PDA

View Full Version : Four confirmed dead in Moscow air crash

Bernie P
30th December 2012, 09:25 AM
We've all seen/heard about the TU-204 this morning, and condolences to those (mainly from the Csech Republic) whom have died...

HERE (http://youtu.be/dWONT47LFZM) is some footage from the motorway where it overran onto...

HERE (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9770751/Four-confirmed-dead-in-Moscow-air-crash.html) is the story, UK papers

Sarah C
30th December 2012, 02:58 PM
That footage is chilling- the occupants in the car were very lucky.

Mike W
30th December 2012, 05:05 PM
If that big ditch wasn't beside the motorway....

Philip Argy
31st December 2012, 08:27 AM
Initial reports are suggesting brake problems. Is it possible that the a/c was so underweight (no pax or freight) that the tyres couldn't get the assumed grip in the slippery conditions? Perhaps the unusually low weight led to an incorrect autobrake setting?

Hugh Jarse
31st December 2012, 06:55 PM
Not really, Philip.

The landing autobrake setting is selected based on a combination of weight, elevation, wind, slope, temperature deviation and thrust reverser/s for a given runway length.

For a given autobrake setting, the system will apply a pre-determined brake energy setting to provide a particular deceleration rate.

The antiskid system should always prevent the brakes from locking (regardless of autobrake setting), based on the traction (or lack thereof) of the individual wheels.

The pilots always have the option of using maximum manual braking, which firstly disengages the autobrake, but will apply maximum brake energy (with antiskid).

The question you need to ask is whether the runway was contaminated (snow/slush/ice). This will increase your landing distance significantly.

I bet this was a factor, Philip.

Philip Argy
31st December 2012, 07:02 PM
Maybe a replay of QF1-Bangkok where reverse thrust was overlooked. Or inoperative?

Nigel C
31st December 2012, 10:06 PM
Maybe a case of wait for the investigation and see?

Philip Argy
31st December 2012, 10:14 PM
No point speculating then, Nige! :)

Joseph Saragozza.
1st January 2013, 11:28 AM
If you notice notice carefully in the footage the nose wheel hits the car in front of the car filming and the filming car hits a row of seats.

Rip

Mick F
1st January 2013, 12:00 PM
QF1 was a bit more than just overlooking reverse thrust Philip. A combination of factors occurred that created that incident.

Mick

Philip Argy
1st January 2013, 01:02 PM
The ATSB found that had reverse thrust been used the QF1 overrun would not have occurred. I agree there were many factors but the then-practised avoidance of reverse thrust was identified as the key factor that led to its lack of use even when required.

Mick F
1st January 2013, 08:00 PM
You don't think the CRM issue was just a big of a key factor? After all, that started the chain of events.

Philip Argy
1st January 2013, 08:26 PM
My phrase was "key factor" in relation to the overrun. I agreed there were many factors at play, but failure to identify during briefing the potential need for reverse thrust, and then failure to deploy reverse thrust, were key. The ATSB report supports that view.

The post-overrun issues from Bangkok are not relevent to the Moscow crash. My reason for comparing Moscow to Bangkok was that the loss of tyre grip through snow or excess water puts the focus onto the use of reverse thrust. I believe the allusion to be valid.

[Above comments made in relation to the pre-edited version of Mick's last contribution!]