Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Flying and Technical Discussion (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brenden's cargo hold photo (from 'Qantas Depressurisation' thread) (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=1155)

Brenden S 30th July 2008 01:27 AM

Thanks to everyone, yes it is my photo and yes I have been in contact with the daily telegraph. They are getting back to me after several lengthy phone calls. I will however copyright the image now. But to all be warned put a copyright on the image.

Adrian B 30th July 2008 10:56 AM

A work colleague wen to a AIPA (?) meeting last week, and was given this article. Its from the Australian Copyright Council.

It talks about a magical date of 30 July 1998 reegarding ownership. Also mentions copyright of images taken during work / at palces of work etc etc. A good and interetsting read for those concerned.

Copyright as it pertains to Photographers PDF information sheet.

You will need Acrobat to read the information sheet.

Brenden S 30th July 2008 12:47 PM

Thank you so much Adrian.

Josh F 30th July 2008 01:08 PM

Can I please confirm that if there is no Copyright watermark or reference on the photo that it can be replicated without permission as it would make it impossible to know who the owner is?

Philip Argy 30th July 2008 02:12 PM

Copyright is personal property

Quote:

Can I please confirm that if there is no Copyright watermark or reference on the photo that it can be replicated without permission as it would make it impossible to know who the owner is?
No Josh - that's total rubbish. A photographer owns copyright in photos he or she takes. If you are employed as a photographer then photos taken as part of your job belong to your employer.

A copyright watermark or other explicit claim may help people figure out from whom they need permission to reproduce, and who to give the attribution to, but its absence is irrelevant - it just means they have to try harder to find out who owns the copyright.

In the case of something posted on this board, it shouldn't be hard to post a question or send a PM to the poster asking the question, so there's no excuse for anyone to reproduce anyone's contribution from this board and publish it unattributed. That is just straight theft.

Also of relevance is clause 3.3 of the conditions of use of this board, the relevant portion of which states:

Quote:

... the following conditions must be satisfied when using the material on the Board:

- The source of the material is acknowledged, including details of author, artist or creator as required; and
- Any additional requirements on the part of the copyright holder are met; and
- The requirements of the Copyright Act 1968 (Commonwealth) are met.

Rhys Xanthis 30th July 2008 03:13 PM

This is enough for me to make a watermark, and batch apply it to all my photo's i take (when i get a decent lens:p).

Have one copy with watermark, one without.

I'd suggest others perhaps do the same.

Tim C 30th July 2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis (Post 9594)
This is enough for me to make a watermark, and batch apply it to all my photo's i take (when i get a decent lens:p).

Have one copy with watermark, one without.

Thanks for that mate will keep it in mind good idea!

Montague S 30th July 2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis (Post 9594)

never crossed my mind with the 3500 shots I have in two databases...

look forward to screening your work.

Rhys Xanthis 30th July 2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montague S (Post 9608)

look forward to screening your work.

:confused:

Nick W. 30th July 2008 06:42 PM

wish someone would steal my photos... :mad:

;)