PDA

View Full Version : Unusual approach QF164

Philip Argy
7th June 2008, 10:23 AM
Noticed a B767 shortly after 10 am on a heading of about 250 crossing Cockatoo Island on its way up Sydney Harbour with wheels down. She then executed a tight left turn over Drummoyne and only became established on 16R quite close in over Leichardt.

Going by the time and a/c type I'm guessing it was QF 164 from Auckland but my question is how usual is that approach. I wish I'd had a camera as I don't usually see such a tight turn with wheels down so far south of the Parramatta River except with the Dash 8s.

Bernie P
7th June 2008, 11:30 AM
Noticed a B767 shortly after 10 am on a heading of about 250 crossing Cockatoo Island on its way up Sydney Harbour with wheels down. She then executed a tight left turn over Drummoyne and only became established on 16R quite close in over Leichardt.

Going by the time and a/c type I'm guessing it was QF 164 from Auckland but my question is how usual is that approach. I wish I'd had a camera as I don't usually see such a tight turn with wheels down so far south of the Parramatta River except with the Dash 8s.

Must say, I saw the same thing in Concord and thought it was a wierd angel...

Adam P.
7th June 2008, 11:48 AM
<blatant speculation>
Retiring Captain on a sightseeing detour for his last approach?
</blatant speculation>

Philip Argy
8th June 2008, 12:31 AM
<blatant speculation>
Retiring Captain on a sightseeing detour for his last approach?
</blatant speculation>

Hence your current "Location"? :)

Grant Smith
8th June 2008, 04:33 AM
Must say, I saw the same thing in Concord and thought it was a wierd angel...

I'd have thought a 767 was a weird looking angel too...

:D