PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - GOOD FRIDAY Qantas Charity Flight - 21st March (Australia ZOO)

Lukas M
23rd March 2008, 07:39 PM
My Good Friday Qantas Charity Flight Report, to the Australia Zoo!!!

March 21st 2008
Airline: Qantas
Route: MEL-BNE
Aircraft: 767-300
Rego: VH-OGJ
Flight #: QF6624
Seat: 25A

Arrived at Tullamarine at around 6am, and check in for this flight was at Gate 24(hand luggage only of course), and the lines for all other airlines(JQ,QF) were not attractive, as this is one of the busiest days of the year!, JQ lines were the worst I have ever seen in my whole life, which was expected. Went up to G24 to be greeted by Australia Zoo Staff, there was a Lion and a Lizard, dressed up of course, for the kiddies. Checked in nice and early, was among the first few, so was seated at the front fo the aircraft, which turned out to be better. While I waited to board, the queues for the Runway were nice and long, there was also a few JQ planes boarding via the tarmac, as the terminals were jam-packed and our "Charity Flight" had stolen a gate for the morning anyway. A reporter (Mellissa someone) and the camerman(Channel 7), and someone from 3AW arrived with his fellow collegue, who did a few live crosses with the Captain, and the Crew of what was going to happen today. When boarding time began (7.40) a huge queue wrapped around the terminal! Once walking on board, we were greeted by our fellow "Volunteered Flight Crew", and as we got to our seats, we all saw each seat had a Qantas Backpack. This contained the days Itinery, Snack, Water Bottle, Qantas Poster, Kids Activity Pack, Pens, Certificate and a "Good Friday Qantas" Hat, so mainly a nice goody bag. Then we pushed back 3mins earlier and our Journey began!

We taxied to the Runway, usual Safety Demonstration(with a few jokes here and there), and everyone was exited and reved up for a fun day ahead. The flight crew were just having a good time, and were just as exited to go to the Zoo as us! We had 3 captains today, and 10 cabin crew, all nicely volunteered their time for the chairty flight. We had a smooth takeoff, and began our journey to BNE. Once the "Seatbelt" sign was turned off, we were spoken to by our cabin service manager (did an excellent job of organising the day!), Australia Zoo staff, and the people from 3AW. They then put on a video about Australia Zoo, to show us a bit of background knowledge of what to do and see there. The Channel 7 crew then came through and did a recording of the flight(I missed out by 3 rows of being shown!), it was shown mid-afternoon, and that included some fellow passengers and pilot number 3(each leg had a spare pilot to mingle with the passengers, as there were 3 pilots). The spare pilot helped to the catering for the Breakfast leg also. We were served our breakfast, which I didn't even want to tempt and open, and a nice hot cross bun, for the easter spirit. We were all given a silent auction sheet during flight. The Auction consisted of An Elephant Feed, Rescue Centre tour, and a Reptile Session, all money cant buy experiences, so I put a bid of $150 on the rescue centre. Dont forget, every last cent on this day is going towards the Royal Childrens Hospital. All landing, takeoff charges were waived, fuel donated, aircraft donated, crew donated their time, buses gave up their time, Zoo donated entries, so everything that will somehow cost money was given up, and all proceeds were going towards the kids, which is just fantastic. There was a raffle that was coming through the cabin, and in just 15 rows, all 3 raffle books were sold out. People were so nice and generous, giving $50 here, $200 here, and so there was no raffle tickets left of course, all gone!!!. So what they did was tear the end of the boarding pass off, and we wrote our names on, so they would call out our name if we won, and the seat of course! The cabin was full of laughter and joy, as we also began our decent into Brisbane.

After a nice and smooth touchdown, we taxied to the available aerobridge, as had to disembark fast, as this plane was now off to Sydney. We then assembled to the Buses located outside the terminal. BNE was just as worse as MEL with people everywhere, not knowing where to go, and QF queues were just enormous. As all crew jumped onboard the bus, and the passengers, we were off to the zoo. We had a nice and fun journey, with songs being sung, and everyone looking at the nice queensland scenery. The winners of the Silent Auction was drawn, and I didn't win, but people paid huge amounts, up to $500 for some things, even more for others, which is just great, as its all going towards a great cause. Then arrived at the Zoo, as everyone left to go and have free time for the day. The crew then presented the check, with the Channel 7 crew for $102,964, which was raised from all of Todays Activities and the Mystery Flights. Went to the crocoseam and was very lucky to see Terri Irwin, as it is quite rare for her to do Croc demonstrations in the Crocoseam. The whole Zoo is just huge, and its a pity we only had around 4 hours here, not even that. The turtles are really huge, and the birds were also very friendly. Unfortuantly it was time to leave before you know it.

We boarded on same bus, and after catching a few missing passengers, we were off back to BNE. Everyone was so tired on the way back, not a word was spoken, bit different from the way up. Everyone had a great day, and it was so sad that we had to leave, we all just wanted to stay. Queenland has such nice scenery, especially up near Australia Zoo. We arrived at the terminal, same gate, but different aircraft which was good for a change. The 767 was much older on the way up compared to this 767. The cabin service manager said we were very lucky that Qantas could spare a 767 on such a busy day, as it has alway been 737's in the previous year. A 767 is better because more seats, so more money raised for the kids. We were all told on the bus that we would have a film (Ratatollie for the kids), and a free unlimited bar service. Basically they wanted us to kick back and relax. We boardes about 45mins earlier, as our gate was soon to be occupied earlier than expected, so were were all rushed on, told to sit down fast, so we could just get out of the gate.

March 21st 2008
Airline: Qantas
Route: BNE-MEL (departed at 5.15 instead of 6pm)
Aircraft: 767-300
Rego: VH-OGF
Flight #: QF6625
Seat: 30K

My seat was great, because I didn't have anybody behind me, just a wall. It was a blue seat on the way back, and a purple seat on the way up. I found the seat more comfy on the return leg. We departed quickly and were airborne within no time. The final raffle tickets were coming through the cabin as well to be sold. There was also a beautiful sunset occuring, basically one of the best I have ever seen in my life. The other captain this time was serving dinner which was funny and it was a really good fun environment. The movie was thrown on at Tea-Time, so all the kiddies were settled down. We had a Chiken and Vegetable Korma on the way back, served with whatever drink you wanted, and unlimited amounts, which was all donated of course. The raffle was drawn, over 60 prizes, and raised about $4000, yes $4000. I won an "Age Careers Expo" Ticket, which was good because I was going anyway. Other prizes were CD's, CD players, movie tickets, and heaps and heaps of wine bottles. There was also prizes (wine) for whoever could do the best "Crikey", which was funny. The cabin crew were doing such a great job, and everyone was having heaps of fun. It was quite sad when we began our decent, because our fun day was nearly over.

Next year it could be mabye a Theme park we were told, or Ayers Rock etc, and everyone was saying that they cant wait until then!!!. We began our decent, and landed with a slight bump here and there, landing on R34, about 50mins earlier.The sunset that was occuring outside was just fantastic, and everyone was amazed. We all cheered for the Cabin Crew for such a great day and all the organisers did a excellent job. The day was really well organised, and was put together really well. One of the best flights of my life, and it was for such a great cause!!!!!!

- Excuse my spelling mistakes
- I have heaps of photos, but dont know how to get them on here, They are too big i think, In size mabye?

-Please Comment and ask heaps of Questions!!

Raymond Rowe
23rd March 2008, 07:55 PM
Nice to hear you had a great day and yes Qantas do a great job for the kids. A lot more than one other carrier does.

Lukas M
23rd March 2008, 08:01 PM
Nice to hear you had a great day and yes Qantas do a great job for the kids. A lot more than one other carrier does.
Qantas have really nice dedicated staff, who all did a fantastic job, The best Cabin crew team I have ever seen

Mark Grima
23rd March 2008, 09:13 PM
Hey thanks for the report, great to hear that some good $$$ were raised. Do they auction off the seats as well or are they just for sale over the net?

Cheers

M

Lukas M
24th March 2008, 07:44 AM
Every seat sells at $299, i was just browsing the Qantas Website (News Section), and i saw a media release about it, but there is a different number you have to dial, you cant purchase the seats over the net though, but you have to be FAST, because this year, every 203rd passenger said that they will do next years trip, so if they can only get a 737 next year (probaly a 767 though) you need to be fast

They usually announce the seats, about 4-5 weeks before good friday, but you have to do it, it is one of the best days ever!

Here is a Media Release:
http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/mar/22/dream-come-true

PHOTOS OF THIS TRIP LOCATED AT:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer18/

DJones
24th March 2008, 09:43 AM
Nice report and enjoyed the pics :)

Mark Grima
24th March 2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks Lukas, might have to keep my eyes open for it next year.

Cheers

M

Radi K
24th March 2008, 10:35 PM

How dare you bag Tiger like that :p

:rolleyes:

Nigel C
25th March 2008, 12:06 AM
Radi, please don't get him started.http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x82/Kiska2/eusa_hand.gif

Craig Murray
25th March 2008, 07:27 AM
A lot more than one other carrier does.

Can't agree with you on this one mate. I've been on a similar flight run by Virgin Blue to raise money for the Premature Babies Unit at the Royal Brisbane and Womens Hospital here in Brisbane. They also ran a flight last year to raise money to purchase a special swing for Variety that will allow children in wheelchairs to use some play equipment.

I think these sorts of events are above petty quibbles over Full Service vs Low Cost airlines.

Well done Qantas for running yet another successful bunch of Easter Charity Flights.

This years Virgin Blue Hangar Ball will be raising funds as follows:

Brett Godfrey said....

“Funds raised from our Hangar Ball go to many worthwhile causes and in 2008 our support is pledged to projects nominated by our team members under the theme of ‘Indigenous Peoples, Natural Environment’”

Not sure ‘Indigenous Peoples, Natural Environment’ offers enough transparency for my own liking. But that's just me!

Grant Smith
25th March 2008, 08:01 AM
And from our friends across the dutch...

The Make-A-Wish Foundation of New Zealand strives to grant the one cherished wish of each child between the ages of 3 and 18 years who has a life-threatening illness. Having a wish come true is magic for a child, especially a child who is ill. For the family, it is a time to create special memories to cherish forever. Air New Zealand is a proud supporter of Make-A-Wish trough the provision of domestic and international travel where it is needed to make wishes come true

Sarah C
28th March 2008, 03:24 PM
QF raised $108,000 from the flights for the Good Friday Appeal - I am sure they will do it against next year

Lukas M
28th March 2008, 03:45 PM
QF raised $108,000 from the flights for the Good Friday Appeal - I am sure they will do it against next year

Dont you worry, they will be back next year,one of the organziers were commenting on next year's day trip as mabye:
-Sea World
-Dreamworld
-Movieworld:)
-Ayres Rock
-Longreach Aviation Museam

It all depends on who will donate the entry fees etc, its a BIG project to organize!:)

Joseph Saragozza.
11th April 2009, 03:49 PM
great TR and pictures lukas.

fingers crossed next year i could hitch a ride on one of the charity flights.

well done mate.;)