Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aviation interests in Melbourne (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=7002)

Maikha Ly 22nd June 2011 09:48 AM

Aviation interests in Melbourne

G'day folks

I'll be heading down that way this weekend, and would like to know if anyone could suggest museums and the like that would be of interest. I also intend to spend next Monday spotting and photographing at YMML, if there's a list of good spots one could photograph from.

At the moment, the following are on the agenda:

-Point Cook Museum
-Spotting at YMML (And Essendon? Is there much to see there?)
-On the waiting list for Sunday's DC-3 flight to King Island... fingers crossed!
-A brief visit to the TAA Museum
-Australian National Aviation Museum, Moorabbin (While I'm there, stock up on some supplies at the pilot shop!)
-Airways Museum, Essendon

Apart from that, look forward to it. Thanks for any assistance provided! :)

Paul f. 22nd June 2011 10:03 AM

Maikha, At Essendon there is a lot to see if you havent been before,maybe not too many bizjets as they in the hangers on the weekend but plenty of Kingairs,Sharp Airlines Metros,and 3 DC-3,s and then all the light stuff. As for the Airways Museum at Essendon i think its not open on weekends only Tuesdays,i hope this helps.

Jeroen Oude Wolbers 22nd June 2011 11:06 AM

About YMML:

http://www.rwy34.com/spotting/ for spotting and photography spots...

cheers Jeroen

Rob C 22nd June 2011 06:41 PM

Hey Maikha, you pretty much have it down pat... Both the TAA Museum and the Aviation museum in Moorabbin are well worth it. Make sure you give the guys at the TAA a nice donation as the don't charge for entry.

Brad Varney 23rd June 2011 08:51 PM

Hi I have a Question,
On the 28th (this Tuesday) will there be any Singapore 747-400's coming in?
if so what time?
also does YMML get any international traffic that Sydney doesn't get?
are there any rare planes coming in on the 28th?
I am flying to Melbourne this Saturday and going back to syd on Tuesday.
I'm absolutely desperate to get a shot of an sq 7474
thanks

Stefan Perkas 23rd June 2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Varney (Post 61933)
Hi I have a Question,
if so what time?
thanks

There should be an SQ B744 on the 28th. Looking at their schedule there is one. It will arrive at on SQ237 which arrives around 1000, then will depart as SQ228 at 1530-1600.

There are only 4 airlines (from memeory, there could be more, they are thr 3 noteable to me) which MEL get different to Sydney. They Air Asia X, Royal brunei, Strategic and Qatar.

Qatar is a night flight arrives at 2100-2200ish, departs at midnight

Royal Brunei are Wednesday and Saturday mornings. using B772's. Plus a couple of evening services as well. Which are similar timings to Qatar

Air Asia X are daily using A333's. They operate in daylight hours. Arriving at 0820 and departing around 0935

Strategic operate twice weekly to/from Phuket. They arrive Monday morning at 0750, Will depart at 1005 Tuesday morning. This is their A332 VH-SSA

Hope that helps...

Paul f. 23rd June 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Varney (Post 61933)
Hi I have a Question,
if so what time?
thanks

There is an SQ 744 daily into MEL on SQ237 945AM arr and out on SQ237 at 1545. As for what airlines MEL get over SYD there is Air Asia A330,s,Qatar 772LR,S,Air Mauritius A340,s and Shanghai Airlines 763,s operating for China Eastern, and Royal Brunei 772,s thats all i can think of.

matthew mcdonald 23rd June 2011 09:44 PM

Almost correct paul the Air Mauritius one actually flys Mauritius-Melbourne-Sydney-Melbourne-Mauritius.....arriving in Sydney on Tuesday afternoons and departing Sydney Wednesday mornings.

Thanks

Brad Varney 23rd June 2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul f. (Post 61935)
There is an SQ 744 daily into MEL on SQ237 945AM arr and out on SQ237 at 1545. As for what airlines MEL get over SYD there is Air Asia A330,s,Qatar 772LR,S,Air Mauritius A340,s and Shanghai Airlines 763,s operating for China Eastern, and Royal Brunei 772,s thats all i can think of.

Thanks a lot.
My flights at 10:30am, is the observation deck still closed, I might just be able to get a quick shot.
How long would it take to walk from domestic t to international?
thanks

Owen H 24th June 2011 02:12 AM

The observation deck is indeed still closed.

The two terminals are connected, and you can walk between the two on the departures level, or by a short deviation outside on the arrivals level. No more than 3 minutes walk depending on which end of the terminal you start from.