PDA

View Full Version : LiveATC YPPH feed

Carsten Bauer
28th August 2012, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

I regret to inform that the ypph liveatc will go down between 01-22SEP.

It will however go back up, I promise.

Carsten

Carsten Bauer
20th August 2013, 01:45 AM
Hi all,

Just to let you know the computer that the LiveATC YPPH feed runs on is having some hardware issues. I regret to inform that the stream will go down shortly until I can find a replacement PC. Apologises in advance.

Carsten

Carsten Bauer
28th August 2013, 01:49 PM
liveatc YPPH stream is now back up and running, and should be ok for a while. Any problems let me know.

SteveR
29th August 2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks for providing the service Carsten, i've listened to that feed quite a few times to fill in time waiting for my flight back to sydney :-)

Carsten Bauer
29th August 2013, 10:50 AM
Good Morning all,

I applied a firmware update to the Raspberry Pi (Micro Computer) that runs the stream, so the audio popping should be gone now, and volume is a bit louder.

For those of you interested in the details behind the feed, until a few days ago, it was running on a Dell Optiplex GX520 desktop computer, which is a massive power drain to have running 24/7 for the past 2-3 years.

Thanks to a helpful and generous fan, who sent me a Raspberry Pi with a few cables etc, I have managed to get it up and running.
The Raspberry Pi microcomputer board costs about $35USD and runs a version of Debian Linux, called Raspian.
The only other purchase was a USB Sound card, because the Raspi only has a 3.5mm audio out. It has a Creative Sound Blaster Play, and was very simple to setup.
The whole setup now runs on just a Micro USB mobile phone charger, the powerpack for the Uniden Scanner, and the powered speakers (Which are only used for troubleshooting).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Photo of the YPPH LiveATC Feed setup
https://www.dropbox.com/s/np4f0qmdk2jzlv4/2013-08-29%2008.33.04.jpg

Thank you for your patience while the stream was down, I'm hoping that this setup will run for many years to come, but if it does go down, the costs involved in replacing it are extremely low compared to the previous setup.

I'm toying with the idea of setting up several of these, so that we can have separate Tower/Ground/Approach/MelCtr feeds, but this will have to wait a few weeks.

Regards,

Carsten