Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Flying into Avalon for the Airshow 2009 Question (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2319)

damien b 23rd January 2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick F (Post 20260)
Based on previous Avalon Airshows that I've been to, I wouldn't bother buying grandstand tickets to this. Just take a chair with you and wander around and enjoy it.

Mick

I'll second Micks thoughts - i've always arrived around 8am, walked around the static displays and then picked a spot on the fence and enjoyed the display.

Tony P 23rd January 2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick F (Post 20260)
Based on previous Avalon Airshows that I've been to, I wouldn't bother buying grandstand tickets to this. Just take a chair with you and wander around and enjoy it.

Mick

Yep the good old $5 jobs from bunnings are a treat.

Gareth Forwood 23rd January 2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony P (Post 20287)
Yep the good old $5 jobs from bunnings are a treat.

make sure there are stubbie holders in the arms of the chair...

Tony P 23rd January 2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Forwood (Post 20290)
make sure there are stubbie holders in the arms of the chair...

That's a prerequisite :D

NickN 23rd January 2009 12:59 PM

I'm driving down and was told the traffic is chaotic at best in the area of the airport with traffic jams everywhere, anybody know if that is true?

Andrew McLaughlin 23rd January 2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickN (Post 20295)
I'm driving down and was told the traffic is chaotic at best in the area of the airport with traffic jams everywhere, anybody know if that is true?

Depends on what time you drive and how patient you are.

If you accept that it's a major event with ~60,000 people in attendance, 50,000 of whom use the same road to get there and back, and you choose to drive in and out at the same time as most of these people then you'll need to be patient.

If you think a little laterally, i.e. stay in Geelong, or go early and leave late, or go late and leave early, then it's not so bad. We go early and leave late every day, and rarely have any hassles driving to and from the show from Melbourne.

NickN 23rd January 2009 06:50 PM

Excellent advice thanks Andrew.

We will more than likely be staying in the Geelong area.

Tim Bowrey 23rd January 2009 08:18 PM

Whats the go with EBU. Is it still sitting outside where the photo was taken of it all blue or is it in some hanger? I havent been to Avalon before and id love to see it.

Andrew McLaughlin 23rd January 2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickN (Post 20311)
Excellent advice thanks Andrew.

We will more than likely be staying in the Geelong area.

I will add though, that although the drive on the freeway to and from Geelong is a little easier than Melbourne, the final leg to and from Lara into the airshow site can still be tedious, so again, be patient.

Andrew McLaughlin 23rd January 2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey (Post 20316)
Whats the go with EBU. Is it still sitting outside where the photo was taken of it all blue or is it in some hanger? I havent been to Avalon before and id love to see it.

Can almost guarantee it'll be in a hangar come Avalon...