Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Australia and New Zealand Industry (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sydney Airport closing Runway 07/25 (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=12184)

Chris Z 29th April 2020 04:41 PM

Sydney Airport closing Runway 07/25

As an airline pilot, i came across some photos online that they are parking jets on 07/25 and that it’s notamed closed for some time.

So what happens when the winter westerlies hit with 40 kt plus winds?

Can someone explain WHY 16L/34R was not designated the next car park for jets, and associated taxiways, thus giving ATC and pilots 4 credible landing and take off directions instead of just 2 now?!

Todd Hendry 29th April 2020 07:38 PM

Sea spray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Z (Post 109719)
As an airline pilot, i came across some photos online that they are parking jets on 07/25 and that it’s notamed closed for some time.

Can someone explain WHY 16L/34R was not designated the next car park for jets, and associated taxiways, thus giving ATC and pilots 4 credible landing and take off directions instead of just 2 now?!

My sources say sea spray causing corrosion etc.

Sean L 29th April 2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Z (Post 109719)

The 2 other runways are surrounded by water and moisture is the one thing you don't need when storing aircraft long term. There is a reason why most long term aircraft storage facilities are located in the desert. And with the low number of movements, 16L/34R should be able to handle the movements during westerly winds. If the wind is really bad, the aircraft can just be diverted.

Sean L 29th April 2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean L (Post 109721)
The 2 other runways are surrounded by water and moisture is the one thing you don't need when storing aircraft long term. There is a reason why most long term aircraft storage facilities are located in the desert. And with the low number of movements, 16L/34R should be able to handle the movements during westerly winds. If the wind is really bad, the aircraft can just be diverted.

I've also heard that the westerly winds come in August - October and 07/25 is only closed till 21/7/2020.

Brenden S 3rd May 2020 08:44 AM

The whole airport is surrounded by sea spray. Corrosion will happen where ever the aircraft are parked.