PDA

View Full Version : Status of Sydney Airport 'Spots'

Anthony J
28th June 2008, 09:29 AM
Hi guys, it seems the board is struggling to re-find it's mojo!

One feature I found very useful on the old board was the status and accessibility of photographic locations. Are any of our regular spots now closed?

I understand Barton Park is no longer accessible, is that correct?

Thanks!

Andrew McLaughlin
28th June 2008, 10:09 AM
Hi guys, it seems the board is struggling to re-find it's mojo!

One feature I found very useful on the old board was the status and accessibility of photographic locations. Are any of our regular spots now closed?

I understand Barton Park is no longer accessible, is that correct?

Thanks!

Hey AJ

The kids and I tried to get into Barton Park a few weeks ago. Half the carpark and the whole mound area is now fenced off and from what I could see, inaccessible.

I've heard they're storing equipment there for the Desal plant and are shipping it across the bay on barges rather than taking it by road, although it may also be gear for the runway runoff works.

Cheers

Micheil Keegan
28th June 2008, 05:48 PM
Qantas Drive is only good for things in the air on 16R now, the new fence doesn't have gaps in it big enough for them not to be in the photo, plus its 2ft higher and electrified.

Shep's Mound is rapidly loosing view with another aerobridge (from gate 60?) in the compound now. There is a new bus parking/servicing area off to the right and it came with a few new poles, plus first thing Saturday morning there are a few high buses parked in there restricting the view towards the 07/25 intersection.

Micheil

D Chan
28th June 2008, 11:12 PM
the top level of the new and almost finished carpark at the international might offer some sort of a view..
btw is it illegal to take photos on Qantas Drive (not the airport's side of the road)?

Craig Lindsay
29th June 2008, 06:32 AM
The beach beside 16L is very good for takeoffs

Anthony J
29th June 2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys, just the sort of information I am after!

Anthony J
1st July 2008, 08:52 AM
Is the International Terminal observation deck open again?

Andrew McLaughlin
1st July 2008, 08:54 AM
Is the International Terminal observation deck open again?

Hey AJ

It was open when I was last there about three weeks ago.

I understand Sydney Airport mgmt is not quite sure what to do with the Obs Deck as it's obviously space which is not being used to generate revenue!

Cheers

Sarah C
1st July 2008, 09:09 AM
Hey AJ

It was open when I was last there about three weeks ago.

I understand Sydney Airport mgmt is not quite sure what to do with the Obs Deck as it's obviously space which is not being used to generate revenue!

Cheers

If they reopen or put in a cafe at the top, they can make money. ;)

Micheil Keegan
1st July 2008, 04:23 PM
Maybe they should do it Hong Kong style, improve the view and charge a small fee. (by small I mean less than $5 in HK it was HK$15 which is just over AU$2)

Micheil

Paul McFarlane
1st July 2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe they should do it Hong Kong style, improve the view and charge a small fee. (by small I mean less than $5 in HK it was HK$15 which is just over AU$2)

Someone will have to explain to Macquarie what a small fee is. I don't believe they know what that term means.. ;)

Craig Lindsay
3rd July 2008, 08:17 AM

Micheil

Plus parking charges or the fair from the ripoff train service and its still an expensive visit.

NickN
3rd July 2008, 12:19 PM
C'mon poor old Macquarie are doing it tough, they have even withdrawn from providing mortgages:D

If they don't fleece every tourist that arrives in Sydney and give our country a really bad first impression to our international friends how are they going to survive?

Warick M
3rd July 2008, 05:49 PM
C'mon poor old Macquarie are doing it tough, they have even withdrawn from providing mortgages:D

If they don't fleece every tourist that arrives in Sydney and give our country a really bad first impression to our international friends how are they going to survive?

As a Macquarie Airports Share Holder I hope that like any business they do what is best for those that own a part of the company, that is improve profits and company returns. Like all businesses its there to make money.

Scott L.
3rd July 2008, 10:16 PM
As a Macquarie Airports Share Holder I hope that like any business they do what is best for those that own a part of the company, that is improve profits and company returns. Like all businesses its there to make money.

That's the spirit. You see, there is no challenge to compeition here and thus, they seem to be able to get away with whatever they like. The Federal Government should be pressed to preserve the benefit of an airport for the public who use it, not shareholders sipping brandy and sucking down a fat cigar like those folk at Macquarie.

Nigel C
4th July 2008, 05:10 AM
Maybe you can buy shares too, that way you can join them in sipping brandy and sucking down fat cigars.

D Chan
5th July 2008, 12:57 AM
to be honest I don't think a lot of people would go up to the observation deck if they charge. Certainly not the people who would normally go there to farewell flights.

I went to the mound today and saw for myself how the bridge is blocking the view. I hope the bridge gets relocated - such a pity!

Will T
5th July 2008, 07:07 AM
Some of you may remember the old 'Viewing Spots Guide' that was part of the Enthusiast web site. I'd love to get that document (as well as a few others) back online, but I'm a little out of the loop with the current 'spots'. To that end, if anyone's willing to update the document I'll send you the source code (no HTML knowledge required - you can amend the text in Word or notepad if you'd prefer) and I'll upload it, with credit to you.

Andrew McLaughlin
5th July 2008, 08:06 AM
Some of you may remember the old 'Viewing Spots Guide' that was part of the Enthusiast web site. I'd love to get that document (as well as a few others) back online, but I'm a little out of the loop with the current 'spots'. To that end, if anyone's willing to update the document I'll send you the source code (no HTML knowledge required - you can amend the text in Word or notepad if you'd prefer) and I'll upload it, with credit to you.

I'll do it if you like Will. I was thinking of doing it on a GoogleEarth page anyway.

Cheers

Mario Facchini
5th July 2008, 08:54 AM
http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php?title=Sydney_Airport_%28SYD/YSSY%29

This is probably the most indepth, spotters guide for YSSY i have found, also http://www.16right.com has some great information

Mario Facchini
5th July 2008, 11:33 PM
Just adding to my above post.

Security were real A-holes today, told me and my mate we could not take shots from the mound at the end of 16L.

Nigel C
6th July 2008, 12:29 AM
If you have a problem with them, then don't just vent it here.

If it was so bad that you feel like venting, write to the security section at Sydney Airport and outline your concerns there. They'll no doubt give you some feedback, and if there is a problem from the airside of the fence then they'll address it to ensure there aren't any further problems.

Nothing will change unless you put in writing.

Mario Facchini
6th July 2008, 10:55 AM
If you have a problem with them, then don't just vent it here.

If it was so bad that you feel like venting, write to the security section at Sydney Airport and outline your concerns there. They'll no doubt give you some feedback, and if there is a problem from the airside of the fence then they'll address it to ensure there aren't any further problems.

Nothing will change unless you put in writing.

As i said nigel, it was a problem when i was there yesterday, other times it has not been a problem, as you may know, it all depends on who you get and how they interpret the rules.

i have had security come up and have a great chat and offer some great tips.

It was not a vent, more highlighting the point, as most know, some security are not as friendly as some. i doubt Sydney Airport would want to waste their time checking on the "Friendlyness" of each security guard.

Nigel C
6th July 2008, 12:00 PM
If you start calling security "A-holes" on an online forum, then personally I reckon it comes across as venting.
If you had have said "Security were unusually strict" or "We were spoken to by security today in an area where I thought there'd be no problems", then it comes across a bit softer.

Sydney Airport are quite conscious of the public image that's portrayed, so I'm sure if there were a few bad apples they'd want to straighten them out.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Nigel

Wayne Bishop
6th July 2008, 12:35 PM
Hi all,
For those of us who have a two hour plus journey each way to go spottting...any chance someone might post a pic taken from the Mound showing the latest airbridge obstruction to the view? That way I can preplan a trip better informed.

Cheers
Wayne

Andrew P
6th July 2008, 01:07 PM
Nigel

pls see PM about the the thought police?

Banjo

Micheil Keegan
6th July 2008, 01:28 PM
Wayne,

Here's what the view looks like as of 2 weeks ago.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/mdkeegan/thumb.jpg (http://members.optusnet.com.au/mdkeegan/shepsmound.jpg)

Micheil

Nigel C
6th July 2008, 01:38 PM
Nigel

pls see PM about the the thought police?

Banjo

Thanks Banjo.

I have responded.

Yours thoughtfully,
Nigel

Wayne Bishop
6th July 2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Micheil,
Many thanks for posting the pic....basically no problem, air bridge is in corner...from the earlier comments I had the impression that it had been placed in a position that basically destroyed all views from the Mound.

Best regards
Wayne

Brendon I.
6th July 2008, 05:23 PM
Wayne,

I was out there last Sunday. I'm pretty sure there is an air bridge in the middle now where the slippery dip baggage thingo is in the photo that was posted by Micheil.

Wayne Bishop
6th July 2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the update Brendon. Seems that ladders are becoming very necessary now to get "above" obstacles....damn nice of my landlord to have purchased one for the house last week ;)

I shall have to start lugging that around with me,methinks.

Cheers
Wayne

Mario Facchini
6th July 2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the update Brendon. Seems that ladders are becoming very necessary now to get "above" obstacles....damn nice of my landlord to have purchased one for the house last week ;)

I shall have to start lugging that around with me,methinks.

Cheers
Wayne

You should be fine without the ladder, i was out there yesterday and today and it is as the picture posted.

Wayne Bishop
6th July 2008, 09:55 PM
Even better.
Cheers, Mario

Alan Dent
8th July 2008, 07:34 PM
The airbridges and other stuff that is in that compound by Shep's Mound could quite easily provide cover for some one to get quite close to the runway and taxi way with out being seen. May be if it was cleared away it wouldn't be a security risk.