PDA

View Full Version : Stop bars at YSSY

Nigel C
20th August 2012, 03:54 PM
The early hours of Sunday morning saw the stop bars formally commissioned at Sydney Airport. It's been a long process to get them installed and fully operational, with the vast majority of the work being done through the curfew period.

The stop bars will run in conjunction with the existing runway guard light system. They are operational on all runways at Sydney Airport, and will operate continuously on all taxiway/runway intersections as well as on Rwy 07/25 at the intersection with Rwy 16R/34L. I suspect they may become a common feature of board members photographs ;)

Cheers

Adrian B
21st August 2012, 09:15 AM
For the idiot type like me that had no idea what you were refering to, there is a good document by ASA Here (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/wp-content/uploads/runway_stopbars_presentation.pdf)

Steve S... 2
21st August 2012, 10:15 AM
I thought it meant no bars in the terminals to sell alcohol :o

It would not surprise me.

Nigel C
21st August 2012, 01:23 PM
Sorry guys, yes I should have explained them a little better. Thanks Adrian for the link.

Basically they will provide a 'ring of red' light around the runways to help prevent runway incursions. The lights for each holding point are controlled by ATC and in conjunction with a verbal clearance will need to be extinguished before an aircraft/vehicle can enter or cross the runway.
From Shep's Mound I imagine the stop bar lights at Bravo-8 should be visible, especially at night.

The bars will continue to sell alcohol :)

Adrian B
22nd August 2012, 09:58 AM
The bars will continue to sell alcohol :)

The stop bars will sell alcohol?? kewl

Can we get one closer than Bravo 8