PDA

View Full Version : Overweight flight attendants face grounding

Mike Scott
7th June 2008, 01:34 AM
An Indian court has ruled that the national airline Air India can ground overweight cabin crew members, a spokesman for the carrier said today.

Two years ago Air India warned its nearly 1600 cabin crew workers to shape up in two months or risk being assigned to ground duties. When the airline grounded staff it deemed overweight, some of them took it to court.

On Wednesday the Delhi High Court said in a judgment that there was "no unreasonableness or arbitrariness" in the airline's decision, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

A copy of the court's decision was not immediately made public.

"The court has vindicated our stand in totality," an Air India spokesman, Jitender Bhargava, said. Lawyers for grounded staff who had filed the lawsuit could not be reached for comment this evening.

The airline said earlier that fitness and efficiency were the reasons for its cabin crew weight standards, which it said were based on combinations of height, age and gender. It did not give further details about how such standards were determined.

Bhargava said that the airline used a "scientific" system to determine its standards, and that both male and female staffers were affected by the decision to ground some employees.

India has laws aimed to protect against discrimination based on factors including caste, gender and religion, but no specific ones about weight.

Bhargava did not say how many staff members would be affected, or give any details about weight limits.

It was not immediately clear if anyone would appeal the latest court decision.

Air India has tried in the past few years to change a public perception of its cabin staff as tired, unfriendly and inefficient.

India's airline industry has grown dramatically in recent years as rising incomes and loosened regulations put air travel within the reach of millions of new customers.

The market has also become more competitive with the recent launches of several private and low-cost airlines.

PS: I took the liberty of posting this one in the crew lounges @SFO !!!! (hint hint):D:D:D

MS

Rhys Xanthis
7th June 2008, 02:24 PM
"The court has vindicated our stand in totality," an Air India spokesman

LOL.

Craig Lindsay
7th June 2008, 07:29 PM
Less weight the less fuel used>

Daniel M
7th June 2008, 07:32 PM
lucky you're not cabin crew with them then hey Craig...

Brenden S
8th June 2008, 05:13 PM
Just wait until they put a FAT tax on the "Large" pax to cover the increased fuel useage ;)

Phillippe M
6th January 2009, 08:22 AM
Indian Air fires 10 overweight flight attendants
Staff writers - AAP - January 06, 2009 07:50am

AN Indian airline has dismissed ten female flight attendants who were grounded for being overweight. The sackings came after the Air India cabin crew were warned about meeting minimum physical fitness standards and given sufficient time to lose weight, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

The flight attendants were also offered alternative ground assignments which they allegedly refused.

Delhi High Court last year upheld Air India's right to reassign overweight attendants, citing clauses in their contracts that barred them from flight duties if they put on too much weight.

The court had noted that the state-run airline needed fit attendants to compete with private rivals in India's fiercely competitive aviation market.

A lawyer for the sacked cabin crew said the dismissals were against the law as the case was being heard by India's Supreme Court.

“The action is illegal and against the natural justice. I will soon file an application in the Supreme Court against the (sacking) order,” lawyer Arvind Sharma said.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,24878442-5009000,00.html

NickN
6th January 2009, 08:29 AM
I have a thyroid problem ok, it's genetic! :D:D

Jack B
6th January 2009, 10:32 AM
What about United? Obese Grandmothers, from what I've heard?

NickN
6th January 2009, 11:08 AM
If they are grannies they are probably senior (in experience not age!) flight crew I doubt UA would want to alientate their most skilled in-flight staff.

Bernie P
6th January 2009, 12:10 PM
If they are grannies they are probably senior (in experience not age!) flight crew I doubt UA would want to alientate their most skilled in-flight staff.

Trouble with that is, you need to HAVE skilled staff in the first place!!! :D :p :D

Philip Argy
6th January 2009, 12:33 PM
Trouble with that is, you need to HAVE skilled staff in the first place!!! :D :p :D

United we stand, divided we ... :eek:

Bernie P
6th January 2009, 12:44 PM
United we stand, divided we ... :eek:

Diet perhaps??? lol!

NickN
6th January 2009, 12:50 PM
All the fat hosties can be put on a regimen of those diet shakes and lemon detox diets.

Rhys Xanthis
6th January 2009, 01:23 PM

Hmm, I don't know...this IS United we're talking about!

Mike Scott
6th January 2009, 11:56 PM
Forget the Lemon Detox diets...most of them are more interested in Botox diets;). I have to live with them every trip unfortunately so I can attest to the fact that they aint getting any smaller, lighter, or younger !!!:mad:

And lets not go down the "skilled" road :rolleyes:

MS

NickN
7th January 2009, 09:27 AM
"United, Fly The Overweight Skies"

I noticed on their website they are offering LAX-SYD for US$499 (AU$692) one way which seems very cheap. What is the normal fare for this trip outside of the sale period?

Mike Scott
8th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Nick, I have no idea...sorry mate . I always fly @ employee rates which have nothing in common with regular full fares.;)

Regards

MS

David Ramsay
8th January 2009, 01:29 PM
Most of the time you get paid to fly ... not the other way around. :p

NickN
8th January 2009, 01:57 PM
So the sale must be for THEM to pay you US$499 to put up with the grannies and poor service:D

Mike Scott
10th January 2009, 03:17 PM
Thats a great idea....one that will go over well when it comes to our new contract negotiations which start this year. Thanks !!!:cool:

MS

Jack B
10th January 2009, 03:25 PM
i remember a few years back a United Flight Attendant retired and she was 85 or something around that

are there actually UA flight attendants coming into Sydney in the over 70's age bracket?

Mike Scott
11th January 2009, 07:06 AM
Yes...her name was Iris Peterson and she was with us for 60 years as an F/A. Had 6 diamonds on her purser wings (they probably had to make her a special set to hold all the fake diamonds. They get one fake diamond for each 10 years service so you can always tell how long they have been around by checking out their wings (no not counting the lines on their faces) I only met her a few times...she commuted from Seattle ..a very nice lady (from the old school) but I have no idea how she ever made it through annual recurrent training...couldnt even lift her carry on (used to stuff it in the first class closet) so she could never deal with a door in an emergency. Luckily she never had any that involved getting a door open in a hurry.

MS