Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   International Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MH370 - Missing (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=9854)

Rich W 14th March 2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Lumsden (Post 88102)
This information has since been debunked...

I thought that too however apparently... "The engines of a missing Malaysian airliner continued to operate for about four hours after it disappeared from radar over the Gulf of Thailand, US authorities said on Thursday"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-...#ixzz2vtkaOuLZ

Michael Mak 14th March 2014 12:18 PM

Either the Malaysian Government knows a lot more than what they have publicly stated, or they don't have the faintest idea of what has happened to the plane.

Hugh Jarse 14th March 2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich W (Post 88101)
Does anyone know the technology how this engine data is transmitted? How could they receive this info up to 4 hours after the last ACARS message? Why wouldn't Malaysian Airlines have this info too? In the press conference they mentioned that no other data was received after the last ACARS message. Smells like media hype to me.

Generally, via standard VHF link. If it is unable to connect that way, then it uses satphone.

Rich W 14th March 2014 02:30 PM

I know its too early yet but in the future, don't you think it would make more sense that the transponder is securely located so it is not allowed to be turned off by anyone on board? Obviously this won't help if there is some kind of malfunction however at least in MH370 case, would have ruled out the possibility of foul play.

NathanJ 14th March 2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich W (Post 88104)
I thought that too however apparently... "The engines of a missing Malaysian airliner continued to operate for about four hours after it disappeared from radar over the Gulf of Thailand, US authorities said on Thursday"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-...#ixzz2vtkaOuLZ

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

SMH article from this morning states that those claims reported in the wall street journal were "unverified".

http://www.smh.com.au/world/malaysia...313-hvifu.html

Then this article states that "Sources familiar with the investigation reiterated that neither Boeing nor Rolls-Royce had received any engine maintenance data from the jet after the point at which its pilots last made contact. Only one engine maintenance update was received during the normal phase of flight, they said, speaking on condition on anonymity"

http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-...#ixzz2vtkaOuLZ

So much "story" telling!!!

Todd Hendry 14th March 2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich W (Post 88110)
I know its too early yet but in the future, don't you think it would make more sense that the transponder is securely located so it is not allowed to be turned off by anyone on board? Obviously this won't help if there is some kind of malfunction however at least in MH370 case, would have ruled out the possibility of foul play.

No Rich.

If it caught on fire I'd rather be able to cut power to it than worry about something so remote as this happening.

A transponder is only as good as the ground equipment it talks or doesn't talk to.

Todd.

NathanJ 14th March 2014 03:34 PM

Interesting new article from one of the USA's most credible reporting agencies...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mal...5524/?ref=auto

Montague S 14th March 2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mak (Post 88106)
Either the Malaysian Government knows a lot more than what they have publicly stated, or they don't have the faintest idea of what has happened to the plane.

once again the latter would be correct..and that's partly due to 50 years of 1 government rule.

Olle Q 14th March 2014 08:32 PM

Reauters are supposed to be a reliable source, but in this case I don´t know. Read this:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2D0DG20140314

Paul F 14th March 2014 08:32 PM

New radar evidence shows flight MH370 following waypoints towards the Andaman Islands.

Olle Q 14th March 2014 08:48 PM

Andaman Islands? If they landed there, do they have an air-strip long enough för a triple 7? And why this group of islands?

Jayden Laing 14th March 2014 09:38 PM

I think so Ollie. Vir Savarkar Airport is the only airport there however it's controlled by the Indian navy & only daytime flights are allowed.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vir_Savarkar_Airport

Geoff Br 14th March 2014 10:28 PM

This link seems to present an up to date reference of the circumstances http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

Grahame Hutchison 15th March 2014 02:25 PM

From NEWS.COM.AU ...

Quote:

A MALAYSIAN government official says investigators have concluded that one of the pilots or someone else with flying experience hijacked the missing Malaysia Airlines jet.
The news comes after seven days of fruitless searches for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, and after revelations suggesting the plane made several course corrections after the cockpit’s last known contact with air traffic control.
The official, who is involved in the investigation, says no motive has been established, and it is not yet clear where the plane was taken. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to brief the media.
The official said that hijacking was no longer a theory. “It is conclusive.’’

Torin Wilson 15th March 2014 03:07 PM

Malaysian PM to give news conference 1:30pm Malaysia time (in 23 minutes)

Torin Wilson 15th March 2014 03:29 PM

Should be just about to begin

Live stream http://english.astroawani.com/videos/live

And here http://www.livestation.com/en/reuters#

No questions are allowed in the conference

Grahame Hutchison 15th March 2014 04:23 PM

1724 On now

From Malaysian Prime Minister :

Confirms that MH370 turned back across Malay Peninsula, then headed northwest.

After that it may have tracked into the Indian Ocean (southern corridor), or up towards Thailand and Kazakhstan (northern corridor). The FAA, NTSB, AAIB and other Authorities analysed the satellite and primary radar data separately, and concur on this result. All countries in the northern and southern corridors have been invited to a briefing.

Now investigating all passengers and crew.

Search efforts in the South China Sea now suppended while the reassess the use of resources.

Daniel M 15th March 2014 04:37 PM

Malaysian PM has confirmed that aircaft has been hijacked, with a high degree of probability

ACARS and transponder deliberately switched off

Aircraft could be as far away as Kazakstan.

Arthur T 15th March 2014 05:12 PM

So where is the plane?
I found this has been so bizarre. How dare you know the plane flew to Indian Ocean last week yet no disclosure made and everyone searched over the Thailand Gulf?
How much money and human effort do you want to waste in search and rescue mission for MH370?
I'm totally disappointed and my confidence in Malaysian air safety & security needs serious reconsideration.
I hope Malaysia and neighbouring countries will reveal the truth of this incident, so we can get the plane and passengers back.

Olle Q 15th March 2014 07:19 PM

How long have the Malaysian authorities know it was hijacked before the PM confirmed it today? And if it is a question of days, why didn´t the authorities say anything?

Grahame Hutchison 15th March 2014 09:06 PM

Last known position of MH370 based on satellite data according to Malaysian authorities. Let's
hope it was on the northern red line and they have landed safely somewhere. Based on the northern
arc, it's a bit out there, but could this turn out to be linked to the current crisis over Ukraine and
the Crimea, some sort of hostage leverage to force Russia's hand, or a 911 style attack on Moscow ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Biw3B8KCcAA89Ex.jpg

Michael Cleary 15th March 2014 10:18 PM

And based on the Southern Arc, about the only place it could have landed would be Diego Garcia - but the Americans would have said so - wouldn't they?

Scott S 15th March 2014 11:03 PM

The press conference this afternoon only indicated that Malaysia Airlines will have nothing to do with this anymore, so does the government. They don't have anything to keep hiding and things progressed much quicker than they expected, especially the Ping to the satellite. It's the time for the main actors on the stage.

This is a joint operation of US and China, there were Jammer involved. The operation is about possible small nuclear device on board, of course have been offloaded before the flight took off. The nuclear thing is targeting Beijing, part of the plan of the coup to destablise the current government.

The aircraft did landed on Diego Garcia, unclear if it is still there or not.

The Chinese passengers has already back in China in somewhere, highly likely on Hainan Island.

Michael Cleary 16th March 2014 12:01 AM

Whacky theory. But, as things stand, anything is possible.

Bob C 16th March 2014 01:09 AM

Hi Scott C

Could you please edit your post, and perhaps send it again in a more readable form.

Cheers

Bob C

Philip Argy 16th March 2014 02:18 AM

Is this engine data ping thing right?

I was not aware of the engine data satellite comms/pinging independent of ACARS and transponder - can anyone on here who knows what they're talking about explain how this works, assuming the basic proposition is accurate?

Montague S 16th March 2014 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison (Post 88168)
Last known position of MH370 based on satellite data according to Malaysian authorities. Let's
hope it was on the northern red line and they have landed safely somewhere. Based on the northern
arc, it's a bit out there, but could this turn out to be linked to the current crisis over Ukraine and
the Crimea, some sort of hostage leverage to force Russia's hand, or a 911 style attack on Moscow ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Biw3B8KCcAA89Ex.jpg

if the red line is accurate that would put the a/c very close to ZWWW at some stage..could it seriously fly over India & China without detection?

Grahame Hutchison 16th March 2014 08:51 AM

Philip, From what I understand, the engine performance monitoring is transmitted via ACARS, using radio or satellite communications. The data can also be stored and transmitted when coms are available - I have seen several examples where complete tracks from LAX to SYD have been downloaded via ACARS when the aircraft is 250nm out of Sydney. ACARS engine status reporting is done independent of the Tech Crew, and ACARS is not related to the Transponder at all. The CDU can be used by the pilots to send/receive other information via ACARS, like weather, gate numbers requests etc. Other systems can interface to ACARS to send messages.

I am not sure if the complete ACARS system can be shutdown by the pilots (maybe someone else can answer that one).

Some ACARS examples from this morning ...

ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: .VH-OQC Operational Coms
Message label: 87 Block id: 1 Msg. no: U58A
Flight id: QF0012
Message content:-
TO OPERATIONS
DELAY. LAST DOOR CLOSED ON SCHEDULE HOWEVER JUST AFTER DOOR CLOSURE
ECAM FOR SURV-WX RADAR AND TAWS. SPOKE WITH ENGINEER AND COMPLETED
A RESET. PUSHED BACK AT 0602
-------------------------------------[16/03/2014 06:30]

ACARS mode: S Aircraft reg: .CC-CQF System Status
Message label: H1 Block id: 0 Msg. no: C18A
Flight id: LA0801
#CFB.1/WRN/WN1403152001 732102506MAINTENANCE STATUS ECU3 CHAN A
-------------------------------------[16/03/2014 07:00]

ACARS mode: S Aircraft reg: .CC-CQF
Message label: H1 Block id: 1 Msg. no: C19A
Flight id: LA0801
#CFB.1/WRN/WN1403152001 732103006MAINTENANCE STATUS ECU3 CHAN B
-------------------------------------[16/03/2014 07:00]

ACARS mode: S Aircraft reg: .VH-OJU Inbound With PAX Details
Message label: 86 Block id: 4 Msg. no: M05A
Flight id: QF0108
ARI
ETAB 2125YSSY
WHLCHR 02 / MED
ASST MINORS PAX
SICK N
SI NO TO AQIS.
h M O $O
-------------------------------------[16/03/2014 07:45]

ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: .VH-OJU AMDAR Weather Report - Lat,Long,Alt,Turbulence etc
Message label: H1 Block id: 5 Msg. no: D26A
Flight id: QF0108
#2TBKLAXYSSY
AMDAR 1521
D3330S15305E2101F340M507272041008
D3337S15251E2103F301M401281029009
D3343S15239E2104F266M308298025010
D3349S15229E2106F236M235303035009
D3354S15219E2108F208M168299034007
-------------------------------------[16/03/2014 08:08]

ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: .VH-OGR Engine Report
Message label: H1 Block id: Msg. no: D004
Flight id: QF0091
#2UBBLD-TKO
VH-OGR QFA0091
2207 15MAR14 SYD- NOU- CL 7 VER026
LEFT ENG RIGHT ENG
======== =========
CL NO CL NO HPSOV POS
NC NO NC NO PRV POS
98 1
-------------------------------------[16/03/2014 09:11]
ACARS mode: 2 Aircraft reg: .VH-OGR
Message label: H1 Block id: Msg. no: D005
Flight id: QF0091
#2UB00 PRV EXIT PRESS
NC NO NC NO FAV POS
H H TEMP RANGE FLG
181 196 FATS TEMP
NC NO NC NO PRSOV POS
0 0 ISO VALV
-------------------------------------[16/03/2014 09:11]

Grahame Hutchison 16th March 2014 06:37 PM

From NEWS.COM.AU

Quote:

The latest developments in the investigation come as British media are speculating the plane’s disappearance could also be linked to al-Qaeda.
A plot created by Malaysian Islamists to hijack the Malaysia Airlines plane in a 9/11-style attack is being investigated, The UK’s Daily Telegraph reports.

It comes after al-Qaeda informant Saajid Badat, a British-born Muslim from Gloucester, told a court that a group of Malaysian men had been planning to take control of a plane, using a bomb hidden in a shoe to blow open the cockpit door.

Security experts said his evidence was “credible”.
Quote:

Badat said that he had met the Malaysian jihadists – one of whom was a pilot – in Afghanistan and given them a shoe bomb to use to take control of an aircraft.
In giving evidence at the trial in New York of Sulaiman Abu Ghaith, Osama bin Laden’s son-in-law, Badat said: “I gave one of my shoes to the Malaysians. I think it was to access the cockpit.”

Badat, who spoke via video link, said the Malaysian plot was being masterminded by Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who was behind the 9/11 attack in the US in 2001.

Scott L. 16th March 2014 06:59 PM

I wonder what Uncle Sam knows, or what they saw and maybe what they can currently see and what they can hear?

MarkR 17th March 2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Argy (Post 88177)
I was not aware of the engine data satellite comms/pinging independent of ACARS and transponder - can anyone on here who knows what they're talking about explain how this works, assuming the basic proposition is accurate?

Forget the engine data, it's been confirmed no ACARS transmissions have been made before handover. What they have done is looked at the handshake ping that occurs once every hour from the Immarsat to clients. Presumably the return ping also provides the satellite with elevation data, that is where the aircraft is seeing the sat on the horizon, if you look at the image there are clear angle rings, starting from 90 at the sat, which of course is what the antenna angle would be at underneath the sat.

Whoever took the aircraft was not across the fact a satcom pings, despite all the devices connected to it being shutdown. Had the aircraft been newer it would probably have the irridium package which are low orbit sats, and would have been able to narrow down the location to a much smaller area. The foot print on each Immarsat takes up 1/3 of each part of the world at the equator, but is non existent / unusable once you get past + or - 70 degrees of latitude heading for the poles.

Jon B 17th March 2014 07:24 PM

Two questions regarding the recent announcements on possible track of the aircraft

1 - If it had flown on the southern track into Indian Ocean would it not have potentially shown up on the Australian JORN network?
2 - I have not flown on Malaysian Airlines for a few years but would any passenger onboard who had the flight path on the IFE see the plane change course and then contine on a course that was not towards the destination?

JamesL 17th March 2014 07:47 PM

2 - Yes, unless the system was shut down.

Bob C 17th March 2014 08:21 PM

Hi James L

My thoughts exactly as I posed the question about JORN (Jindalee Over The Horizon Radar Network) on Oz-spotters a few days ago.

JORN has a published range of 1000 - 3000 kms (and possibly more) depending on atmospheric conditions so if the missing aircraft did head southwest it COULD have been within range of JORN, provided of course it was operational as I understand that it does not operate 24/7 !!

The station at Laverton in W A would have been the closest and most likely to detect it. So therefore I presume that even if the transponders were turned off, JORN may have tracked an unidentified aircraft over the Indian Ocean as did the other military radars in South East Asia.

And I also thought about the IFE and iPad if u were a passenger watching the course but I presume the screens would have gone blank if systems had been turned off but I don't know enough to make a really informed comment.

However, I have carried an old fashioned compass in my camera bag for years (a relic of Orienteering and CMF days) and sometimes use it on aircraft when I'm returning from MEL to PER, usually due west on a heading of 270 degrees. The slightest change in course swings the compass so if the aircraft I was travelling did dramatically change course, then I would know about it.

But what can you do when travelling in an aluminium tube at 10,000 metres ? Just panic I suppose.

Nigel C 17th March 2014 08:27 PM

I presume at that time of the night, most of the pax would have been asleep so they wouldn't have noticed any change in heading anyway.

Montague S 18th March 2014 05:22 AM

MH has confirmed that the last radio transmission was from the f/o.

Grahame Hutchison 18th March 2014 03:33 PM

Another Interesting Theory ...

MH370 shadows SQ68 through the volatile airspace of India and Pakistan, and then breaks off to its final destination.

David N 19th March 2014 02:46 AM

This and something else I have read linked from the same site is very scary stuff.

We can only hope evidence of wreckage is found soon instead of the alternative to what these sites are now suggesting.

Montague S 19th March 2014 10:47 AM

and now MH has confirmed that the ACARS was not disconnected before the final transmission...50 years of 1 party rule = absolute circus.

Nigel C 19th March 2014 11:27 AM

A plausible theory, amongst the many, many others.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03...ectrical-fire/