Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2010, 07:31 PM

Question Scanners

Hey guys,

just wondering if any of you know anywhere in the city i can pick up a scanner from for less than 200 dollars?

cheers,

Ian Irwin
Old 7th April 2010, 07:38 PM

Why is that an issue though? the scan doesnt take that long does it?
And thanks for the DSE heads up but i was looking for somewhere maybe a little cheaper.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:28 PM

G'Day, Try Andrews Communications. They have a good range, most of which are well above the budget. Of those less than $200 I'll make the following comments

Alinco DJ-X3E - Having owned an older model Alinco many years ago, I'd be inclined to avoid this one even though it does have a pretty good "on paper" spec.

Uniden UBC73XLT - Good general purpose scanner. Currently use the 200 channel 'brother' of this radio as my backup handheld. Chris, it sounds as if you may have a faulty unit,as you should be able to directly enter a frequency ??

UNIDEN UBC-330CRS - This is probably not what you are after being a base unit, but it is an excellent unit for the price.

The Maycom unit is quite good too, although it is much more limited in frequency range, is slightly more difficult to program, and from my experience at least, is less sensitive than the uniden units. They do work well at the airport though. They also have a different antenna connector so if you want to use other antennas / external antennas you will need an adaptor.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-07.htm

Steve
Old 7th April 2010, 10:31 PM

Steve how much is the Uniden UBC-300CRS?
Old 7th April 2010, 10:48 PM

$149
Old 7th April 2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks Steve.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve V View Post
G'Day, Try Andrews Communications. They have a good range, most of which are well above the budget. Of those less than $200 I'll make the following comments

Alinco DJ-X3E - Having owned an older model Alinco many years ago, I'd be inclined to avoid this one even though it does have a pretty good "on paper" spec.

Uniden UBC73XLT - Good general purpose scanner. Currently use the 200 channel 'brother' of this radio as my backup handheld. Chris, it sounds as if you may have a faulty unit,as you should be able to directly enter a frequency ??

UNIDEN UBC-330CRS - This is probably not what you are after being a base unit, but it is an excellent unit for the price.

The Maycom unit is quite good too, although it is much more limited in frequency range, is slightly more difficult to program, and from my experience at least, is less sensitive than the uniden units. They do work well at the airport though. They also have a different antenna connector so if you want to use other antennas / external antennas you will need an adaptor.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-07.htm

Steve

Just FYI - the Uniden UBC73XLT is currently on sale at DSE. This isn't an ad, more of a community service announcement!
Old 12th May 2010, 11:38 PM

I take my trusty Maycom with me tuned to Sydney Approach when I'm out walking the dog. How sad is that?
Old 13th May 2010, 10:55 AM
Prolific Member

~bites tongue~
Old 13th May 2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive G View Post
I take my trusty Maycom with me tuned to Sydney Approach when I'm out walking the dog. How sad is that?
There is nothing sad about walking the dog.