View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:43 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Seoul - Sydney Korean Air 21/11/2012

Apologies in advance for the low quality images - the iPad2 camera is not so good in poor light.

I was unsure of the traffic conditions out to the airport, so I decided to depart the Hotel at 1500 for the flight departing at 1915. It can take up to two and a half hours from the city to the airport, depending one the traffic. As it turned out, the traffic was ok once we got out of the city area, and I was checked-in by 1700.

My driver dropped me off right at the Korean check-in entry door, and I was able to use the First Class desk. Security was the traditional bag scan and personal scan, and the customs lines were quite fast moving. No documentation neded to be completed, you just presented your Passport and Boarding Pass. This is a fairlynew terminal, not sure when it was built.

As you walk out from customs, you enter a long concourse of duty free shops, and the Korean Lounge is upstairs at Gate 11, looking directly down on the Gates and apron.

Gate lounge directions

The Korean A380 HL7615 was parked at Gate 10, I think this is number three in their fleet. The lounge is quite comfortable, with a range of seating options, open areas, private booths of four seats, and workstation benches looking down on the apron, or duty free shopping. Free high speed WiFi is available.

The entry to the Korean Lounge

The front of the Korean Lounge looking down on the apron.

The food and beverage area is in a walk behind partition, and has a good selection, including a number of packaged noodle varieties that just need hot water. The real surprise was in the Bathroom, where there was a remote control on the wall for the toilet. You could adjust the seat temperature up/down, and there were settings for Adults, Children, Elderly, Auto, Bidet and Spray.

1845 Boarding on time and my seat is 18K on the Upper Deck, which is configured with three rows of 2x2 forward and aft of the emergency exits. It is looking very quiet tonight, with only five passengers on the Upper Deck from 24 seats. This will be the quietest Upper Deck ride I have even had. The Cabin Crew are extremely polite, offering a drink and nuts once settled in. The FSD came upstairs and spoke to each of us individually, welcoming us on board, and giving a few flight details (9hr 31min flight duration today).

A very quite Upper Deck

1922 Menus handed out and orders taken for Dinner and Breakfast.

The weather this evening is overcast, smoggy and QNH 1018.

1933 Pushback from Gate 6 which is at the end of the long Terminal concourse which starts at Gate 6 and ends at Gate 132. On our left we have an Asiana B767, and on our right was Korean B747-400 HL7472 at Gate 7, Korean A330 at Gate 8, and the Korean A380 HL7615 at Gate 10. Our pushback was circular and through more then 180 degrees, taking us almost around to Gate 10 behind the A380. When the starboard engines started there was a massive cloud of smoke or condensation in front of the engines.

1943 It was a very short taxi on Golf to the Holding Point, Runway 33L.

The Captain announced that we are number five in the departure queue, expecting to roll in about 10 minutes.

1953 Rolling on Runway 33 with a takeoff roll of 49 seconds. As we climbed out we made several turns to port, finally heading back over the coastline south of Songdo and towards central South Korea.

2010 Climbing through 23,942 feet at 961kph with a 120kph Tailwind.

Fragrant hot towels were provided and tables set for dinner.

The Korean Air amenities pack.

Captain announced our arrival time in Sydney would be 0725, and flying conditions should be smooth tonight.

Our two female Cabin Crew are dressed in a traditional style, with Cream Trousers, Green Silk Blouse and a Bone Scarf tied with large bows. Their hair is in a tight bun with a large bone hairpin. While serving they wear a fitted white apron that matches the traditional look. A really beautiful looking uniform.

Dinner served

Tyrels Moon Mountain Chardonnay

Plum in Pomegranate Vinegar

Fetta Cheese, Sliced Fig and Parma Ham with Green Salad and Bread Roll.

Lentil Cream Soup which was delicious.

Grilled Beef Steak with Herb Cream Sauce served with Parmesan Potatoes, Mushrooms and Mixed Vegetables.

Comte, Chaumes and Saint Andre Cheese with Fruit and Strawberry Haagen-Dazs Icecream. The three cheeses were excellent.

Then black Coffee

Watching "Peace, Love and Misunderstanding".

The Cabin Crew are extremely polite, just a little difficulty with language, but not really a problem.

Comparing Asiana and Korean, I would definitely give Asiana the edge, the quality of the meal was a couple of steps up, and they paced the service well, where Korean seemed a little rushed (maybe this was to give passengers more time to sleep). While the Asiana A330 was new, clean and well appointed, the Korean B747-400 Upper Deck is a great cabin experience and remains my favourite. I still have a soft spot for the "Queen Of The Skies".

2050 So much for the smooth conditions, first a few sets of mild turbulence, then a couple of sets of severe turbulence, with cabin service suspended. The water was bouncing out of the glass, and even when I tried to hold the glass in my hand, the water was still splashing out.

Our track so far has been down the South Korean peninsula and overhead Saga in Japan, heading 160 degrees.

2125 Water Bottle and Mineral Water Spray provided.

2145 32,965ft 959kph with a 128km headwind and 4016 miles to run.

2232 Time now for some sleep now. The seat is firm but comfortable, but does not quite recline to a flat bed. Two pillows and a blanket allowed for a good sleep.

0454 Woke for Breakfast over northern NSW after tracking via Cairns - again there was some more turbulence during breakfast.

The main breakfast tray

Finishing breakfast with fruit.

0500 Tracking over a converging contrail slightly below.

0508 32949ft north west of Cessnock at 641kph with a 48mph headwind.

0522 Completed one orbit west of Cessnock and then a personal thank you from the CSM and Cabin Crew.

0524 West of Lake Macquarie and a slight right turn at 8000ft and 541 kph with a tailwind 29kph with 38 miles to run.

0526 A slight left turn to pick up the previous heading.

0528 Descending into cloud at 3000ft and 319kph with a 29kph tailwind.

We were out of the cloud east of the Silverwater Bridge.

0534 Now on final for Runway 16R

0536 Touchdown, vacating on Alpha 3 and taxiing via Alpha and Golf to Gate 59.

0542 Shutdown

I had 40,000 Korean Won left, so I stopped into Duty Free and used it to but some alcohol. The customs queues were quite long, with even a dozen or so ahead of me in the Priority line. Bag collection was reasonable quick, and customs directed me to the "Nothing to Declare" lane, and I walked staright through. My taxi driver was waiting in the arrivals hall, and the traffic back to the city was quite bad between 8 and 9am. I was home by 0930 and back in the office again by 1100.

A busy 5 days, sorry I missed the DMZ Tour, but Seoul was again a great experience.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 22nd November 2012 at 07:55 PM.