Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd September 2008, 11:44 PM

Lightbulb Will JQ & DJ further expend their network to Asia?

Virgin Blue announced Denpasar as its next port of call, its first expansion to Asia. Meanwhile, JetStar had already affinate with JetStar Asia to expend more ports around SE Asia. Even for its 'JQ' brand service has already expended to Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia (Suspended), Thailand (Phuket), Vietnam and more importantly, Japan.

I was wondering whether JQ will further expend its service to Asia, particularly, secondary ports in China, Korea etc. Routes, for example:

From Australian cities, change in JQ's DRW Hub:

Darwin - Guangzhou
Darwin - Pusan
Darwin - Kuala Lumpur LCCT - Langkawi
Darwin - Jakata
Darwin - Xian
Darwin - Chungqing
Darwin - Taipei
Darwin - Sanya/Haikou

To expend Philippines Network for JQ:
Brisbane - Cebu (via Cairns)

Alternatively, from Adelaide
Adelaide - Darwin - Hong Kong (Compete with Cathay's Direct Service)

Alternatively, from Cairns/Gold Coast:
Gold Coast - Hong Kong - Cairns (Shuttle Service)
(To compete with Cathay Pacific's CNS Service, where seems QF is a bit inapporiate to do such a direct service)
Cairns - Taipei
Gold Coast - Singapore - Cairns (Shuttle Service)
(To compete with AirAsia X)
Sydney - Gold Coast - Kuala Lumpur (Shuttle Service)
(To compete with AirAsia X)

Meanwhile, after DJ's launch to Asia by Denpasar, I am wondering if DJ will use their 738 to launch other Asian Destinations, especially Hong Kong, for example:
Hong Kong - Cairns
Hong Kong - Cairns - Gold Coast
Hong Kong - Darwin
Hong Kong - Darwin - Adelaide
By completion of those routes and interlining with DJ's mother Virgin Atlantic, Virgin's group of Airlines would have enjoyed a wider network also providing much cheaper service bewteen London and Australia.

Finally, I really think DJ should expend its network by interlining with VS on its:
Sydney - Canberra
Sydney - Melbourne
Sydney - Gold Coast
Sydney - Auckland
Sydney - Chirstchurch
Sydney - Hobart
Sydney - Adelaide

So that those two Virgin airline can enjoy extra passengers from UK.

Also as Australians like beaches, Cebu would also be another great place for DJ to go:
Brisbane - Cairns - Cebu

Domestically, DJ can consider open Lord Howe Island by using Embarer 170, that to compete with QF's expensive service.

What would be your thoughts?

Last edited by Arthur T; 22nd September 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:10 AM

Ok, here goes.

JQ are only going to base narrowbodies in DRW, and the network is probably going to mirror those destinations which JQ presently/previously flown in to, as part of the plan is being able to offer more frequencies on some routes which are served by the A330s. So, expect to see BKK, HKT, KUL from DRW, all with convenient connections from the south. Anywhere else is likely to be related to where they choose for their longhaul Asian hub, and that will depend on about when they get their sixth 787, probably some time around 2010, but I doubt they're going to open up much in China or the Far East, because I think that frankly there isn't much of a leisure market there yet.

As for DJ, I think any further Asian push is going to be through V Australia to key ports where there is enough yield. Expect to see a route announcement some time for an April launch, which would most likely be in Asia, maybe with an interline on VS through say Hong Kong.

I don't think DJ are really going to put much onto the international markets ex Australia, as they plan to keep Pac Blue pretty close to home, and given that they are the lower cost model, keeping the aircraft utilisation (and sectors operated) higher will probably suit them better, rather than stretching out the 738 on a single return.

Expect more of the interlining across the network when DJ upgrades their res system as Open Skies doesn't really like it. They may also have to change some of their baggage handling procedures.

As far as Lord Howe goes, forgive me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure its a protected route, so QF only. Not sure that the runway would be long enough/strong enough for an E-Jet anyway.