Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Avalon airshow 2011 (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=5769)

Stuart Trevena 16th August 2010 06:00 PM

Hi All,

Also, I think the Charter 747 was only on Sunday for memory.

Stuart

Raymond Rowe 16th August 2010 08:41 PM

Yes it was and yes it had Pax from Syd

Tony P 18th August 2010 11:29 AM

Was the 747 opened to the public to fly in on it? Happy to be corrected but I don't think it was.

Stephen Brown 18th August 2010 01:04 PM

I was on it...Business Class...Very nice way to go to an Airshow.

Adam W 18th August 2010 02:17 PM

The Qantas flight from SYD is usually only available to Qantas staff.

Tony P 19th August 2010 11:47 AM

Thanks Adam. That's what I thought.

Mark W 19th August 2010 12:39 PM

Please don't rely on a QF airplane being available for travel to Avalon, either as a staff member or as a member of the public via a Charity (ie Pathfinders).

Given the security requirements for passenger screening (which has to be done by hand thus a very long boarding time in the static display park) and the limited parking positions available to accommodate an A380 or B744 (thus necessarily blocking other display aircraft whilst boarding), it is likely to go empty based on issues over previous years.

These decisions are usually made very late depending on the commercial requirement close to the event and the ultimate availability of parking once all participants are confirmed.

Gareth Forwood 2nd January 2011 03:21 PM

Sorry to bring this back up, but I thought it best to keep new Avalon questions in the same thread...

I remember last year the display, which started in the afternoon, was almost entirely backlit with the spectators looking directly into the sun. Does anyone know of anywhere outside the airport where non-backlit photos can be taken? I will have a hire car so the distance isn't an issue.

Cheers,
Gareth

Geoff W 2nd January 2011 03:46 PM

Hi Gareth,

You are a 100% with the sun from early arvo until dusk.

Guess we should be happy with a fine day!

I assume you may have to go to the northern end (across the Princes freeway though)
http://www.whereis.com/vic/avalon#session=MTU=

You would certainly see the big stuff from there. I wouldnt feel comfortable in telling you of other details. I have never came in from the west to the airshow, so I cant advise on this one.

I will be interested to hear of our friends who will have better knowledge on this than me.

All of the roads that I know of near Avalon on the these airshows days are "taken over" for traffic management.

I believe they in general are getting it better. It was a bit of a hassle to say the least a few years ago.

However this is conducive to "the show is over" we all want to go home at the same time. We arrive in dribs & drabs.....

The airshow is NOT the only venue to have this happen of course.

Here's hoping for a good day.

Enjoy!

Kind regards,

Geoff

Tony G 2nd January 2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Forwood (Post 54320)
Sorry to bring this back up, but I thought it best to keep new Avalon questions in the same thread...

I remember last year the display, which started in the afternoon, was almost entirely backlit with the spectators looking directly into the sun. Does anyone know of anywhere outside the airport where non-backlit photos can be taken? I will have a hire car so the distance isn't an issue.
Cheers,
Gareth

The last time I went to the airshow, I had a car and found a great spot inline with the runway. You get some nice shots of the aircraft lining up and preparing for their flyby. I however did not get many shots as it was overcast and the police would not allow you to pull over to the side of the road. They would just drive up the road moving on any cars that would stop. Not sure
why, it was way out the way of traffic nothing but padocks about.