PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Airways returns to Adelaide

Maikha Ly
4th September 2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/cheap-melbourne-flights-back-on-from-november-as-tiger-airways-returns-to-adelaide/story-e6frea83-1226464237723

Cheap Melbourne flights back on from November as Tiger Airways returns to Adelaide

LOW-COST carrier Tiger Airways will resume flights between Adelaide and Melbourne from November 1.

The Advertiser can reveal the airline today will post a variety of fares, including 5000 one-way seats for travel between November 1 and mid-2013 for $19.95. It will initially offer two flights each way per day.

Tiger Airways Australia chief executive Andrew David told The Advertiser yesterday that extra flights between Adelaide and Melbourne, as well as other routes from Adelaide, could be added later.

This comes after Tiger last month struck a deal with the State Government to keep more than $1 million in taxpayer funding.

It means Tiger will have to pay back only $1.4 million of the $2.25 million it was offered in 2009 to base itself in Adelaide.

The Government had been pursuing the full amount after Tiger failed to resume flights to Adelaide following its grounding by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority in July last year.

Mr David said he was "absolutely convinced" SA travellers would put the controversy behind them. He said the resumption of Adelaide flights had been made possible by Tiger acquiring a 10th Airbus A320.

That means an extra 2520 seats a week into Adelaide.

"An 11th aircraft is on the way but we are being cautious with expansion," Mr David said.

"People understand we are a low-cost service, with low fares," he said.

"But people don't tolerate poor service."

He said the Adelaide-Melbourne route had done well for the airline before and he looked forward to good support again from November 1.

Tiger's return to Adelaide will create 20 jobs here for its airport ground-handling contractor.

Independent senator Nick Xenophon yesterday welcomed Tiger's announcement, which he said would be a "great boost" for South Australia's tourism sector.

"As someone who has been pushing for their return, I welcome it," he said. "I'll certainly be using them as often as I can."

He urged the State Government also to show its support by booking travel on Tiger.

In June, Jetstar said it would increase seats through Adelaide, on the Sydney, Gold Coast and Cairns routes, by 13 per cent.

Tiger began Adelaide flights from Melbourne in 2008 and opened its second base, in Adelaide, in 2009.

Steve S... 2
4th September 2012, 11:11 AM
Hi,

I believe that Tiger's 11th A320 VH-VNQ, is already in service in Australia.

Yeah it is a matter of trusting that airline, which is something that I don't think I have, personally.

Jarden S
4th September 2012, 09:14 PM
I expect them to return to CBR as well.