PDA

View Full Version : USA Travel/flight question

Adam.S
24th November 2012, 12:15 PM
Hope this is the correct forum for this question;

As a first time international traveller, I am planning two upcoming trips to America early next year.
My travel plans will see me in the US for 10 days, then return home to Australia for 3 weeks, then back to America for 2 weeks before returning home again.

Using rough dates for example,
March 1st- fly to the US
March 10th - fly to Australia

March 30th- fly to the US
April 15th - fly to Australia

My question is in relation to booking flights using different carriers.
Could I purchase a return flight with Virgin Australia, booked for March 1st, returning on April 15th on one ticket,
and book a return Qantas ticket for March 10th (to Aus) returning to the US on March 30th?

March 1st- fly to the US (Virgin Aus)
March 10th - fly to Australia (Qantas)

March 30th- fly to the US (Qantas)
April 15th - fly to Australia(Virgin Aus)

Will this scenario cause any problems or confusion for staff when I pass through immigration/customs for my March 10th or 30th flights, as I am exiting the country on a different ticket to what I arrived on?

Cheers

Sarah C
24th November 2012, 02:49 PM
They are really only concerned if you have evidence of a return trip - I can' see it being an issue as you will have two return trips booked.

Maybe ring each airline to see what they say

Lukas M
24th November 2012, 09:04 PM
Have done this. No problems at all. Flying Virgin Australia ex LAX is the same as flying domestically with Virgin America, as in there didn't appear to be any immigration/customs. TSA only cross check boarding pass with Passport/USA License.

Not sure about flying with QF though.

Will T
25th November 2012, 11:25 AM
Yep no problems with your plan, Adam. There are no outbound immigration formalities at LAX, and when you arrive in LAX just have the flight number/date of your departing flight handy, in case you're asked about it (which you almost certainly won't be).

Michael Cleary
25th November 2012, 11:51 AM
Yep, they only want evidence that you will be leaving the country (if indeed they even ask to see it when you arrive). Who you leave with doesn't matter.

Adam.S
25th November 2012, 05:54 PM
Thankyou all very much for your replies.

So in the unlikely event that upon my first arrival into LAX (flying VA), I am asked about my return details, which of my two return tickets should I present as proof;

The Qantas ticket - for departure from LAX on March 10th,
or the VA ticket - for departure from LAX on April 15th?

...I guess it would be best to have both tickets handy, and provide all the details.
ie. I am making two return trips in the space of a month.

Adam G
25th November 2012, 06:12 PM
Present the ticket for your next departure from the US.

It's absolutely not an issue, I've entered the USA and countries throughout Asia, Europe and the Middle East with differing in and outbound carriers and I've never had an issue - they're only concerned you meet the visa conditions (so outbound ticket within the time limit of whatever visa you're traveling on).

Adam.S
26th November 2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks Adam/all, good to know.
I appreciate your help.

As a sidenote, is having your luggage locked shut advised when flying internationally and domestically around the US?
My concern for having a locked luggage is more to having illegal item(s) placed into your bag, rather then having your personal items stolen from your bag.

Some believe its wise to lock or 'wrap' your luggage when travelling to and from Asia, would travel to America pose the same level of luggage tampering?

Andrew P
27th November 2012, 05:16 AM
anyone who says to wrap luggage in Asia, has never travelled seriously, only virgin travellers do it

(a literal use of the word)

Ash W
27th November 2012, 06:19 AM
Adam, it is really no better nor no worse than anywhere in the world, and if you are worried about someone putting something in your bag your best of not going anywhere!

If you are going to use a lock make sure to use one that is TSA approved so American security can open it. If you don't and they need to open your bag then out come the bolt cutters. TSA approved locks can be brought in most places that sell bags and most bags these days also have TSA approved locks.

The problem with TSA locks though is you can safely assume your bag can be opened by anyone airside, which gets back to the point in the first para.

Adam.S
28th November 2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks Ash.
So there isn't much of a legitimate risk of someone tampering/putting something in your unlocked luggage?
The main reason people lock their luggage is to secure their personal items?
Or is it a case of little of both scenarios?

As for the TSA locks thanks, that was the direction I was going to go from the research I have done. Yet the same research has suggested the TSA locks are in some cases a complete waste of time. Stories of passengers who collect their luggage only to find their TSA lock has been cut off with the TSA apology letter in their bag saying something along the lines of "your lock needed to be cut" with no further explanation given.

Apparently some US airport workers have blown the whistle on their co-workers of just being 'lazy' or loosing their master TSA key, so when screening passengers luggage, the security staff simply just cut the locks off to open up and check through the luggage.

I would think this is a very rare occurance - staff cutting locks out of lazyness, however many passengers who have used TSA locks in the past have reported airport security cutting their locks off.

Ash W
28th November 2012, 06:20 AM
Locking and wrapping luggage is, at the end of the day all about making the passenger feel better. I would say the chance of someone putting something in your bag is basically next to zero, although if Corby had an account here she may well disagree.

The chance of someone stealing is real, but ultimately lock or no lock if they are going to steal they will, hence why anything valuable should be carried onboard.

With the TSA locks again they are all about making the passenger feel good. Never heard of them being cut, but don't doubt it either.

Personally I use luggage seals similar to the ones below, because I know you cannot stop someone who really wants to get in, so I really just want to know if someone has been in. The only reason, as mentioned is it makes me feel better.

http://www.luggagelock.com.au/index.php

Adam.S
29th November 2012, 11:08 PM
^
Thanks for that Ash, appreciate it.

Cheers