PDA

View Full Version : Airport car park prices go sky high

David N
25th August 2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.smh.com.au

SOME frequent travellers say they are suffering bill shock after parking fees at Sydney Airport rose by as much as 100 per cent to cost more than a plane ticket.

The change from hourly charging to calendar-charging means travellers who park in the short-term domestic terminal in the evening and collect their vehicles the following morning have to pay twice as much they did last week.

''On Tuesday night I parked at 8.50pm and collected my car the next morning at 7.30am, so roughly 11 hours, and I was charged $112 to park my car. Last week the same trip cost $56 - a 100 per cent increase,'' Nick Michaels said.

Mr Michaels, who works in Sydney and travels at least once a week to Melbourne to see his family, said the increase was excessive and would add $3000 to his annual parking costs, forcing him to spend less time with them.

''On Wednesday, I saw the guy in the car in front of me put his card into the machine and scream into the intercom,'' Mr Michaels said.

A Sydney Airport spokeswoman said new ''state-of-the-art parking equipment'' allowed for online rates that would offer discounts of up to 73 per cent for pre-bookings.

The spokeswoman said only 17 per cent of short-stay parking users left their vehicles for more than three hours, and would still be able to book two calendar-day slots on the web for $85.

"Customers can book anytime up to six hours in advance of their estimated arrival time and have a generous grace period either side of that time to enter the car park. This provides them with flexibility they need to manage their flight times," she said.

But Mr Michaels said the airport's new pricing structures were inconvenient for frequent travellers like him who often travel for only a few hours at short notice.

An Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) annual report for 2010-11 found Sydney Airport had the most expensive rates for short-term car parking per hour as at June 30, 2011.

The report also found that for the 2010-11 financial year, Melbourne's Tullamarine airport earned $114.6 million from customers, while Sydney Airport recorded the highest revenue at Australian airports - $7983 - per car park space.

Hugh Jarse
25th August 2012, 07:03 PM
Well, that explains why Macquarie Airports kicked all the staff out of the short-term car park, David.

They are a bunch of greedy pigs. So they're now gouging the innocent public.

Wouldn't it be great if the general public boycotted this latest greedy grab?

Steve S... 2
26th August 2012, 12:23 PM
And the solution... who can put a stop to it?

We can, the public. By not using the carpark! Those who suffer the high prices are actually supporting it!

Can we live without it? Very inconvenient - but yes.

I no longer park there.

Grahame Hutchison
26th August 2012, 01:48 PM
It just makes a taxi fare more attractive, and a great way to put pressure back on the car park operators quite quickly.

The maths ..

More Taxis = Less Carpark revenue (money talks)

Maikha Ly
27th August 2012, 09:29 AM
Back in Sydney as most of my travel interstate was generally over the weekend, I always parked at Wolli Creek and caught the train in. Although I was horrified at paying $15 to travel two stations, certainly beats paying the exorbitant parking costs at the airport!

Matthew Chisholm
27th August 2012, 03:20 PM
Where do you park at Wolli Creek ?

Danfeng Qian
28th August 2012, 03:27 PM
Park at Rockdale and catch Bus 400.

Maikha Ly
28th August 2012, 06:51 PM
Where do you park at Wolli Creek ?Guess Avenue and Bonar Street, have the unrestricted parking over the weekend, or at least last time I parked there to go interstate for the weekend. It's then a short walk to the station.

Michael Cleary
31st August 2012, 08:55 PM
A little off topic, but Sydney is at least cheaper for trolleys Inbound!!!

I have just come back from Italy - Milan Malpensa wants EUR2 I think to grab a trolley while waiting for the baggage to come out. I didnt have any Euro coins and there was no change machine in sight, so I didnt bother.

Then again, in the spirit of Italy, strikes are common, on arrival day the Airport trains were on strike, so they put us on a coach to the CBD - for free!!

Ash W
1st September 2012, 08:01 AM
They may be cheaper in the international terminal (read free) but in domestic I thought they were $4 each.

Nigel C
2nd September 2012, 02:28 PM
From www.dailytelegraph.com.au

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-airport-parking-deals-take-off/story-e6freuy9-1226462972514

SYDNEY Airport is trying to win back air travellers with cut-price parking, free coffees and newspapers.

Airport chief executive Kerrie Mather said the pitch was part of an attempt to "rebrand" itself with travellers after years of criticism for being driven by profit rather than service.

Ms Mather said the new prices were also a response to a rise in the number of travellers using budget airlines. She said business flyers were now more budget-conscious and were looking for cheaper parking.

Visitors dropping or collecting passengers at the international terminal will pay a flat $20 for three hours' parking, which for the next three months includes two coffees, a copy of The Sunday or Daily Telegraph, and a $10 voucher to spend in duty free.

In carparks at both the domestic and international terminals, rates will be: 15 minutes free, $7 for 30 minutes and a flat $16 for up to an hour. But up to three hours' parking will fall from $29 to $20.

The airport is also offering internet carpark booking; for example a long weekend rate of $69 and $95 for up to 15 days. Ms Mather said booking these deals online at least six hours before arrival would save up to 73 per cent on the usual drive-up rates for long-term parking.

"Our online parking offers ... give customers the convenience of driving their own car and represent great value compared to other options for travelling to and from the airport," Ms Mather said.

Sydney Airport has spent $1.2 million upgrading its long-term carpark, which now has 1000 more spaces, and waiting areas equipped with video screens which allow passengers to monitor the progress of shuttle buses from the carpark to the airport.

The international airport has added 2300 new spaces.

"These are not superficial gestures, they are the result of us doing a lot of listening to our customers," she said.

"We know we have been criticised and we wanted to do something about it."

While parking has always been popular with the business market, many people said they were worried about racing back to their cars after dropping off or collecting friends or family, she said.

Ms Mather emphasised that Sydney Airport was no longer completely owned and controlled by Macquarie Bank.

She said the airport was also working to increase the number and type of dining outlets and encourage shoppers to go to the duty-free shops.

"Last year, we had more than 35.6 million passengers through the airport," she said. "We've been doing a lot of work to increase choice and value in our parking offers and food outlets so we can better cater to all our customers, and the feedback has been highly encouraging."

Ms Mather said they had listened to complaints about parking, traditionally more suited to business travellers.

Sarah C
3rd September 2012, 08:13 AM
At the end of the day, they are superficial measures........drop the prices, you get more people using the car parks and ultimately more revenue. It isn't rocket science.....

Nigel C
3rd September 2012, 03:19 PM
I haven't seen an expiry date on this offer anywhere, so how can you say it's superficial? And your argument of dropping prices to increase demand (and hopefully increase revenue) is just simple economics that thousands of other businesses use every day.

Jason H
3rd September 2012, 07:01 PM
Heard an ad this morning advertising parking at the airport for up to a month for 'only $199'. Wow, I can't believe people pay that...just park at your nearest station and get the train, or get a taxi, I really don't understand it

Nigel C
3rd September 2012, 07:35 PM
I'd imagine there'd be a few thieves noticing a car parked in one spot for a month at some railway stations....

Ryan N
3rd September 2012, 07:50 PM
Or a few parking fines.

Jason H
4th September 2012, 09:18 PM
My taxi ride option still stands. It is such a waste of money to park a car at the airport; get a lift from a neighbour or something.

Rod Sloan
5th September 2012, 05:59 AM
Drove car into the multi story on Aug 16th. Went to NZ. Drove out Sept 4th. $199. Bargain IMO. :)