Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th September 2012, 08:54 PM

Default Jetstar 788 Rego blocks

I don't know if this has been covered anywhere, but with the apparent arrival of the first of Jetstar's 788s during 2013, does anyone know if a block of regos have been allocated to these aircraft, and if so,what they might be?

Just curious.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13th September 2012, 09:10 PM

Hi Jim

Can't help I'm afraid but at least fifteen regos from the -XZ block were originally allocated years ago.

However, the ongoing delays with the B787s have seen the -XZ block reallocated to B737s.

Cheers

Bob
Old 13th September 2012, 09:50 PM
Prolific Member

Is there any reason they don't re-use 'old' blocks? Ones like EA* and TJ* etc, and when aircraft retire why not re-use ones like OG* etc? Even when Ansett collapsed and aircraft got sold off, there would have been whole CZ*, RM* and HY* regos available to be reserved surely?
Old 14th September 2012, 07:26 AM

A lot of them have been reused now by other aircraft. Though it would make sense if an airline could reserve rego's of retired a/c.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Hi Jim

Can't help I'm afraid but at least fifteen regos from the -XZ block were originally allocated years ago.
Thanks Bob,now that you have said that,I do remember reading that somewhere some years back.

Will be interesting to see what happens and maybe one of the old blocks from retired aircraft will be used.

Cheers
Jim
Old 14th September 2012, 10:39 AM

They wasted the VH-XZ* block.

The last 11 x new QF 738's could have taken up rego's in the blocks "VH-VXV to VH-VXZ" & "VH-VYL to VH-VYZ".

Instead it is now rather confusing.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:50 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
A lot of them have been reused now by other aircraft. Though it would make sense if an airline could reserve rego's of retired a/c.
That's kind of what I was getting at. The airlines know they'll be getting new aircraft and new aircraft types and they seem to prefer having them all in the one rego block, so it seems silly that they'd let regos go to the unwashed masses just because they've retired that particular aircraft.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:54 AM

The only 'problem' (not that it should be with a good fleet planner looking after such things) but would a block of rego's, make it easier to identify particular models doing specific routes etc, rather than having individual models mixed up somewhere etc? i.e. Say a block of B738 regos, and one gets retired but a B788 takes that rego, may make it difficult for a fleet planner to simply get an aircraft wrong based on its rego...

If you know what I mean...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 14th September 2012, 06:13 PM

Both Qantas and Virgin have different registrations for their 737 fleet for a variety of reasons. Being Intl/over water configured, engine thrust rating, different flaps like on the VZ series etc. That is why the different rego blocks are used. The other limiting factor is that CASA will not reserve a rego unless you have an aircraft already purchased and has a c/n. It is on the CASA website, or at least used to be.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:25 PM

Having different regos doesn't matter to Virgin as the latest -FE models are spread all over the place.

And I think the list of available regos is running out so airlines need to grab what they can.

Perhaps the time has come to rethink the whole registration process as has been discussed here and elsewhere previously.