACTION servicing the nearby Business Parks)

For those who wish to access the airport complex, there is no terminal access from Nomad Drive. Nomad Drive is open only till Australian Air Express, the rest is a one way link from the Terminal Road for access to Gate 5 operations, Staff Parking and Taxi's. You can access Nomad Drive for GA from a very stupidly placed road between the Terminal Road and Nomad which is one way only (Rough, floods, temporary but stil....)! Still a fair bit of road construction around Brindabella Cct, that looks to almost be completed.

Rod Sloan
1st December 2010, 02:30 PM
The little lights about head height while in a car driving up the departures road at night time are a blinding distraction. Quite poor design really.

The merge of departure and and arrival traffic exiting airport is an accident waiting to happen.

No arrivals screen at end of terminal where pax exit.

Todd Milton
2nd December 2010, 09:01 AM
Safety of terminal workers at risk: union

The Transport Workers Union (TWU) has raised concerns about risks to worker safety at the new Canberra Airport terminal.
More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/02/3082265.htm

Edit:

Another article has emerged.

Safety concerns raised on new terminal
BY PETER JEAN
02 Dec, 2010 08:27 AM
Qantas ground crew have refused to rule out walking off the job after claims workers narrowly escaped serious injuries on at least two occasions after the opening of a new terminal at the Canberra Airport.

The Transport Workers Union has raised a series of safety concerns about the new Qantas terminal, which started operations last month.
Source: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/safety-concerns-raised-on-new-terminal/2014418.aspx

Canberra Times have once again things wrong, it is not a Qantas Terminal but infact Canberra Airport's terminal. Qantas do not own it and Virgin Blue, Tiger and Qantas all share its facilities (Minus the gates, which are currently Qantas Only).

Rod Sloan
2nd December 2010, 02:04 PM
New cobblestones are lifting on the departures level. I'm picking they will have to re-lay them or seal the road.

Todd Milton
3rd December 2010, 04:45 PM
More today, regarding the flooding of the terminal area due to the massive amount of rain that fell on the region over night (80mm+). The image from the article below is Nomad Drive, the access to General Aviation and the Taxi Holding Area which was completely flooded. Apparently, the tarmac was under flowing water between ankle and knee deep (Would've hated to see the baggage room, which is under tarmac level). Terminal Building also had issues to do with leaking.

Capital lashed to a standstill
BY JACQUELINE WILLIAMS AND CHRISTOPHER KNAUS
03 Dec, 2010 09:00 AM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/multimedia/images/large/1025252.jpg

An early summer rainstorm brought the capital to a sodden halt yesterday as a deluge of about 60mm closed the airport, swamped the zoo and sparked 150 calls for help from the emergency services.

Flooding caused damage to streets and homes across the ACT as emergency services were called to properties with water damage in Higgins, Hawker, Weston, Latham, Holt and Calwell.

ACT State Emergency Service volunteers were also called to the National Zoo and Aquarium, to drain water from an animal enclosure, and a number of passengers at the Canberra Airport were stuck in transit because of temporarily delayed flights.

More: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/capital-lashed-to-a-standstill/2015593.aspx

Terminal workers 'want immediate action'

Posted 8 hours 58 minutes ago

Workers at Canberra Airport's new terminal will meet again next week to discuss safety concerns.

The Transport Workers Union (TWU) says there have been several incidents in which staff narrowly avoided injury because of poor safety practices.
More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/03/3083548.htm

Hugh Jarse
5th December 2010, 05:10 PM
Shambolic is what I'd call the new CB terminal.

From the moment you step on the footpath and have to pass through the stench of filthy smokers, to the long queues at screening.:mad:

Operationally, it's a disaster. Basically, for runway 35, if one aircraft pushes back the single taxiway is blocked. We experienced that yesterday when an aircraft had pushed from bay 1 (we were on 5). Then we pushed and another was on 2 or 3 and had to wait till we taxied.

This costs 2-5 mins per movement, and really is unacceptable for a so called "modern" airport. A parallel taxiway or bypass should have been designed into the plan to alleviate this problem. However that probably would have come at the cost of carpark revenue :D

It's nice that we can now get a coffee airside though. Particularly for those 0500 starts. (I'm being sarcastic) :p

Ash W
5th December 2010, 06:00 PM
Hugh, guess the link below show perfectly the situation in regards to push backs that you are talking about. Does seem very strange indeed to build an airport with this very basic limitation. But then again everyone knows that aviation is Snowtowns 4th priority at the airport behind office blocks, shopping centres and car parking.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-35.30771,149.188639&z=17&t=h&nmd=20100707

Ash W
19th February 2011, 08:17 AM
Used the new Canberra airport for the first time the other day. Overall it looks pretty functional, nothing too specy but not bad either. One thing struck me as odd though and that was the exit from airside to baggage collection. Anyone know why they didn't build one way chase runs (like Qantas terminals in Syd and Mel) to prevent people from using the exit as an entry? Instead they have 1 very bored security guard sitting there, seems like a waste of money when a technical solution would have sufficed.

Rod Sloan
20th February 2011, 05:30 AM
Taxi's not really CAG's problem (ACT wide problem)

Unfortunately a misguided and uninformed statement.

I'll also put it out there that the road leading to the taxi rank is in such a crap state that many taxis have been suffering mechanical damage and simply refuse to go out there. So...it really is partly CAG's problem.

Todd Milton
23rd February 2011, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately a misguided and uninformed statement.

I'll also put it out there that the road leading to the taxi rank is in such a crap state that many taxis have been suffering mechanical damage and simply refuse to go out there. So...it really is partly CAG's problem.

Uninformed and misguided? I will tell you that Taxi's and the current shortage is an ACT wide problem (Of which the Government is apparently trying to fix, I won't keep my hopes up), taxi's at night also tend to stay in the City. There is no real incentive for the Taxi's to remain at the airport (When they could stay in the city and get a City to Tuggeranong fare from a group), Even though there is no alternative transport at that time of night. I will agree with the temp. roadway, but you have to think that no matter the road surface some will still fall apart, and the fact that a cab shortage at the airport has been ongoing for many years. Also, I said it was not really CAG's problem, meaning that they are not the major player. Sure they could offer an incentive to Taxi Drivers to be there (Don't have any clue what it could be) but there is not overly much else they can do.

It is however CAG's fault for not promoting the Airliner service more, in fact they just leave the service with little signage or information provided to passengers regarding times and fares. Personally when I use public transport to the airport I use ACTION. I can use one ticket and works out cheaper, the walk is a bonus for the exercise.

Anyone know why they didn't build one way chase runs (like Qantas terminals in Syd and Mel) to prevent people from using the exit as an entry? Instead they have 1 very bored security guard sitting there, seems like a waste of money when a technical solution would have sufficed.
I would probably say the excuse is that it would have made the clean lines of that glass cube area look cluttered and would not have fitted in with the look of the terminal. I agree, would have been a better solution however it seems that looks trump practicality.

Rod Sloan
25th February 2011, 07:59 AM
Todd. Let me buy you a coffee sometime and sit down and I will explain the taxi industry so you have a better understanding..if you want.

Ash W
26th February 2011, 07:40 AM
Rod am surprised someone actually knows how the industry in Canberra works. I am impressed as it is a very messy system indeed.:)

PS. Have a question and before anyone jumps on me I am not being racist, my question is serious. But where did all the Indian taxi drivers come from? Yes I know the answer is India but how did some many end up driving cabs in Canberra? When I left Canberra 4 years ago there were more or less none, but now it seems as if almost every cab is being driven by an Indian. I dropped off a hire car at the airport yesterday and then wanted to go to Fyshwick to pick up a new car and the driver had no idea where Canberra Toyota was.

Ash W
28th February 2011, 07:54 PM
Used the airport outbound for the first time today, seems to work pretty well.

Though who ever it was that designed the multistory carpark should be taken out the back and shot. The turn into ramps between floors are so tight it wouldn't take much to scrape the side of the car on the Armco that lines the side of it. Indeed on every corner there was clear evidence that this has happened many times. In fact even the presence of Armco on the corners would be a clue to say the turn into the ramps is not wide enough.

Rod Sloan
1st March 2011, 06:47 PM
PS. Have a question and before anyone jumps on me I am not being racist, my question is serious. But where did all the Indian taxi drivers come from?

Melbourne

Bevan Webber
1st March 2011, 09:00 PM
The renovations at Canberra airport are looking good. Well the Qantas side of the terminal looks all shiny and new, when I was there in January. :)

PS. Have a question and before anyone jumps on me I am not being racist, my question is serious. But where did all the Indian taxi drivers come from? Yes I know the answer is India but how did some many end up driving cabs in Canberra?

It isn't just Canberra but also Brisbane has a lot of Indian taxi drivers.

The main reason is the rules set up allow overseas students to work in Australia.

Link to story from Brisbanetimes (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/indian-taxi-drivers-investigated-following-sting-20100611-y14r.html).

Under visa rules students are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week.

Rod Sloan
8th March 2011, 05:59 PM
Though who ever it was that designed the multistory carpark should be taken out the back and shot. The turn into ramps between floors are so tight it wouldn't take much to scrape the side of the car on the Armco that lines the side of it. Indeed on every corner there was clear evidence that this has happened many times. In fact even the presence of Armco on the corners would be a clue to say the turn into the ramps is not wide enough.

The inside (left) barriers have been removed.

Waste of money putting them in ? Yup

Lack of forethought before they went in ? You bet

Remember the PPPPPP's Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

Ash W
9th March 2011, 04:45 AM
Think the problem wasn't the barriers but the tightness of the turn to get onto the ramp. But good to hear they have disappeared.

One other thing I have noticed as a twice daily visitor to the airport (owing to my wife now working there and not having her own car yet) that has been poorly done is the exit road, in particular where city bound traffic merges with traffic from QBN. As you leave the airport there are two lane that go beside the fly-over. The left lane continues without merging but the right lane has to merge with the left hand lane from the fly-over. The problem being the merge is so close to where the fly-over ends that it is hard to see what is coming to merge safely coupled with the fact the traffic on the fly-over is coming faster than airport traffic. Of course the sensible thing to do is to get into the left lane, but if you are coming from the terminal then you are funneled into the right lane and if your a first time user, unfamiliar with the road you wouldn't know this, so is an easy recipe for an accident in the future.

Would have though the most sensible thing to have done here is to have the two lanes from the airport merge beside the fly-over and not have to worry about merging with the QBN traffic. It's not like the traffic from the airport is that heavy to actually need two lanes at this point, one would suffice.

Kim F
9th March 2011, 07:25 AM
Plus 1 to Ash - That is a very short merge zone!

Rod Sloan
9th March 2011, 02:11 PM
Another merge blackspot is coming off the upper level you merge with traffic on the lower level. Problem is that due to a concrete wall you can't see what's below you till you are almost merging.

I did suggest to Steve Byron that it was an accident waiting to happen and that perhaps a convex mirror might be a good idea.

I'm thinking due to the lack of a mirror he didn't think my idea had any merit :)

Re the barriers. The ability to get up those ramps has been greatly improved since the barriers were removed. Still a reasonably tight turn but well within the capabilities of the average driver :) I just wouldn't try taking a Hiace or anything up there is all.

Todd Milton
20th March 2011, 11:45 AM
Looks as though they have listened to people and have atleast created at 10 minute pick up zone. Still, it does not stop people using the round-a-bout as a damn pick up point though (Or the one lane road that leads to the carparks and BBP).

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/air_toAndFrom/images/10minPickup.jpg

Ash W
20th March 2011, 03:37 PM
Must admit I have been guilty of this when picking up my wife when she has finished work. Why they couldn't actually make somewhere to stop without entering the carpark is beyond me.

Oh used the 10 minute park once and the thing tried to sting me for 1.50 despite my ticket showing an entry time of 12:10 and the exit machine showing 12:09. A quick press of the help button fixed that, but vowed not to use it again. 10 minutes is 10 minutes.

Geoff W
20th March 2011, 09:21 PM
Interesting I was in CBR on Wed & Thur this week,

Taxi to the city was frightening, The "f" word was mentioned many times by the 20ish year old skip girl. She was VERY intolerant of any traffic. It wasnt busy I swear.

Back to the airport I had a racing car driver, it cost me less than into CBR and we got stuck with roadworks!

CBR have to do something for smokers, my observations, outside the entrance to the terminal, there is NOTHING but (pardon the pun) butts and ciggie packs, just thrown all over the area near the works on the L/H side entrance it is appalling.

I didnt observe an area or facilities for smokers. I saw lots of smokers. I am assuming pre flight or post

I find it interesting that if you like it or not,there is no incentive to encourage smokers to be thoughtful.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Kelvin R
21st March 2011, 06:33 AM
At $40 to $80 a day often a rental car is cheaper and easier than taxis in CBR, even if just going into the city and back. The bus is also pretty good if the timing of flights is right if you need to just go into the city.

It looks like it would take 10 minutes to walk off a Dash-8 to the 10 minute free collection point. CBR airport is taking lessons from SYD airport in regards to this?

Ash W
21st March 2011, 06:43 AM
It looks like it would take 10 minutes to walk off a Dash-8 to the 10 minute free collection point. CBR airport is taking lessons from SYD airport in regards to this?

Of course they are, airports are all about making money, not providing a service. Car parking is very easy money, hence their argument about it being a security risk to stop to pick passengers up, all that does is force people into their paid carpark.

Anyway one trick for those waiting for passengers is further down oppoiste the Qantas link hanger you will find some 1 hour car parks. Go wait their and when your passengers have received their bags go to the 10 minute parking, stop pick-up and leave.

Mike W
21st March 2011, 04:25 PM
by the 20ish year old skip girl.

Geoff, please excuse my ignorance, but what's a "skip girl"

Ash W
21st March 2011, 08:27 PM
Geoff, please excuse my ignorance, but what's a "skip girl"

Think you will find it means an Aussie girl.

Mike W
22nd March 2011, 06:17 PM
This is Australia isn't it? I would expect that kind of reference to an Aussie girl overseas but not here. :confused:

Ash W
22nd March 2011, 07:35 PM
Used to be pretty common when I went to school, (finished late 80's). Being such a multiculural country every group of people had a name. There was of course the wogs, a few others I won't mention and of course the skippies.

Ash W
23rd March 2011, 05:58 PM
Getting back on topic I notice that demolition of the Qantas end of old terminal has started. What was the Qantas club is now open to the air and they have started to knock down the awning that covered the front. Guess it won't take too long for it to be turned into rubble.

Geoff W
23rd March 2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks Ash, for your explanation. I concur and it was the way I meant.

Mike down here EVERYONE wants to get stuck into our asian sub continent taxi driver friends.

I have had many great experiences with them, have had a couple of ordinary ones also mind you.

My point was to ensure I wasnt picking on another nationality. as I believe both the lass & the guy were as Aussie as me (born & bred here )

I am not going to get involved in a racist debate.

(1) I am not a racist.

(2) I maintain, that by many I work with I am perceived to be a 'skip' hey I dish it out where appropriate....

As Ash say's we all have our names like it or not.

For what's it worth I married into one of the Eastern European (original wogs, they will & do cheerfully say so now) families that did get to move here in the tough days (the wog term really hurt back then) and I am proud of it.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Todd Milton
28th April 2011, 05:56 PM
Demolition of the Qantas building at the end of the old terminal looked completed as of a few days ago, only the slab was left (And a lift shaft) and the old Qantas Engineering Shed.

Rental Car offices are slowly being put together, the only office that has been completed is for the hard working carpark/customer service officers who are now housed down the end of the carpark closest to the round-a-bout. Rental/Hire carpark is having boomgates installed, supposedly to prevent people from picking up passengers inside this car park or parking in the very expensive rented spots.

A new walkway has been completed (or atleast most of) at Gate 14 for bays 1 and 1A. Still minor work to be done, a few lights to be fitted etc. This did cause a bit of annoyance for a week or two as the airport group had blocked off the escalators leading to the bays during construction, causing passengers to use the stairs (Great for some, not so great for others, but it was worked around). Would have been easier to ensure this end of the terminal was completed before opening it.... However, with its opening it should ensure a little bit less of a walk in the rain, unless the rain happens to be diagonal and comes through the large gap in the glass at the top of the structure.

Still a great lack of signage throughout the terminal, signs still at people height so if you stand in front of the sign no one else can see it, and signage still on the floor (Where apparently everyone arriving at the new terminal walks with their heads pointing towards the ground, instead of up at their shiny new showpiece). Nothing has really been done, except for the Departures sign which has been made larger (Still, on the wall and in the corner where you cannot see it from the check in counters). A great lack of screens beyond Gate 11 and the screening point to gate 14. Passengers have to walk from Gate 13/14 to opposite Gate 11 to view any arrivals or departures information (Especially as the screens do not update quickly enough at each gate). The signage along the road seems to be non-reflective, non-standard in font and design and does not give a great deal of information (However, that being said there is not a great deal more than arrivals or departures that you can put on the signs). The 10 minute zone now has temporary signs on every pole, leading to that park, now all it needs is a waiting structure for passengers waiting to be picked up, so they can sit down or not get soaked. May avoid passengers waiting next to the round-a-bout, and then being picked up on the single lane road in the wet (Because it is under cover there).

Not sure if this has been covered or not, but Pets are no longer accepeted at Canberra Airport for check in at the check in desk, nor for collection in the baggage hall (Service animals only permitted inside the terminal). Qantas/QLink recommend AAE (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/travelling-with-pets/global/en#jump0) while Virgin states that you check pets in at Gate 5 (The grey Airport Operations Building http://www.virginblue.com.au/Personal/Flightinfo/BeforeYouFly/Pets/PetCheck-inLocations/index.htm).

Todd Milton
13th May 2011, 09:44 AM
Canberra Airport was evacuated this morning due to a gas leak when a construction worker allegedly hit a gas main.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/canberra-airport-reopens-after-evacuation/2162211.aspx

Jacob P
13th May 2011, 12:28 PM
Hope it doesn't happen tomorrow arvo!

Zac M
9th March 2013, 12:14 PM
BUMP:
Stage 2 opens on Wednesday, changes include:
-Relocation of Security Screening
-Virgin to be re-located with the old terminal to be demolished almost immediately (pretty sure that is starting on the 18th)
-New Virgin Lounge
-Virgin check-in relocation, I believe Qantas takeover their current desks (could be wrong though)

I think that is all from a public perspective. Stage 3 which is just the Central Atrium and gates 9/10 should be completed in October which will conclude the works.