Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2009, 07:14 PM

Post Shep's Mound was busy today

Lots of kids and a guy in a green Ford with a new Sony camera and lens (or at least with the original box on his front passenger seat!).

The air ambulance was busy today - twice in two hours seems busy to me anyway.

And although there was an accident on General Holmes Drive just east of the tunnel, that's not where the fire engine was headed.

Didn't get a shot of the Airside Tours bus but it went further south than I've seen it go previously.

Last edited by Philip Argy; 15th March 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 15th March 2009, 07:57 PM
Prolific Member

The tour bus went to the 3rd runway?
Old 16th March 2009, 07:49 PM

I was at the beach just before midday & saw the fire truck & two sweepers working on the taxiway. After they departed every aircraft that taxied up there threw up quite a lot of dust. I am guessing there was some fluid that needed cleaning up.
Old 16th March 2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
I was at the beach just before midday & saw the fire truck & two sweepers working on the taxiway. After they departed every aircraft that taxied up there threw up quite a lot of dust. I am guessing there was some fluid that needed cleaning up.
And Car 21 spent some time inspecting 07 west of 16R - not sure if there was any connection with the taxiway cleanup.
Old 17th March 2009, 05:47 AM
Prolific Member

There is currently a taxiway resheet happening on Twy Alpha south of Rwy 07/25. The dust was from where they have profiled in preparation for the new asphalt in the coming nights. The sweepers were probably there clean up what they could.

Car 21 is the airfield standards manager. At a guess, he was most likely looking at the Rwy 25 RESA works and looking at what needs to be done prior to the June 15 handback of the runway.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:34 AM

I was down there that day.

I was over near the fence in the Red Golf trying out my new Uniden scanner, Eating Macca's and had the big L series Canon lens out taking snaps.

Actually i arrived as the QF A380 rotated. Not sure if you were still there
Old 17th March 2009, 10:58 AM

Smile

You'd have noticed if I was still there - I was atop the mound in front of my white Prado with my old faithful Uniden Bearcat UBT9000XLT scanner on the bonnet with the volume up high monitoring director, 16R departure and ground frequencies.

Not sure how your new scanner performed but I use a quarter wave magnetic mount UHF aerial to attenuate the signals as the squelch can't block out strong ones like 126.1 which inhibit multi-frequency scanning which otherwise resumes when there is no voice transmission on a monitored frequency.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:52 PM

In your opinion, (or anyone else's)which day is better to check out the mound, Saturdays or Sundays generally speaking?
Old 17th March 2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
You'd have noticed if I was still there - I was atop the mound in front of my white Prado with my old faithful Uniden Bearcat UBT9000XLT scanner on the bonnet with the volume up high monitoring director, 16R departure and ground frequencies.

Not sure how your new scanner performed but I use a quarter wave magnetic mount UHF aerial to attenuate the signals as the squelch can't block out strong ones like 126.1 which inhibit multi-frequency scanning which otherwise resumes when there is no voice transmission on a monitored frequency.
I just bought a simple little Uniden Bearcat 73XLT from Dick Smith for ~$200.
I stupidly didnt write down or remembered the main freq's used, but i do remember 126.1 from Flight Sim!

The new Close Call capture technology managed to nab all the frequencies though. Quite a clever bit of Tech in that.

I think i need a better quality aerial. I am not too impressed with the quality and strength of the signal i was getting when i was basically on the front steps of the tower I was using the 9V car adapter so power wasnt an issue.

I think you left as i arrived. I do remember a FWD up there, and do recall think how easy it would be to get your vehicle up and down the mount, but on the wrong day with the wrong weather, my golf would be toast

I plan to post a couple of pics from the day later on tonight

Last edited by Mike S; 17th March 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 17th March 2009, 01:11 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
In your opinion, (or anyone else's)which day is better to check out the mound, Saturdays or Sundays generally speaking?
Both days are ok for movements.