View Single Post
Old 19th November 2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
What's really going to happen? Will other Airlines wait and see how it goes and then commit? (asuming this will happen in our lifetimes)

Will other Airlines commit before then?

Will other Airlines ignore it as they appear to be doing right now or does Boeing have other Airlines in the wings ready to tip over the line?
Who knows...

There's still the lingering rumour of TG having a serious look at the 748i. Now with these continued delays I think airlines will be more cautious about committig to the 748i (not that there are many airlines waiting in the wings anyway). Couple that with the short list of airlines who haven't already committed to the A380 + 787/A350 fleet strategy and again you'd have to think that any airline who is still interested in the 748i would wait till performance figures from test data comes in. I mean, it's not like delivery slots are disappearing at a fast rate like they did with the 787.

Bit sad that the last successful passenger variant of the 747 was the -400 which was launched about 20 years ago. The -400ER didn't do well, and now the -8i is struggle.

Makes you wonder though... an A380 fitted with Trent XWB engines being launched around 2012 would really relegate the 748 to a freighter. The efficiency gains over the 748i would make this aircraft more attractive even if it is 'mis-used'. Nonetheless, I have a B747-8i desktop model right here beside me, so I'm hoping for a bright future for the -8 Intercontinental.