Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th November 2008, 12:56 PM

Default SYD-HKG Virgin Atlantic Trip Report

Virgin Atlantic (VS201)
Sydney-Hong Kong
8/11/08
A340-642 - G-VYOU (Emmeline Hearny)

Hey everyone this is my 1st trip report. Enjoy

So, school finished a few days early it was time for some travel. We rocked up at Sydney Airport at about 11am to check in for our 3:50pm departure. Myself and mum cleared customs about 2pm for our flight would be scheduled to board at 2:50pm at Gate 58.

As “Virgin Atlantic 201 ready for boarding” was made over the speakers I was typically 1st to board to get some empty cabin shots of Virgin’s Premium and regular Economy. Once others started crowding the cabin I took my seat of 43K which would provide me with a great wing view.

We pushed back, taxied up along Alpha to the CAT 1 holding point for RWY16R, lined up straight away, waited for a proceeding CX A330 to depart also to HKG then we were rolling. Due to possibly wake turbulence we were flying south a little more than usual due to the A330 ahead then made our right turn direct to Richmond. On climb to FL360, we went through many clouds and came ‘within range’ of a Virgin Blue 737 heading north.

A very cloudy flight we had which didn’t make many good photos until the sun set.

So as day turned to night I decided to get the tri-pod out and get some night cabin shots.

As I was seen taking these photos, the CSM said to me, “Would you like to come up and see Upper class and possibly the flight deck after flight?” Obviously I said “Yes Please!” As many seats in Upper were available he told me that me and my mum we could do landing in Upper class seats 1 and 2A. I had mixed feelings about this, id get Upper class but I wasn’t able to look out the window We landed at CLK on 7L and taxied to the gate. The cabin crew and pilots were so nice they let me sit in the flight deck and take some photos without hesitation. After, we claimed out bags and went to our hotel (Park Hotel) in Kowloon. The trains in HK are very very good and the Octopus Card is a great, easy way to travel around. The roughly 45min train trip took us to Kowloon MTR Station and we took a taxi to our hotel. Our hotel wasn’t much but none the less a decent place to stay in the hub of Kowloon. We got to the hotel about 1:30am.