Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   International Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Airports Across UK To Close? (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=5255)

Ryan N 15th April 2010 06:31 PM

Airports Across UK To Close?

Just heard a "breaking news" on Channel 7 saying all airports in the UK will close in 2 hours. Can anyone confirm this?

Ryan N 15th April 2010 06:33 PM

I think I've just answered my own question.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225854233663

Geoff W 15th April 2010 06:34 PM

I have only seen this at this point.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1225854233663

What a mess?

Kind regards,

Geoff

Matt D 15th April 2010 06:42 PM

An extract from British Airways notification received today 0845UTC :

Quote:

There was a large volcanic eruption in Iceland on Wednesday April 14.

Due to the weather conditions, a plume of volcanic ash has now spread southwards towards northern Europe and is severely affecting all airlines' flight activity in the area.

For safety reasons and on the direction from Air Traffic Control Service (NATS) a decision has been made to cancel a number of flights and close all London airports.

As a result ALL airlines will be impacted and we will therefore not be able to operate services after 11.30am from London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City. Additionally, all British Airways domestic services have been cancelled on Thursday 15 April.

You are advised to check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport.

Geoff W 15th April 2010 06:54 PM

From the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8621407.stm

Kind regards,

Geoff

Michael Cleary 15th April 2010 07:16 PM

And from NATS http://www.nats.co.uk/:

Quote:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Thurs April 15, 09:30
From midday today until at least 6pm, there will be no flights permitted in UK controlled airspace other than emergency situations. This has been applied in accordance with international civil aviation policy. We continue to monitor the situation with the Met Office and work closely with airline customers and adjoining countries.
The Ash is apparently up to 55,000 feet.

Stuart Trevena 15th April 2010 10:23 PM

Hi All,

What impact will this have on QF Flights into / Out of LHR?

Will they divert to / operate out of Frankfurt?

Stuart

Peter Agatsiotis 15th April 2010 11:10 PM

I am just looking at PlanePlotter over southern UK (12pm local) and there is only one a/c circling near London. Never seen this before.
From the PP forum looks like the ash system is moving south so flights in Northern UK and other parts of Europe have resumed or will be resuming shortly.

Flights that normally fly 'over' the UK will obviously be directed around the system. Will re-check the PP forum for the latest.

Robert S 16th April 2010 12:51 AM

Latest is now no flights in UK airspace until at least 0700 BST on Friday.

At 2000 BST Thursday they will make a further announcement regarding arrangements through to 1300 BST Friday.

Michael Morrison 16th April 2010 01:27 AM

Yep - most northern countries have their airspace closed and Netherlands and Belgium are closing now. I believe the french ahve just announced Paris airports are also to close.

Check out http://www.flightradar24.com/ for a view of how few flights are flying!

Some are saying it could last a day or so more.

Kieran Wells 16th April 2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Morrison (Post 45408)

Check out http://www.flightradar24.com/ for a view of how few flights are flying!

Very Very quiet over Europe now, at 437pm local time in London. Noticed BA flights are all cancelled, so you won't see any BA birds here on Saturday. Does that mean we will see double on Sunday?

Flight radar is struggling by the looks of it with the following message:

Quote:

Due to an extreme amount of visitors at Flightradar24, we have temporarliy suspended the ability to click on aircrafts (normally shows info (speed etc) and plane trail )
Casper is also looking very sad with no aircraft on it: http://casper.frontier.nl/eham/

Will be interesting to see how this is handled by all involved, and take a few days to catch up.

Justin L 16th April 2010 04:12 AM

Looking across at the tarmac of Las Vegas airport from my office window this morning, the BA 777 which arrives and departs each evening here for LHR is moved back from the terminal at a stand-off bay (centre of attached photo). No doubt halted due to the closed air space.

Neil Hogbin 16th April 2010 04:16 AM

Hi everybody. All UK airports will remain closed until 1300 Friday lunch time. Qantas did manage to get the QF32 and the QF30 out of Heathrow on Thursday by bringing the departure time forward by about an hour, departing just after 11AM local before Heathrow closed at mid-day. I understand that the Qantas flights due to arrive into Heathrow Friday morning are being held in either Singapore or Bangkok with revised arrival times of early evening, but of course that is subject to change as the situation is updated..

Matt D 16th April 2010 06:04 AM

NATS have just announced that all UK airspace will remain closed until at least 1pm British summer time. (that's 26hrs and counting)

Sarah C 16th April 2010 07:11 AM

Amazing impact - mother nature has a lot of control over things, so it will be interesting how "clear" the skies get over the coming hours.

On the news this morning they had the usual whinging passengers, this time complaining about "we don't know whats happened". Every airline is trying to get information and get things organised as quickly as possible.

Noel White 16th April 2010 07:42 AM

If you haven't got PlanePlotter installed, go to this site to see air traffic or the lack of air traffic over the UK. Reminders me of USA on 11 Sept 2001.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Cheers,

Noel

Justin L 16th April 2010 09:14 AM

The BA 777 in Las Vegas I mentioned in an earlier post has just returned to the terminal and is at the gate. Perhaps trans-Atlantic flights approaching from the west may resume soon as the cloud moves east?

Las Vegas airport website has a press release stating today's (Thursday's) BA flight to LHR and VS's flight to LGW as being cancelled (the incoming flights were both cancelled), but the BA flight currently at the terminal is really Wednesday's delayed flight.

Condor's flight from Las Vegas to Frankfurt is still scheduled to depart this afternoon.

Dan Hammond 16th April 2010 11:22 AM

Hi everyone,

This may be related, Qantas today has cancelled QF9 from MEL to SIN and LHR but QF29 is still scheduled to leave tonight.

Im not 100% sure if the cancellation of QF9 is related but it just may be.

Malcolm Parker 16th April 2010 12:16 PM

All QF and BA flights to LHR and FRA have been cancelled for today

Also EK is not accepting any passengers on its network whose end destination is in Europe as well due to no more transit accommodation available in DXB for today as well.

More to follow I asume.

Karl M 16th April 2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Hammond (Post 45424)
Hi everyone,

This may be related, Qantas today has cancelled QF9 from MEL to SIN and LHR but QF29 is still scheduled to leave tonight.

Im not 100% sure if the cancellation of QF9 is related but it just may be.

29 canx as well.

Matt D 16th April 2010 04:59 PM

NATS have extended the closure of UK airspace until at least 16/4 1900 BST (34hrs and counting)

Peter Agatsiotis 16th April 2010 05:00 PM

Just watching the SBS german news which showed a few European airports with all gates full.

In the segment it said that the last time this volcano erupted back in the 1820's it was belching out ash for 2 years!.

To make matters worst, passengers trying to get out of France by train can't because of a French Rail strike.

Looks like all the UK (and Frankfurt) bound flights from yesterday are still at their 'transit' points of Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong.

I noticed earlier that Virgin Atlantic had departed to HKG.

5pm statement from Qantas was that UK flights this weekend will probably be cancelled.

Also on PP now is QF31 heading to MEL (VH-OQC)?

Jason H 16th April 2010 05:25 PM

QF5/9/29 have all been cancelled, and yesterday's QF1/5/9/29/31 are all stuck in BKK/SIN/HKG.

Today, QF31, VH-OQC is operating via MEL to SIN only.
QF1, VH-OJH is operating SYD to BKK only

What a clustermug!!

Peter Agatsiotis 16th April 2010 05:26 PM

And now QF1 is airborne so a bit confusing as to why some flights are leaving and not others.

Neither of the BA flights have left (yet).

Latest report from PP is that some flights out of Scotland have departed as well as those from Wales and Ireland but limited number as ATC in different sections assess what flights can take place.

Matthew H 16th April 2010 06:00 PM

Current screenshot from Plane Plotter of Europe.

http://huppatz.com/Images/eurotraffic01-small.png
Click to enlarge.

NeilP 16th April 2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Agatsiotis (Post 45436)
And now QF1 is airborne so a bit confusing as to why some flights are leaving and not others.

Neither of the BA flights have left (yet).

Latest report from PP is that some flights out of Scotland have departed as well as those from Wales and Ireland but limited number as ATC in different sections assess what flights can take place.

I was on The Mound this afternoon and saw both BA aircraft on the stand-off bays and was surprised to see Virgin Atlantic had already left, and even more surprised to see QF1 depart at 1805...

Peter Agatsiotis 16th April 2010 08:51 PM

On ABC news a Qantas spokesperson stated that they have despatched 2 a/c for Asia bound pax only. That explains QF1 to BKK and QF31 went to MEL to allow Asia bound pax from the 2 MEL flights to SIN.

He also said that they would be bringing back 2 a/c back from Asian ports.

A bit of activity over the UK/Ireland with 2 Aer Lingus A330's US bound and a couple of Thomsonfly a/c arriving at Glasgow and now Manchester.

Karl M 16th April 2010 09:59 PM

I would think that maybe the BA pax in SYD went out on the QF flights, so no need to operate the BA aircraft.
But it would have been asian destination bound pax only.

SteveW 17th April 2010 01:29 AM

Just got back from BNE with some family who were due to travel on EK433 to Dubai then EK009 to London Gatwick. We got to the airport, got told they weren't flying as Emirates have canned UK flights until the 19th.

They gave us the 1300 reservations number and said to call them to rebook flights.

A bit **** poor if you ask me. The chances of getting through on that number given the vast numbers of pax affected is ludicrously small...

Matt D 17th April 2010 06:41 AM

NATS, the UK's equivalent to Air Services Australia, is the best place for updates on the UK airspace situation. http://www.nats.co.uk/index.html

Eurocontrol for mainland Europe: http://www.eurocontrol.int/corporate...news_list.html

Michael Morrison 17th April 2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveW (Post 45459)
A bit **** poor if you ask me. The chances of getting through on that number given the vast numbers of pax affected is ludicrously small...

KLM are worse. Am here in the Netherlands and their phone line says sorry - there is a disruption and we will no longer take calls. They have no staff at the airport ticket desks either.... When I called the US number to try and get rebooked I was told that they would not help and would terminate the call as I should call Netherlands instead....argh!:mad:

Michael Cleary 17th April 2010 08:15 AM

A friend of mine is in Barcelona right now, due to leave on SQ377 on Saturday. The opposite flight - SQ378 - is en-route (left an hour late), but stops at Milan on the way - and in the last 30 minutes Sky News is saying that Northern Italy is now closed - though Eurocontrol is silent on that at present, as is SQ.

Depending on how the day progresses, he might be looking at extending his stay in Spain.

Matt_L 17th April 2010 09:34 AM

Although not ideal circumstances- Wouldn't mind being stuck in Barcelona:) One of the most exceptional cities to visit in europe IMHO.

Maikha Ly 17th April 2010 10:11 AM

Hear hear!

I'd hate to begin to imagine the economic impact this airspace closure is having on the UK and the rest of Europe. Know a few people who are heading to the UK soon, and thought the British Airways strike was the thing to worry about!

NeilP 17th April 2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_L (Post 45471)
Although not ideal circumstances- Wouldn't mind being stuck in Barcelona:) One of the most exceptional cities to visit in europe IMHO.

As a spotter, I wouldn't mind being stuck in one of those busy European Airports with all the aircraft standing still!

Nigel C 17th April 2010 10:23 AM

Go to Mojave Desert if you want lots of aircraft standing still...

Michael Cleary 17th April 2010 11:06 AM

Now ENAC (Italian CAA) have closed Northern Italian Airspace up to 35000ft from 0800 to 1400 today - though given that is in the future who knows what might happen.

SQ378 is showing an ETA of 0728 in Milan - so if it gets in, it will no doubt stay there for a while.

Meanwhile, the Railways in affected areas are no doubt enjoying 100% occupancy as well as ferries to and from the UK.

Jason H 17th April 2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Meanwhile, the Railways in affected areas are no doubt enjoying 100% occupancy as well as ferries to and from the UK.
Let's not forget the hotels! :D

SteveW 17th April 2010 11:15 AM

Well, they got through finally to Emirates and have been told it will be May 1 *at the earliest* they fly back. But, that's only a guess as they can't actually book anything until Monday morning.

They were also told they could ring up every day and keep checking for a seat, but it could end up being later.

Makes it a nightmare for my nieces schooling and also the adults loss of work / money.

I checked Qantas' website this morning and they have heaps of info on what flights got cancelled etc. and it states they 'will try to contact all affected customers'. Emirates website on the other hand still doesn't show the flights as cancelled and we were allowed to check-in online for both sectors without any warning. Thankfully, I only live 20 minutes drive from BNE, but imagine the poor buggers who drove for an hour or two having checked out of a hotel...

Anthony T 17th April 2010 12:20 PM

Can't Emirates get them as far as somwhere like Athens or Vienna?

If so your family could hire a car or maybe take the train onwards from there.

Just a thought.

Anthony T