PDA

View Full Version : Cutlery on QF flights

Peter I
15th June 2008, 12:31 PM
Hi all.
Just an enquiry to WHY on QF International flights in First and Business Class you get a bloody PLASTIC knife with your metal fork.
I am sure that other airlines out of Australia have all metal cutlery.
I flew to Hong Kong First Class last September and there was a plastic knife to use.

Andrew P
15th June 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi all.
Just an enquiry to WHY on QF International flights in First and Business Class you get a bloody PLASTIC knife with your metal fork.
I flew to Hong Kong First Class last September and there was a plastic knife to use.

blame the paranoia of the previous Federal Govt. and taken on by the current Govt.

A Federal Govt. requirement, all airlines have plastic knives on thier Aussie sections

Banjo

Peter I
15th June 2008, 01:05 PM
Thank you for your quick reply.
I am sure a metal fork could do damage to some-one as well.
You get plastic out of Australia but after a stop-over out comes the full metal service.

steve k
15th June 2008, 04:37 PM
I can confirm all cutlery into and out of Australia uses plastic knives, Malaysia and Air New Zealand, although in recent times a few knives have appeared and are quickly removed from service. More so with special meals coming in as they are made up differently to most other meals provided from the caterers and may inadvertantly be sent to Australia.
Steve K
And agreed that a fork could be just as lethal:rolleyes:

Scott Lindsell
16th June 2008, 10:09 AM
Hi all.

Wow Peter, this has been going around in your head since last September??? :eek::eek:

Peter I
16th June 2008, 06:04 PM
No Scott.
It hasn't worried me since September..I was just enquiring if this has ceased or is it still continuing after 7 yrs since the 9/11 incidents.
I think if you pay a huge amount for First or Business for that matter i think decent cutlery should be used but hey I don't work for the government.
But that is the way it goes.

Philip Argy
16th June 2008, 06:12 PM
As I recollect it, former Justice Minister Amanda Vanstone pointed out that a wooden shish kebab skewer is not detectable by sceening technology.

It really makes all the screening and plastic knives regime a huge waste of time and money - what should get the focus is pax (and airside staff) profiling and random full checking of the kind done for international arrivals.

D Chan
17th June 2008, 12:43 AM
And agreed that a fork could be just as lethal:rolleyes:

what about the cold hard buns they serve onboard? :D

steve k
17th June 2008, 11:07 AM
what about the cold hard buns they serve onboard? :D

What about the old, cold, hard hosties too.:D

Rod Sloan
17th June 2008, 12:03 PM
Easier to throw a cold, hard bun. :)

D Chan
17th June 2008, 10:43 PM
What about the old, cold, hard hosties too.:D

try united ;)

Nathan S
19th June 2008, 12:08 AM
As I recollect it, former Justice Minister Amanda Vanstone pointed out that a wooden shish kebab skewer is not detectable by sceening technology.

It really makes all the screening and plastic knives regime a huge waste of time and money - what should get the focus is pax (and airside staff) profiling and random full checking of the kind done for international arrivals.

It'd be great to have a decent orginisation take on procedures that you mention above on the way out of the country, even just having a couple of AFPPS officers around the departure screening point could help out.....

Adrian B
19th June 2008, 07:53 AM
If true, it astounds me that metal cutlery is used on one leg of an international flight, then plastic on another leg in the same a/c.

That said, I have accidentally taken a Leatherman tool in carry on (I thought I had removed it prior to departure) without it being picked up by security, so nothing surprises me. I only discovered this when I got to my motel. When I reported the incident to the airport, they were greatful for the feedback and asked I call the security company as well. When I called the security company, I was accused of being a troublemaker and my personal information was demanded so the police could be sent around. Not sure what happened to my phone on that day, if all of a sudden dropped out........

Greg F
19th June 2008, 08:08 AM
My uncle is a prison guard and hey says that they occasionally find sharpened toothbrushes (with the bristles cut off) Apparently they use a pencil sharpener, and are extremely sharp and dangerous!

Whats not to stop someone taking an object like this onto a plane?

A Razor sharp object would be far more dangerous than a butter knife!