PDA

View Full Version : Coverage Map

Greg W
4th November 2012, 10:18 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I would find the Australian coverage map for Flight Radar 24 / Planefinder?

Many thanks

Greg

Philip Argy
5th November 2012, 06:35 AM
I think it's determined ad hoc Greg by whatever ADS-B information is available from time to time. Private ADS-B receivers share their information as they come on stream.

For more info see the 'Coverage' section at the foot of this page:
http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

Noel White
5th November 2012, 08:49 AM
Greg, if you open a map of the whole of Australia, you will be able to see the areas covered by ADS-B private feeders. Currently the area from Cairns all the way around to Adelaide is displayed plus Perth, Darwin, Alice Springs and some regional areas.

Bear in mind that the ADS-B signal is transmitted at 1090 MHz and is "line of sight", the average maximum range is about 200 nm depending on the feeder's antenna setup. The signal can also be blocked by terrain or buildings near the feeder's location. Sometimes areas drop out if the feeder is of line for a period.

Things are on the improve as more feeders are coming on line and more a/c are being fitted with ADS-B equipment.

Hope this helps to explain the situation.

Greg W
5th November 2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks Philip & Noel for your replies. I presently upload to planefinder and was interested in doing the same with FR24, would be real interesting to see where the other feeder stations are around me.

Cheers

Greg

Grahame Hutchison
5th November 2012, 09:52 PM
Hi Greg,

FlightRadar24 have a great little App to feed their system, which runs smoothly without any prolems at all. Just contact them and they will send you the App.

Greg W
8th November 2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks Grahame