PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Airways Cuts All Services To Newcastle

Ben O
11th June 2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.etravelblackboard.com/showarticle.asp?id=78627&nav=2

Tiger Airways Suspends Services To Newcastle

Tiger Airways has confirmed that it will indefinitely suspend its once daily Melbourne-Newcastle-Melbourne service from 11 August 2008.

Tiger Airways spokesman, Matt Hobbs, said "Tiger has had to reallocate its resources to meet the demand in its next stage of growth. This has resulted in some unforeseen changes to the schedule, including the suspension of services to Newcastle from 11 August 2008.

“Passengers who are affected by the suspension can opt for a destination or date change without additional charges, or receive a full refund."

Newcastle Airport Manager Corporate Affairs, David Nye, added “Whilst we are of course disappointed by any airline discontinuing a service from Newcastle, we understand the competitiveness of the aviation industry at the moment.

“The suspension of Tiger Airways services is only a minor set-back for the Airport. Jetstar recently increased its services into the Airport by 50%, including increasing their Melbourne flights to three times daily, and we are in discussions with all airlines for increased services and new destinations.

“Newcastle Airport will continue to work with Tiger Airways and push new route opportunities in the future.”

Affected passengers are advised to contact Tiger Airways either through their website or via the call centre.

This comes only 2 weeks after Jetstar double services to NTL.

Looks like a win for JQ.

Lukas M
11th June 2008, 01:21 PM
The new ADL/CBR additions start on 11th August, so I guess that fills that gap then

Sarah C
11th June 2008, 01:32 PM
Can't say I am surprised but Tiger yesterday sent a press release basically having a go at QF and DJ for cutting routes - this is the link:

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/showarticle.asp?id=78627&nav=2

Quote: "Whilst other airlines are busy increasing fuel surcharges, cutting routes and scrambling to reduce wasteful expenditure, Tiger is busy, simply providing the lowest fares and best value for money across Australia."

And they announce cutting thier services today to NTL.......:confused: Oh well, JQ would be happy today

Greg F
11th June 2008, 01:55 PM
Comes as no surprise to me either.

They have tried to put this big tough front, that everyone is cutting and cutting and we aren't going too...

then... Reality kicked in! :D

I cant see how they are making money, other than feeding off Mummy (SIA):confused::confused::confused:

Montague S
11th June 2008, 02:37 PM
I cant see how they are making money, other than feeding off Mummy (SIA):confused::confused::confused:

little bit like QF leaching off big daddy in Canberra when it comes to protection on the transpacific route.

Marty H
11th June 2008, 03:15 PM
little bit like QF leaching off big daddy in Canberra when it comes to protection on the transpacific route.

Exactly QF are the federal governments protected cow, if the Federal government was fair dinkum they would make the Pacific route open skies for all airlines, but they know its QF's most profitable route and their product when it compares to the likes a SQ and EK is very second rate and would get eaten alive.

Andrew P
11th June 2008, 03:29 PM
SQ and EK is very second rate and would get eaten alive.

why then hasn't QF been eaten alive on the AUS-SIN routes?

Banjo

Andrew M
11th June 2008, 04:11 PM
why then hasn't QF been eaten alive on the AUS-SIN routes?

Banjo

People like to support QF for whatever reason! More expensive than most but a well known Aussie brand. Much like the question why is Telstra the most popular in broadband, when their pricing is much more expensive than most others!

When booking flights for my Mum she is always saying "book Qantas, book Qantas"

I usually put her on NZ instead :p

Justin L
11th June 2008, 04:41 PM
Just changed my September NTL-MEL-NTL flights to CBR-MEL-CBR flights. Got straight through to the call centre and made changes with no fuss.

Stephen Brown
11th June 2008, 04:59 PM
JQ have added 19 more flights each week into Newcastle, and DJ have increased their frequency to Mel from two to three daily.

Tiger just couldn't compete with the once a day service

Lukas M
11th June 2008, 05:27 PM
Pretty pathetic attempt of Tiger here!

Justin, could you change the days, and pick any destination you wanted to??

Justin L
11th June 2008, 06:23 PM
Justin, could you change the days, and pick any destination you wanted to??

I kept the same days, but they did ask me what dates and destinations I wanted before making the changes.

Stephen Brown
11th June 2008, 06:51 PM
Pretty pathetic!

So is it Tiger that is pathetic, or myself Lukas?

Lukas M
11th June 2008, 07:07 PM
JQ have added 19 more flights each week into Newcastle, and DJ have increased their frequency to Mel from two to three daily.

So is it Tiger that is pathetic, or myself Lukas?
No, the fact that JQ opertates 3 services a day, TT only operates 1, TT are cheaper and still cant survive in NTL!

JQ have come to the rescue by offering those (mainly NTL pax), a $50 voucher!

Book return Melbourne / Newcastle and get a $50 Jetstar Voucher!

Book return fares between Melbourne and Newcastle (before midnight 15 June 2008) for travel between 11 August and 31 October 2008 and we'll email you a $50 Jetstar flight voucher (within 28 days) to the email address in your booking.
Important information
All bookings must be made at Jetstar.com. The outbound and return flights must be for travel between Melbourne and Newcastle between 11 August and 31 October 2008.

Adam P.
11th June 2008, 08:14 PM
TT are cheaper and still cant survive in NTL!

There's more to a successful airline than just being cheap.

Something called 'frequency' plays a big part in any schedule.

Marty H
11th June 2008, 09:07 PM
DJ flys to NTL daily and the flight is full both ways.

I was only talking with a freind of mine on Monday and they said they flew Tiger the NTL for the w/end got there okay but turned up at NTL airport for their flight back to MEL only to be told and it had been cancelled, they asked when the next flight was and were told tomorrow, they had to get back for work so they drove down the SYD and caught a DJ flight back to MEL.

Justin L
11th June 2008, 10:21 PM
Tiger's original launch schedules for NTL-MEL were double daily, then reduced to single daily after a few months. My August booking was affected by this at the time. Now cancelled altogether. JQ are point to point, but maybe DJ's connections in MEL to Tassie, ADL, etc. are an advantage to them out of NTL in addition to MEL end traffic?

Ahmet H
12th June 2008, 08:22 AM
I think Tiger's problem was the time they come in and out of NTL at around 3pm. People would have to work a half day or take the day off in order to catch the flight out of NTL.

Jetstar's service out of NTL is at a much better time for working people. They can leave work at 5pm and get to the airport in time for their flights with Jetstar.

I know people who would go to Melbourne for the weekend but wouldn't fly Tiger because it meant they had to take more time off work than they would with Jetstar.

I also wouldn't fly Tiger anymore because when you arrived at your destination, you had to wait 30 mins before they got your bags out for you and especially in Melbourne standing around caged in like animals with no chairs or the comforts of a proper airport terminal put me off from flying them again. Jetstar are a lot more efficient.

Lukas M
12th June 2008, 01:18 PM
Mabye Sydney as the next Hub???, negotiations should be smooth and easy with Shelly on board:D

Marty H
12th June 2008, 01:28 PM
Mabye Sydney as the next Hub???, negotiations should be smooth and easy with Shelly on board:D

They cant get terminal space in SYD so what makes you think that will be the next hub?

Greg F
12th June 2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe TT could buy something like this?

http://www.sheds.com.au/process/views/catalogueItemB.html?itemId=8961&categoryId=1281

:D

Clarke P
12th June 2008, 05:56 PM
For Tiger, I think this would be more suited.

http://www.pepperspollywogs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/WindowsLiveWriter/ACubbyHouseParty_9E72/paint3_41%5B1%5D%5B4%5D.jpg

Malcolm Parker
12th June 2008, 08:04 PM
I hear the supply of QF link pilots will be abated soon in August with their new pilots, do you think QF link will resume NTL-MEL flights or leave it to JQ.

Lukas M
13th June 2008, 08:31 AM
Mabye a Cairns base on the Cards??

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23856842-5014090,00.html

Michael Morrison
13th June 2008, 08:36 AM
I do you think QF link will resume NTL-MEL flights or leave it to JQ.

thats is a good one - QF returning a route to Jetstar? I wouldn't bet on it.

Who knows - this article seems to think they are struggling domestically after dropping NTL and stopping Rockhampton and Darin sales from MEL...

They are looking at going international - only routes they have the rights to fly currently are NZ due to foreign ownership rules - I cant see them getting access to fly other routes.

http://business.smh.com.au/tiger-tries-to-flex-its-wings-20080612-2pnt.html

Steve S... 2
13th June 2008, 09:15 AM
Alot of Australian's have alot of pride in Qantas. They don't see others such as Emirates may be alot better. It is just like the Holden Commodore. If Australian's swallow their pride they may find it is garbage and a better product exists elsewhere... and it is slowly happening.

Shoot me down people, I don't care.

Montague S
13th June 2008, 10:40 AM
Alot of Australian's have alot of pride in Qantas. They don't see others such as Emirates may be alot better. It is just like the Holden Commodore. If Australian's swallow their pride they may find it is garbage and a better product exists elsewhere... and it is slowly happening.

Shoot me down people, I don't care.

and its those that are proud who are the most vocal in their displeasure at what the flying kangaroo has become.

Lukas M
18th June 2008, 09:02 PM
Heaps of 19.95 fares available in the lead up to NTL's withdrawal. Using double the difference here would be quite amazing:)

Lukas M
19th June 2008, 12:24 PM
Also guys, Rocky hasn't been axed, only cut from 4weekly to 3weekly as of 25th October
:)