PDA

View Full Version : Pel air jets

Jim M
16th July 2012, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

I had a question put to me yesterday which I couldn't really answer,so I thought I'd put it to a panel of experts.
Can anyone tell me the best times and where to view/photograph the Pel air freight jets,particularly the Westwinds?

I was under the impression that they conducted a lot of night ops out of Sydney,but I could be wrong and I remember seeing them parked on occassions near air ambulance,but haven't seen any lately.

Any info,I'd be grateful for and will pass it on

Cheers
Jim

Paul f.
16th July 2012, 06:38 PM
Westwind VH-KNU is a Air Ambulance and is in Air Ambulance Victoria livery.

Grahame Hutchison
16th July 2012, 07:02 PM
The Pel Air aircraft (http://www.16right.com/GetRego.php?Rhname=PEL-AIR AVIATION PTY LIMITED)... more than I thought !

Nigel C
16th July 2012, 07:04 PM
We haven't had a Westwind parked here for some time now, and in fact I can't remember the last time I saw a Pel-Air one even here for a visit.
They used to be regularly occupying spots in the Eastern Park, but certainly nothing recently.

Jim M
16th July 2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and info. Nigel,I didn't think it was my imagination,the Westwinds were regularly there in the past,but I haven't seen one for ages either.

Anyone know what's changed,or where are they now and what are they doing if not coming to YSSY at all? :confused:

Jim

Nigel C
16th July 2012, 08:42 PM
I think it was the GFC that changed it all up. The freighter Metros stopped coming here when that all started and the Westwinds stopped running freight from here at about the same time.

I can't help you with their current location or activities, sorry.

Jim M
16th July 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks Nigel,appreciate your info.
I guess we do know that the aircraft are still doing something here in Australia,maybe someone on here may know what...
I note that Paul said one was in Air Ambulance Vic colours and have heard some may be operating for Careflight.

Cheers
Jim

Mick F
16th July 2012, 10:01 PM
I hear they're using them for boat cruises in the Pacific these days, ;)

Rob R
16th July 2012, 10:15 PM
One is now a reef near Norfolk Island.

Grahame Hutchison
17th July 2012, 01:40 PM
Noticed Pel-air Westwind 1124 VH-KNU (317) 1981 model on ADS-B this morning at 10:08

Jim M
17th July 2012, 03:59 PM
One is now a reef near Norfolk Island.

I believe that is VH-NGA.

Thanks everyone for your info. IF,anyone has any further info I'd appreciate them posting it too. I am getting this info for someone else,but given all the changes that have happened over recent times re the ops of these aircraft,I must admit to becoming a little curious myself,especially given they used to be regulars at YSSY.

Cheers
Jim

Bob C
17th July 2012, 06:25 PM
Hi Jim

We've had two in W A in recent times ; VH-KNS on 25/6 and -KNR on 10/6 ; the latter at RAAF Pearce probably involved in an ADF execise. I'm not sure if -KNS went to Perth or RAAF Pearce. And -KNU was noted at RAAF Pearce on 13/12/10.

I think that several of the Pel Air Westwinds MAY be based at Nowra and operate with the RAN as low flying, high speed targets. They seem to appear in the West when major exercises are held off the coast.

Cheers

Bob

Jim M
17th July 2012, 06:33 PM
Cheers Bob,that I was not aware of. It just proves that you learn something new every day! Thanks for the info.
I have also had some further info that AJJ may be operating aeromedical for Careflight,with at least Careflight decals on the side. May be in full livery,but no confirmation of that.

Cheers
Jim

Bob C
17th July 2012, 06:51 PM
Hi Jim

VH-KNS was based in Perth from 1 June 2008 to operate for Careflight but the service was discontinued in June 2009 after the present Liberal Government came into power.

The RFDS introduced its Hawker 800XP jet, VH-RIO, in October 2009.

Cheers

Bob

Paul f.
6th August 2012, 08:55 PM
VH-KNU in its new livery at Essendon

Brian Wilkes
6th August 2012, 09:54 PM
Shot Paul, taken down at the Ambo car park?

Jim M
7th August 2012, 10:39 AM
Anyone know the where abouts of AJJ these days?

Had heard it may be at Essenden too....

Jim

Paul f.
7th August 2012, 02:01 PM
Shot Paul, taken down at the Ambo car park?Yes its based there now.

Paul f.
7th August 2012, 02:02 PM
Anyone know the where abouts of AJJ these days?

Had heard it may be at Essenden too....

JimNot at Essendon.

Jim M
7th August 2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks Paul,and so the mystery deepens.... :confused:

Jim

Dave Parer
7th August 2012, 08:51 PM
VH-AJJ and VH-KNS were based in Townsville through June when the F18's were up here on military exercise.

I took these photos one afternoon when they returned back to TSV along with the F18's -

http://i50.tinypic.com/1yty0x.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/1eutdf.jpg

Jim M
7th August 2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks for that Dave,that's great info. At least we know where some of them have been recently.

By the way,nice photos,thanks for posting.

Cheers
Jim