View Single Post
Old 12th April 2008, 08:24 PM
Prolific Member

There has been some talk of fitting the vehicles with them, and indeed I believe some of the ARFF Tender are already fitted.
I understand discussions are ongoing between the relevant parties as to who will eventually be fitted and who won't, however the decision making process is happening on higher levels than the one I currently stand on!

I must say that I find it interesting that they (ASA) are saying
Quote:
A-SMGCS will enhance runway safety and is expected to lead to fewer runway incursions
I believe this will only really work if all vehicles are fitted with a VHF radio and the operator:
a) has the thing turned on
b) has the volume turned up
c) has the right frequency selected
d) actually listens to the sheer volume of radio traffic of which 99.9% of which won't be directed at him/her, and is then able to pick up and respond to the 5 second transmission that is concerning them (trust me, this is an acquired skill that isn't learnt overnight!)

What it doesn't seem to factor in is the catering vehicles, baggage tugs, engineering vehicles, Customs, AQIS, AFPPS and anyone else who doesn't have a VHF radio and shouldn't have a need to even get on the taxiway system, let alone the runway complex, who gets disorientated and accidentally ends up out there!
It can happen, and has happened in the past. No amount of screaming by the guys and gals in the tower will get their attention if they aren't listening in the first place!

If I remember about this thread when it's all resolved, I'll let you know the outcome!

Cheers
Nigel