View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2018, 01:12 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P. View Post
I've always thought that the three metre rule applied only to stepladders
Hi James,

A preliminary read of the Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005 per F2018C00068 which governs security at Sydney Airport, doesn't appear to discuss the 3 metre rule you speak of, though the following is quoted on the Sydney Airport website:

Quote:
Any vehicle, step ladder, camera equipment or any other object that may facilitate a breach of airport security must be at least three metres from the perimeter fence at all times.
Also quoted is:

Quote:
Please obey any road or security signage while in the airport precinct and comply with the directions of Sydney Airport security staff or the Australian Federal Police.
... which it sounds like you've been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P. View Post
Just wondering if there have been any changes in policy recently for spotting at the perimeter fence?
I'd suggest there hasn't been any recent changes in 'policy' or 'policing' of the above, though perhaps with the recent arrival of the French President, visibility of AFP along the fence-line has increased thus leading to a more proactive approach of enforcing any such policy.

I wouldn't be too concerned about having your 'details on record' with the AFP. It's been a long time practice of the AFP along the fence-line to detail one's name and address into a 'system', for future reference, especially during special or military aircraft or event movements.

Perhaps during heightened security events, take your photos without lingering near the fence-line or completely away from the fence-line altogether; which will avoid drawing any unnecessary attention to yourself.

Common sense from both parties should apply.