Sydney Airport Message Board

Sydney Airport Message Board (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/index.php)
-   Spotting and Movements (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Federal Election (http://www.yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=12023)

Greg Hyde 3rd May 2019 10:26 AM

Federal Election

Which aircraft has been chartered to cart around the pollies and press.

Alliance F70's have been leased in the chartered in the past.

Also is the PM using the new Falcon which arrived recently ?

Neil L 3rd May 2019 12:39 PM

Both leaders have a BBJ and followed by two Alliance F-70's for the press as all seen in Launceston yesterday

Andrew P 4th May 2019 10:51 AM

I understood they had turned off the transponders so the planes would not show up on Flightradar24, so the journalists could not see where the planes were being flown and thus couldn't get a camera crew there in advance and also insufficient time to organize any protests.

James Smith 4th May 2019 11:37 AM

I looked up all the Fokker 70s in the Alliance fleet on Flightaware and two are listed as, "Not available for public tracking." It looks as though these are the press chartered jets which are following the two leaders. Am I able to list the F70s registration numbers here?

I'm not sure if the transponders are fully turned off as they would be needed for ATC but the tracking sites must be able to blank certain aircraft from appearing, via Mode Charlie perhaps? I imagine the same occurs with certain military and government VIP aircraft such as the BBJs.

Greg Hyde 4th May 2019 03:25 PM

Which were the two F70's ?

When the press are "bused" around the same thing happens. Bus leaves at a specific time, be onboard. No info is given regarding destination.

James Smith 4th May 2019 03:51 PM

The two F70s are JFE and QQX. Flightradar has the tracking of both aircraft on its site however, showing both aircraft in Launceston on 2 May.

Nigel C 4th May 2019 03:58 PM

Bill Shorten has A36-002, and this aircraft has carried the election winner for the past 2 elections.
Scott Morrison is in A36-001.

I understand Challenger VH-SCR has also been used for some press movements, although not full time like the Fokkers.

Greg Hyde 4th May 2019 10:22 PM

Thanks

JFB/JFE were used in the last two elections

Radi K 6th May 2019 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hyde (Post 107629)
Also is the PM using the new Falcon which arrived recently ?

No. The Falcon is still doing training flights.

Mick F 8th May 2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew P (Post 107633)
I understood they had turned off the transponders so the planes would not show up on Flightradar24, so the journalists could not see where the planes were being flown and thus couldn't get a camera crew there in advance and also insufficient time to organize any protests.

Transponders would not be turned off. Flight Radar would just not be showing the aircraft.