PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar 788 Rego blocks

Jim M
13th September 2012, 08:54 PM
I don't know if this has been covered anywhere, but with the apparent arrival of the first of Jetstar's 788s during 2013, does anyone know if a block of regos have been allocated to these aircraft, and if so,what they might be?

Just curious.

Cheers,

Jim

Bob C
13th September 2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Jim

Can't help I'm afraid but at least fifteen regos from the -XZ block were originally allocated years ago.

However, the ongoing delays with the B787s have seen the -XZ block reallocated to B737s.

Cheers

Bob

Nigel C
13th September 2012, 09:50 PM
Is there any reason they don't re-use 'old' blocks? Ones like EA* and TJ* etc, and when aircraft retire why not re-use ones like OG* etc? Even when Ansett collapsed and aircraft got sold off, there would have been whole CZ*, RM* and HY* regos available to be reserved surely?

Ash W
14th September 2012, 07:26 AM
A lot of them have been reused now by other aircraft. Though it would make sense if an airline could reserve rego's of retired a/c.

Jim M
14th September 2012, 10:19 AM
Hi Jim

Can't help I'm afraid but at least fifteen regos from the -XZ block were originally allocated years ago.

Thanks Bob,now that you have said that,I do remember reading that somewhere some years back.

Will be interesting to see what happens and maybe one of the old blocks from retired aircraft will be used.

Cheers
Jim

Steve S... 2
14th September 2012, 10:39 AM
They wasted the VH-XZ* block.

The last 11 x new QF 738's could have taken up rego's in the blocks "VH-VXV to VH-VXZ" & "VH-VYL to VH-VYZ".

Instead it is now rather confusing.

Nigel C
14th September 2012, 10:50 AM
A lot of them have been reused now by other aircraft. Though it would make sense if an airline could reserve rego's of retired a/c.

That's kind of what I was getting at. The airlines know they'll be getting new aircraft and new aircraft types and they seem to prefer having them all in the one rego block, so it seems silly that they'd let regos go to the unwashed masses just because they've retired that particular aircraft.

Bernie P
14th September 2012, 10:54 AM
The only 'problem' (not that it should be with a good fleet planner looking after such things) but would a block of rego's, make it easier to identify particular models doing specific routes etc, rather than having individual models mixed up somewhere etc? i.e. Say a block of B738 regos, and one gets retired but a B788 takes that rego, may make it difficult for a fleet planner to simply get an aircraft wrong based on its rego...

If you know what I mean...

Brenden S
14th September 2012, 06:13 PM
Both Qantas and Virgin have different registrations for their 737 fleet for a variety of reasons. Being Intl/over water configured, engine thrust rating, different flaps like on the VZ series etc. That is why the different rego blocks are used. The other limiting factor is that CASA will not reserve a rego unless you have an aircraft already purchased and has a c/n. It is on the CASA website, or at least used to be.

Bob C
14th September 2012, 08:25 PM
Having different regos doesn't matter to Virgin as the latest -FE models are spread all over the place.

And I think the list of available regos is running out so airlines need to grab what they can.

Perhaps the time has come to rethink the whole registration process as has been discussed here and elsewhere previously.

Rowan McKeever
14th September 2012, 09:40 PM
It's been mentioned recently that Virgin equips the YI, YF & YV aircraft for different missions... from memory the YI are overwater equipped for the intl sectors, YV are equipped for transcon & YF are effectively the shorter domestic runners. Not to rule out appearances by the YI on domestic or YV on shorter runs of course because we know both of those things happen. Correct me if my memory's off though pls.

Rob C
18th September 2012, 11:50 PM
YV & YF are in the same class, YFF operated 688 today at least.

The wet lease flights (DJ4*** flights) can only be operated by the YI series aircraft and all the international configured aircraft.

JamesL
19th September 2012, 09:45 AM
Don't forget VUY/Z ;)

JamesW
19th September 2012, 01:50 PM
By memory YV* have 26K engines, with YF* having the 24K. Same engine, however they are derated by computers in the factory. They both can be further derated through the appropriate pages in the CDU which interacts with the FMC.