Thread: Photo Database
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2010, 02:48 PM

As promised, here are some screenshots from my database. I have to say, while FileMaker is really versatile, it does make for a very steep learning curve. However, the forums they offer are really friendly and useful, so if you have any questions, no matter how stupid they may seem, you can always ask there!

Some basic features include a homepage with a constantly changing collection of random photos and random 'top rated' photos, the ability to search by any criteria (registration, aircraft manufacturer/make/model, airline, airport, country, date etc), auto-fill of aircraft and airport information (i.e. you enter the registration or airport code, and it looks up the remaining information from an inbuilt database). The main drawback is that the aircraft and airport database need to be manually created (I haven't been able to work out a way for it to look up internet-based resources). However, generating that database isn't too time-consuming with the use of the Jet Photos census - the information can be copied and pasted directly into excel for the relevant airlines of interest.

Adding new aircraft to the database isn't too time consuming, as the program will remember the last entered data - this means that if you have several photos from YSSY, you don't need to continually tell the software it was taken at YSSY until you need to change the airport. Also, any mistakes are easily correctable.

PM me if you are interested and I'll see if I can transfer it to PC and set it up to match your file organisation (I simply maintain the filename from the camera, with folders for each date, and add the suffix "_mod" if I've edited it - all the other information is stored in the database).

Homepage with useful links, and the random photos

Search results page for VH-OEJ

"View Photo" page for VH-OEJ