Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Qantas Shutdown (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=7499)

Andi O 29th October 2011 04:16 PM

Qantas Shutdown

Alan Joyce has just held a press conference announcing the lock out of some Qantas staff and has shutdown the airline effective immediately.

Sarah C 29th October 2011 04:21 PM

Stunned.......Virgin must think Christmas has come early. Ball is now back in the unions court. Government has to become involved now.

Darren T. 29th October 2011 04:22 PM

This is huge.

This will live in History.

Jarden S 29th October 2011 04:25 PM

Wow that's a major change in events.
AJ also said in today's courier mail that the airline could loose 17,000 jobs within a year if the industrial action continues.

Grant Smith 29th October 2011 04:37 PM

A day after his pay rise was approved by the shareholders... Coincidence?

John Arena 29th October 2011 04:40 PM

All employees covered under the Unions have been 'locked out' according to the press conference

John

Grahame Hutchison 29th October 2011 04:41 PM

From Australian Business Traveller ...

Quote:

Qantas has cancelled every single worldwide Qantas-operated flight immediately, until further notice, with the airline advising that "customers booked on Qantas flights should not go to the airport until further notice".
The airline is locking out all its unionised workforce: pilots, engineers, baggage handlers, ground staff and catering staff -- which means that it simply can't fly.
In a press conference today at Qantas' Sydney headquarters, CEO Alan Joyce announced that there will be "no further Qantas domestic departures or international departures anywhere in the world".
Aircraft currently in the sky will land as planned.
"Jetstar flights, QantasLink flights and Qantas flights across the Tasman operated by Jetconnect will continue," an airline statement said.
Qantas is requesting that only passengers within the next 24 hours call its contact centres: 13 13 13 from within Australia.
The airline says: "A full refund will be available to any customer who chooses to cancel their flight because it has been directly affected by the grounding of the fleet. Full rebooking flexibility will be available to customers who wish to defer their travel."
"Assistance with accommodation and alternative flights, as well as other support, will be offered to customers who are mid-journey."

Carsten Bauer 29th October 2011 04:50 PM

I couldn't believe this when I heard on the radio "Qantas cancelling flights" I thought it was the usual news we've been hearing all week, but then I checked my twitter, and saw qantas announce all flights grounded. Thought it was a joke at first.

Andrew M 29th October 2011 04:51 PM

Disgusting Alan
Disgusting

Joe Frampton 29th October 2011 04:52 PM

I work in the travel industry... (major gulp for the work ahead in the next few days).....

You have to say, this is truly historical, Qantas will either come out of this as the winner, with the unions crushed, or it's game over for Qantas as we know it in it's current form.... either way if you're travelling or planning to travel on Qantas in the immediate future, you're well and truly ****ed

and who thought it could only happen to Tiger :eek:

Andrew P 29th October 2011 04:56 PM

imho, a very wise move, now Gillard MUST get involved and send all to arbitration

i understand security of employment/staffing levels cannot be referred by the gov't to arbitration, so in end union loses, which is the proper resolution

Andrew M 29th October 2011 05:02 PM

I don't see the unions just backing down (at least for 24 hours)

Joe Frampton 29th October 2011 05:05 PM

crunch...... country grinds to a halt

in so many ways we don't even realise

Raymond Rowe 29th October 2011 05:05 PM

Joyce has done what he was put in to do.Make jetstar the major company and close down Qantas.

Stephen Brown 29th October 2011 05:06 PM

The man is way out of his depth. Handling negotiation like confrontation.

Then again he just getting what he wants. Destroying Qantas and a Australian Icon. It's like a foreign boss coming in and wanting to turn Vegemite Blue.

Unbelievable.

Andrew M 29th October 2011 05:08 PM

It's Xmas early for Joyce

Pay rise - Check
Giving Qantas a further bad name - Check
Jetstar flights full - Check
Virgin flights full - Check

Now if only he could get 40 x A320's up and running overnight for Jetstar and he'd be laughing

damien b 29th October 2011 05:19 PM

Not that surprising really - its the 98 water front dispute all over again but this time it looks like the government isn't involved. Certainly a game changer and a brave move. Federal Government will need to get invovled now. Hate to be a QANTAS worker or passenger right now.

John Arena 29th October 2011 05:21 PM

if only my Christmas present came early

- Get rid of Joyce
- Rebuild QFA to its former glory
- 787's to Qantas

John

Andrew M 29th October 2011 05:24 PM

John - Indeed

Virgin Australia fares have gone through the roof!!!!!!!

Jaryd stock 29th October 2011 05:30 PM

Is the freight that comes into Sydney via SQ/MH/EK/CPA and so on handled by Qantas ground crews? If so are they also locked out...

Alexander.L 29th October 2011 05:32 PM

Is it cheaper to shut down then run with strikes?

Anthony T 29th October 2011 05:33 PM

On the spotting side of things, expect to see some new liveries on the domestic scene, if this isn't resolved by monday morning.

Virgin are calling on Etihad, Delta & NZ to be ready to send aircraft if required.

Although it is likely that Etihad will do the VA Abu Dhabi run, and Delta all of the trans pac V Australia flights with NZ doing as much of PB's tasman stuff as they can.

This will release the 777's and PB 737's for domestic work.

Also it is the start of the NW schedules so plenty of spare capacity available from Europe as well.

Nigel C 29th October 2011 05:38 PM

It may release the B777's for domestic work, but I'm not sure there are remote domestic bays available for passenger bussing operations for a B777. Happy to be corrected.

Without knowing any of the ins and outs of the average Qantas worker's current employment conditions, were they really being screwed over by Qantas management in the lead up to this dispute, or are they being unreasonable in what they're asking for? Were things really that bad for the average worker when it appears there are plenty of others seemingly happy with their employment in other ground handling companies (obviously I'm leaving the pilots out of this one)?

Surely it's time for a bit of give and take on both sides before everyone loses everything.

Montague S 29th October 2011 05:47 PM

have to be the dumbest CEO in Australia.

Kirk C 29th October 2011 05:48 PM

TWU - Disrupting Australia

Alexander.L 29th October 2011 05:49 PM

I think the board told AJ to do it for a 71% payrise. The board is the directing, AJ is just the PR man.

Adam P.... 29th October 2011 05:55 PM

Any likelihood of the SYD curfew getting lifted in response to this?? Would seem crazy not to imo.

Jaryd stock 29th October 2011 06:01 PM

Curfew won't be lifted.

There are two brand new KC-30's sitting up at Amberly these could be put to good use...

David C 29th October 2011 06:10 PM

Fortunate that I'm leaving LHR tonight on another carrier , but there again QF were never in the original equation anyway ... wonder why ?.

Dave C

Ricky T 29th October 2011 06:27 PM

I have a flight with them Monday morning. Fingers crossed.

Stuart Trevena 29th October 2011 06:36 PM

Hi All,

Any chances of seeing Virgin Atlantic doing ops to/from YMML to assist?

Stuart

James S. 29th October 2011 07:06 PM

Can they seriously get rid of the bloody idiot and get someone who can actually run an airline AKA do a Continental/Gordon Bethune.

Nigel C 29th October 2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam P.... (Post 66734)
Any likelihood of the SYD curfew getting lifted in response to this?? Would seem crazy not to imo.

What would be the benefit in that? There's less than half the flights in the air without Qantas flying.

Brad Varney 29th October 2011 07:23 PM

If they had to, who would fire the CEO?

the shareholders?

Scott L. 29th October 2011 07:38 PM

I am just reading the material provided by Qantas at http://www.keepqantasflying.com.au/.

The demands seem to me to be a usual starting point for negotiations from a Union. Where are the current negotations at? Does anyone know?

Qantas are either not negotiating or the unions are not compromising. Either way, can't both sides see the futility of protracted action. The reputational damage and the loss of current patronage is surely damaging both parties.

It reeks of hypocrisy that the CEO gets a nice pay rise but theres' a lock out on anyone else?

Cam L 29th October 2011 07:40 PM

What a sad day.

Does anyone know if VA will up their prices???

Andrew M 29th October 2011 07:49 PM

Prices go up with supply and demand...

As there is now a serious lack of supply and a huge demand prices will go up!

Qantas will be flying again soon though

Montague S 29th October 2011 07:53 PM

And Joyce has the cheek to talk about the cost to the carrier, what about the fact that te airline now has to accommodate a few thousand people around the globe?

Jack Melon 29th October 2011 09:04 PM

Meh, knew this was going to happen eventually. For those who are saying, virgin fares going up, well duh, the flights are packed, so they go up!

Bye Bye Qantas.

Michael Cleary 29th October 2011 09:18 PM

Just had a look at Virgin flights SYD-MEL and return on Monday 31/10 and the cheapest is $303.50 ,so Virgin will be doing well and 100% loads no doubt.