Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd May 2010, 08:22 PM

Default QF 744 rows 70+

My brother is flying to JNB in 2 weeks in seat 71A (right at the back of economy where there are only 2 seats across). I was just wondering if anyone had any info on these last few rows of the Qantas 747s, ie A/B and J/K regarding overall experience/leg room/privacy compared to regular economy seats in the cabin.

Many thanks
Old 24th May 2010, 12:15 AM

Jason, these seats are a tad polarising and definately have their positives and negatives, so it's a question for your friend of their priorities - it is a long flight.

Obviously, the two-abreast layout makes it easier to access the aisle from the window which is the key benefit, alongside a bit of extra overhead storage (theoretically...) by virtue of fewer competing pax in those last few rows.

However due to the curvature of the fuselage, there is a much larger gap between the window seats and the cabin wall, which makes it virtually impossible to lean against. Also, there are some dual airbridges at Terminal A, thankfully speeding up disembarkation for passengers in the rearmost Y cabin which is otherwise painfully slow. JNB also use stand-off bays I'm unsure whether deboarding through L5 is conducted, so that might not necessarily help.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:02 AM

problem with very back seats is that it gets very cold, it seems, in the rear of the plane, as maybe all cold air flows to the back,
Old 24th May 2010, 12:20 PM

Nick summed it up.

In terms of the gap between you and the window, the very last row is obviously the best one (and you don't need to worry about upsetting the person behind you by reclining). It depends - if you like the window purely to lean against the wall, then probably they should be avoided. However, in a 747, only 2 people in 10 have access to the wall anyway so if you can sleep well in an aisle seat, it would be very similar.

I still think the extra space to your left/right is actually handy, because you can put a small bag, pillow or blanket next to you without having to use all your leg room.
Old 24th May 2010, 01:18 PM

Having been in this seat, and similar on a 777, I find the gap similar, to slightly smaller than that on the lower deck of the A380. I have no issues about the gap, as I always have stuff I can stuff into a pillow case, which gives me a nice BIG pillow!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 25th May 2010, 07:25 PM

thanks for the replies