PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Trip Report, Vancouver - Seattle.

Tim B
31st May 2012, 09:02 PM
I will be travelling from Vancouver to Seattle in late August, and the travel agent has booked me with Horizon Air.
Not knowing much about Horizon Air I looked them up and discovered they run a fleet of Bombadier Q400's.
It was a surprise when I got my holiday itinerary from the travel agent, and the plane listed for the Vancouver - Seattle flight was a DHC-4 Caribou.
The travel agent couldn't understand it when I let out a big "What The...", in her office, and assured me it will be a good flight.:)

P.S. Photo's will be posted if it really isn't a typo.:eek:

Justin L
1st June 2012, 05:56 AM
Horizon Air is now part of the Alaska Airlines group and as QantasLink are to Qantas, Horizon Air are to Alaska Airlines. Alaska's main hub is Seattle, and there are many Horizon props based there doing the short hop flights out of Seattle to the nearby regional northwest US and Canadian airports. However, the only props they now use are the Q400s.

Horizon Air are also noted for their liveries of college sports teams colors and mascots for schools in the Pacific Northwest, so you should see some interesting liveries during your layover.

Also, you can earn FF points with QF on Alaska, so perhaps you can with the Horizon flight also.

I have never flown on Horizon, but have several times on Alaska and they are one of my favorite airlines in the US for their service, airport gate organization, and boarding procedures. I dare say Horizon would use the same processes.

Enjoy!

Radi K
1st June 2012, 06:15 AM
I think because its listed as a DH4 you got confused. DH4 is the Dash 8 - Q400

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Alaska_Airlines/Alaska_Airlines_Q400.php

Paul S.
1st June 2012, 12:16 PM
I flew them last month from PDX - SEA on the dash 8 400. very friendly service but a very quick flight, you are barely up and you coming down again. The flight crew seem do do the same runs and struggled to remember what town they were in but it got a lot of laughs during the PA anoucement . very laid back but no complaints i got my free drinks and packet of nuts! If you need any info on spotting in SEA let my know and i will help you if I can if thats what you are going to do.

Tim B
2nd June 2012, 08:16 PM
My itinerary definitely mentions the words DHC-4 Caribou, although I can now see where the mistake may come from.
My itinerary involves flying to Vancouver direct from Sydney with Air Canada, and the domestic flights around Canada, Alaska and USA with Alaska Airlines.
For some reason, I an flying from Vancouver to Anchorage via Seattle (at least its another airport to tick off the list), and if I ever get bored in Anchorage, the Alaska Aviation Museum is between Anchorage Airport (one of the busiest cargo airports) and Lake Hood floatplane airport (the busiest floatplane airport in the world). The website says just look for the DC6 and you will find the museum.:)

Justin L
3rd June 2012, 06:01 AM
The variety and volume of predominantly Chinese, Korean, and Japanese cargo airlines and their 747Fs you will see in ANC will amaze you. Quite a large FedEx fleet based there to.

Traveled around Alaska about a year ago (and used airports at SIT, JNU, ANC, FAI, and CXF). It is an amazing place. If you would like any information please feel free to PM me.

One aviation point of note for Anchorage, is that if you take the Alaskan railroad to Seward you will pass a grass airstrip in a residential neighborhood with many small prop planes parked there. They just take off right behind the back fences of a row of houses. The airstrip is right in between the back fences of the houses and the railway line. They will point it out on the train and there are viewing decks at the end of each carriage where you can take shots.

Kelvin R
3rd June 2012, 10:00 AM
Transiting YVR int to int can be quite confusing. You do not complete the Canada arrival paperwork but on arrival proceed to the US transit area where you will be given the US paperwork. From there you will clear US immigration and customs before ending up in the US flights section of the terminal. I found my AC crew had no idea of the process but the ground staff will. The signage however is quite small so make sure you pay attention. It is just a little A4 sized sign directing you down a corridor. From my flight from NRT there was only 3 transit PAX which made it all the more confusing.

In terms of Horizon Air they are the QantasLink of Alaska Air. The flight from YVR to SEA is really quick a bit like SYD-CBR and the views are excellent. Try and get a window seat on the left hand side (so an A seat) for the best view. As has been mentioned the plane is a Q400 (DH4). Out of SEA you will probably want a right hand side window seat for the best view.

Alaska Air is not the greatest airline in terms of food or inflight entertainment so you will want to make sure you have a book/ iPad/ kindle and BYO food on board. SEA airport has a pretty good food selection. Think Jetstar in terms of seat comfort but with a free drink.