View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Russell, what is so high about 500hrs Command??

That's the Qantas requirement. 500hrs Command can be obtained in about 8-9 months if you're employed in GA. Absolutely nothing.

Mick
I fully agree with you Michael, but I was mainly referring to the fact that airlines have minimum requirements but seem to only accept people exceeding those minimum standards by significant amounts. For example, I'm guessing that not many people with the minimum 500hrs Command (or even a couple hundred more for that matter) get accepted to often. Naturally the airlines will take anyone with more experience over someone with lesser experience, but if they are really desperate for pilots, wouldn't increasing their acceptance rate of employing people at least help fill the gap?

On another note, the QF Cadetship program doesn't guarantee employment, not even in the desperately pilot-short Qantaslink alias.

P.S. Is there any place where rough estimates of pilot pay rates in Australia can be found? Or can someone shed some light for me please? Just like to know as personal information. Cheers