PDA

View Full Version : USAF to replace VC-25's

Jaryd stock
29th May 2012, 10:54 PM
The US department of defense has put plans in place to replace the two VC-25A's, the secretary of the Airforce has said that it is still uncertain at this stage what aircraft they are looking at to replace both 747's but that the new aircraft would begin flying around 2018-19.

New,sensitive state of the art comm systems are being developed at the moment and will be ready for integration later this decade, both current 747's were handed over to USAF in 1990 and 1991, the new aircraft are rumored to be either based on the 777-300 or more likely the 747-800, although EADS might throw their hat in to the ring and offer a A380 variant. The department of defense has also highlighted that that there might be a requirement for three aircraft......

James P.
29th May 2012, 11:33 PM
although EADS might throw their hat in to the ring and offer a A380 variant.

I thought Airbus stated that they weren't going to enter the bid because it wouldn't be profitable to manufacture such a limited amount of A380s stateside?

All things considered, I can't see anything less than a 747 carrying out this job without sacrificing capability. As it is, every inch of the VC-25 is occupied, and no amount of miniaturisation is going to change that. The ECM and certain threat warning sensors alone occupy the length of the plane, just behind the upper deck.

Interesting to see a third aircraft being considered as well - a possible replacement for the E-4B?

Jaryd stock
30th May 2012, 06:34 AM
That's what I thought James, I thought EADS were pulling out due to the fact they would never get a lookin, could you imagin the uproar there would be if an American President flew around on a overseas made VIP transport. The thing is like a billboard for the nation so to speak, so I think EADS are only doing it to pee off Boeing....

I remember reading somewhere that the third aircraft was being considered by the DoD so they can keep the hours down on each aircraft, at the moment the VC-25's because they are used so much, there landing gear are starting to get problems due to wear and tear in them, although when quizzed USAF declined to comment although a retired pilot did confirm that a couple problems were seeping in due to age and the rate it's being used...