PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Website Schedules & Bookings Question

Justin L
19th June 2008, 10:06 AM
While this is related to previous threads, it is a new question so I thought I would start a new one.

I am considering going to SGN, SIN and HAN after Christmas and into early January, using FF points to DRW and back and using combinations of Jetstar and Tiger for my flights to/from DRW.

Regarding the Jetstar website, I have been playing around with it over the past few days and was able to see DRW-SGN (JQ73) and SIN-DRW-SYD (JQ58/JQ74) options on the booking function. However, two days ago the SIN-SYD option is no longer able to be selected from the pull down menus and last night before 7pm I could still select DRW-SGN, but from 7.30pm and even until as of typing this post still cannot select it. However SYD-SGN (via DRW) with JQ73 is showing, as is SIN-MEL (via DRW).

Does anyone know if this is this likely just a case of the website being updated with the new schedules and only showing temporarily while they do this, only to be "launched" later once completed? I say this because the cut domestic and international flights are still showing at JetFlex fares only also.

Kent Broadhead
19th June 2008, 10:33 AM
I'd suggest that it's due to the fact that Jetstar and Jetstar Asia are no longer related......reported in Business Times Singapore (sorry, don't have link)

Kent

Justin L
19th June 2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks Kent. That may explain the SIN-DRW-SYD booking (although you can still book 3K flights on the JQ website), but not the DRW-SGN or even SYD-DRW which were showing up until yesterday, as they are JQ flights, not 3K. SYD-DRW-SGN is a through flight with the same flight number, although it says it departs from T2 in Sydney, so I guess you would clear customs in DRW.

Justin L
19th June 2008, 02:41 PM
I just rang JQ who still have DRW-SGN and SIN-DRW-SYD available for bookings on their system. It seems it is a website issue. I will give it a couple of days and have asked JQ to inform them as well (although I'm sure they are aware of it). JQ also said they would honour internet fares through a phone booking if it wasn't rectified by the time I decide to make a booking.

Torin Wilson
19th June 2008, 02:42 PM
Jetstar sisters fly the nest and go their separate ways
Ven Sreenivasan
18 June 2008
Business Times Singapore
English
(c) 2008 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

(SINGAPORE) In what some industry insiders might interpret as a case of sibling rivalry, Singapore-based Jetstar Asia and its much bigger Melbourne-based sister Jetstar Australia have parted ways.

The split comes barely a year after the two Qantas-controlled budget carriers embarked on an ambitious and extensive commercial arrangement which saw them sharing a common website, embarking on joint commercial operations, fare-fixing, purchasing, call-centre coordination, joint marketing and offering travellers almost seamless interline connectivity across carriers from both airlines.

The first indication that the partnership could be unravelling emerged late last year when Jetstar pulled out of its wet-lease arrangement with its Singaporean sister, under which the latter provided jets and crew for its Singapore-Darwin-Cairns service. And earlier this year, Jetstar Australia started operating its own planes on the Darwin-Cairns route.

Both carriers were guarded in their response when asked why the break-up occurred.

'They (Jetstar Asia) are a Singapore-owned entity, and for local reasons, they have decided to be more independent in their operations,' was the response of Jetstar Australia's spokesman Simon Westway. 'But we will continue to work together in some areas, such as sharing the brand, its website, and also ensuring consistency of the product.'

Jetstar Asia's CEO Chong Phit Lian said the split reflected growing confidence within her group in its own ability to manage its own operations.

'Our intention has always been to think global, but act local,' she said. 'This move essentially reflects the confidence we have in our own talent and ability. It also gives us better cost advantage. Still, we will continue working with Jetstar Australia in many areas, including maintaining a common website.'

But the Australian entity will take back its Navatair distribution system, leaving Jetstar Asia to set up its own localised version. Jetstar Australia has also taken back three A320s originally headed for the Singapore fleet, but which were leased to Atlas airlines in Turkey over two years ago. This leaves Jetstar Asia with seven planes which serve 14 regional routes.

Also, Jetstar Asia's codeshare with Vietnam-based Jetstar Pacific Airlines has ended. Jetstar Australia bought an 18 per cent stake in the Vietnamese domestic budget carrier last year, and will control about 30 per cent by 2001.

Some industry insiders who are close to both sides say the parting of ways resulted from differences in strategies, operational priorities and visions.

For example, Jetstar Australia is said to have had reservations about the Singapore unit's decision to go ahead with bulk ticketing arrangements with the now defunct Hong Kong-based long haul carrier, Oasis.

Meanwhile, Jetstar Australia, with its fleet of 20 A320s and half a dozen A330-220s, has a vast network spanning Australasia, and recently launched long range flights to South-east Asia, Japan and Hawaii.

Jetstar Asia had a couple of turbulent years after taking to the skies in 2004, but in recent years has seen an improvement in operations under the leadership of Ms Chong. She recently told BT that her airline could chalk up its first set of profits this year.

Despite the split, parent Qantas still owns Jetstar Australia and controls the Singapore budget carrier group through its 49 per cent stake in Orangestar. And Jetstar Australia's chief executive Alan Joyce remains on the board of Jetstar Asia's holding company, Orangestar.

Qantas and its budget offshoots embarked on the commercial arrangement almost two years ago, soon after it bought up failing privately owned discount carrier Valuair, then merged it with the then-struggling Jetstar Asia under the Orangestar banner. The exercise also saw a huge capital injection of some $36 million into the group by its two controlling shareholders - Qantas and the Temasek group.

This came after the two Singapore-based budget carriers burnt some $100 million in their first few years of operations and saw three changes in CEOs in as many years.

But the 'merger' drew howls of protest from competitors like Singapore's Tiger Airways, which claimed it was anti-competitive.

Still, the move was approved by both the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in 2006, and the Competition Commission of Singapore last year.