Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jetstar accused of compromising security (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=2803)

Greg McDonald 26th March 2009 03:40 PM

Jetstar accused of compromising security

Quote:

A DECISION by Jetstar to outsource baggage handlers and check-in staff at three Australian airports will compromise security, a union claims.
The Transport Workers' Union (TWU) says any compromise of security is particularly concerning in light of the bashing death of a man at Sydney airport on Sunday in an alleged bikie gang brawl.

Jetstar announced this week new private contracts for ground staff in Launceston, Hobart and Sydney International – costing 18 jobs in Tasmania.

The positions were previously held by a combination of staff employed by Jetstar and the company's parent company Qantas.

TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon said 25 per cent of outsourced airport employees did not have ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) clearance, putting staff and passengers at risk.

”Quite clearly we've got a situation now where we've got companies like Qantas - they're going to add to security weaknesses at our airports just at a time when the flaws of the airport have been demonstrated only three days ago.”

Jetstar rejects the claim.

Spokesman Simon Westaway said anyone working back of house at an airport was required to have the highest ASIO clearance regardless of whether they were casual or a contractor employee.

”Any organisation that's operating air-side has to have people that are appropriately checked,” he said.

Greg McDonald 26th March 2009 03:51 PM

Half the articles I've read on this are saying that Qantas is outsourcing their baggage handlers TO Jetstar and the rest are saying that Jetstar is outsourcing their baggage handlers to an unnamed 'other' company. Whats the real story here??

Greg F 26th March 2009 04:56 PM

Basically what i make of it is...

JETSTAR

SYD International was, JQ/QF => Now Aerocare (maybe baggage side only?? unsure)
HBA Domestic was JQ/QF => Now AirTrade
LST Domestic was QF => Now AirTrade

It is NO different to DJ & TT using Aerocare or Similar, its a cost cutting measure and its ridiculous for the media/unions to come up with this 'security' crap!

My Father is tangled in this as he is (was) a PSM @ HBA for JetStar

Marty H 26th March 2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew (Post 25098)
What a load of typical union trash! Any person that works airside or must go airside at any time during their duties anywhere is Australia must have an ASIC...

Exactly right. Unions blowing 'hot air' once again:mad:

Sarah C 26th March 2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty H (Post 25104)
Exactly right. Unions blowing 'hot air' once again:mad:

The unions haven't had anything to complain about since the engineers strike - they were missing the media attention.

Remember: don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Raymond Rowe 26th March 2009 07:40 PM

You all bag the unions but you would not have the conditions today if it was not for them.

Torin Wilson 26th March 2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe (Post 25112)
You all bag the unions but you would not have the conditions today if it was not for them.

Or a failed Ansett....

NickN 27th March 2009 07:30 PM

Raymond I think the unions have had their time in the sun. Apart from some small areas of industry which still seem to function effectively under union control the majority of unions are becoming increasingly redundant over time.

From personal experience having worked for TNT which was heavily union oriented, I found the union involvement there to be more of a bother than a help.

I understand your a union fan and I am not trying to start a who is right and who is wrong affair, just putting forward my individual view.

Everyone aiside had to meet the same criteria to be allowed to work there so the entity under which they are employed should make no difference.

All I can say is I hope this doesn't lead to any strike action which may affect the traveling public.

Ash W 27th March 2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe (Post 25112)

Some of the crap they come out with makes you realy wonder. I mean to say linking the bikkie thing at Sydney with baggae handlers and check-in staff. I mean to say. Crap like this is what looses them credibility and when they do have something to have a real gripe over it is lost in the wash. Shooting themselves in the foot I reckon.

Sarah C 30th March 2009 11:09 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0330-9g3v.html

Well they followed through with thier "meeting" this morning and at the moment the airport is in meltdown.

There are aircraft everywhere right now. They are lined up on the taxiway for 34L to go to the gate - I think the Korean 747 and the China Eastern A330 have been there for an hour.........they haven't moved. I feel sorry for anyone travelling today.

Peter Agatsiotis 30th March 2009 02:47 PM

I got home at 3pm and thought my acars had 'frozen' as I could see Garuda and Asiana just leaving then JAL around 3.30 and QF129 just behind him.

A friend just updated me on the mess out there earlier.

Simon L. 30th March 2009 07:24 PM

It was a total mess, a friend working for an international carrier said they are now getting extremely frustrated with the worsening relationship between Qantas and its staff members/unions, especially when a lot of the international carriers use Qantas ground services as their GHA in Australia and a lot of them also have SPAs with Qantas so that heaps of their connecting passengers are actually booked on Qantas for domestic add-on sectors.

Greg F 30th March 2009 07:49 PM

Well I personally think its about time QF actually looked after their staff and gave a ***** about them!!
Dad and the HBA crew have been completely screwed over by the QF group!
I know first hand that the HBA crew were a close nit group with an extremely low staff turnover.
My father PSM gave his role 150% and often did rostering and stuff at home, worked 12hr + days.
90% of the crew at HBA have been with JQ since it Launched.
TO have the rug yanked out from under them was very saddening, and to make matters worse they were aware of the 'tendering' for about 8 weeks before it happened and the announcement was put off and put off....

A simple motto, Look after your staff, your staff look after the customers, the customers look after the business/shareholders.........

Onya Jetstar / The spirit of Australia........ hmmmmmmm.:mad:

Nigel C 30th March 2009 08:58 PM

When the world's economy is as fragile as it is right now, you'd think the Unions would be keen on keeping as many jobs for their members as possible and keeping their heads out of the spotlight.

Instead they encourage industrial action which achieves nothing but waving a red flag in front of a wounded bull (Qantas management) and puts them in the spotlight for the next time Qantas feel the need to look at their business model.

Unfortunately the rank and file go along with this crap, probably go without pay during the strike action and, whether they like it or not, contribute to the next round of their own staff cuts.

I bet Tony Sheldon hasn't gone a day without pay while the industrial action goes on........

:rolleyes:

Marty H 30th March 2009 09:24 PM

Ive said it before unions are a pile of crap. It does nothing for the Qantas workers cause going out on strike and as you say it will make QF management more determined to out source work to contractors, wont bother them, reduces their costs, no staff benefits to cover etc.

When it comes to EBA negotions these days the company (can be any company) 'says jump and the unions say how high'

Nigel C 30th March 2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty H (Post 25397)
Ive said it before unions are a pile of crap.

Unions have their place, and there should always be a place for them to help protect the 'little man'.
In the right environment, unions can be a useful resource, but unfortunately there are some union heavies who are there for nothing more than a springboard into the political arena and quite frankly couldn't care less about the rank and file. The current Federal Government ranks show this quite nicely...

Sarah C 31st March 2009 05:34 AM

Well said Andrew. I will keep my comments brief but:

- The strike yesterday was illegal. The airline isn't going to negotiate with unions who take illegal action.

- The reason they were striking was a joke. As Andrew mentioned, Aerocare provide services to other airlines like Virgin Blue. If the unions claims were correct, why didn't DJ staff join them?

- The Qantas spokesmen said that if you don't have an ASIC clearance, you don't go airside, simple as that. As least the engineers had a correct reason to strike last year.

- People are losing thier jobs everyday. As Andrew mentioned, 90 of them last week. Unfortunately it is part of business with the current conditions and business has to make tough choices.

Greg F 31st March 2009 07:47 AM

Thanks for the Replies guys.

I am not 100% familiar with DJ's st up, but have they ever had their 'own' ground staff or have they always used Aero-Care?

Marty H 31st March 2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg F (Post 25433)
Thanks for the Replies guys.

I am not 100% familiar with DJ's st up, but have they ever had their 'own' ground staff or have they always used Aero-Care?

Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide are the ports where ground staff are directly employed by DJ, all other ports are contract companies such as Aerocare and Oceania.

David McNeil 31st March 2009 05:24 PM

Carriers operating into Sydney who are handled by QF wouldnt be to happy with this disruption to their schedule and pax. It would be interesting to know if they would be demanding some form of financial compensation due to these heavily delayed departures.

This act simply gives the airlines currently handled by QF in SYD more weight to follow JQ and change service provider away from QF and to Menzies or Aero-Care so they don't have to worry about future industrial action QF is well known for.

This one event probably wouldnt be enough for these carriers to change ground handling arrangement but it did happened last year with the engineers strike and with QF Ramp a couple of months ago in MEL and it all adds up.

They may well have just shot themselves in the foot!

Craig Lindsay 12th April 2009 07:46 PM

As the old saying goes
I dont give a damn,im a union man