PDA

View Full Version : Piper Cherokee nose wheel failure, Canberra

Todd Milton
14th August 2012, 01:29 PM
Saw this coming in on finals (runway 30), and then the next thing I noticed is that the aircraft was sitting on its nose just before the 35/30 intersection!
Student pilot crash lands at Canberra Airport

A light plane has been towed off the runway after its front wheel collapsed on landing at Canberra Airport around midday.

According to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, the plane was being piloted by a student on a training flight.

A Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman Peter Gibson said the nose wheel of the plane collapsed on landing.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/student-pilot-crash-lands-at-canberra-airport-20120814-245sg.html#ixzz23UHQOZJV

Matt_L
14th August 2012, 02:19 PM
Gotta take exception to the last few lines of the report The ATSB said it will not send an investigator, but is expecting a full report from the pilot of the plane

Given the ATSB, like all our Govt agencies is headquartered in Canberra, within 10kms of the airport I don't think they need to send an investigator very far- right on their doorstep! :)

Mark Grima
14th August 2012, 07:44 PM
I'm sure location has nothing to do with their decision to send an investigator.

Cheers

M

Mick F
14th August 2012, 09:26 PM
If there's no benefit to air safety from any investigation, it's a waste of time.

I'm sure with a report from the pilot and a maintenance report, it can be determined very easily what happened. The ATSB has much more important things they can be investigating.

Mick

Matt_L
14th August 2012, 09:59 PM
just so you guys know,

that was a tongue in cheek comment:D