Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th May 2009, 10:40 AM

Default Spotting in Amsterdam

Hi, all.

I've ensured I get a weekend in Amsterdam when going to Europe in January, and would like to get some spotting/photography done at Schiphol (AMS/EHAM).

As I have tried the observation deck in the past and been disappointed at the limited photo opportunities so this time I'd like to get out and about a bit.

The airport has a map online with directions to some spotting locations, and these seem to be accessible by bike.
Spotting locations
Schiphol bike map

I'm not too worried about the temperatures in Amsterdam in January, as I come from a considerably colder climate myself and will be dressed appropriately

Does anyone here have experience spotting at this airport, or can advise on the feasibility of using a bike to get to good spots around the airport?
Old 14th May 2009, 06:57 PM

For starters Schiphol Airport is huge.

I am going back there is a month for some spotting. Last time I was there for a day and stuck to the spotting deck on the terminal and from the end of a terminal when departing.

I have used the following guides for spots around the airport
http://www.schipholview.nl/index_spotinfo.html
http://www.plane-mad.com/guides.php?guide=AMS

Using a bike should be ok as I saw a heap of bike paths all around the airport. Plus the airport website has all the paths you need to worry about. Beats walking to all the spots.
Not sure where you can hire a bike at/near the airport though.
Old 14th May 2009, 07:29 PM

There's supposed to be a bike rental facility somewhere at the airport.

A good way to combine the hobby with some exercise as well, I suppose.
Old 15th May 2009, 02:30 PM

I've been to schiphol twice and each time I've gone to the kaagbaan runway 06 area. It is still possible to take pictures from this spot even though they're extending the cargo apron beside it and the local police don't seem to care. There is no fence and runway 06 is the busiest runway for arrivals. Having said that, schiphol has 6 runways so it is very hit and miss, you'll always miss something as it lands on a different runway. It can take 20-30mins to drive from the polderbaan to the Oostbaan. Cycling in Jan may be interesting especially if there has been some recent snowfall and the weather is generally crap in winter. My advice is in January, stay to the viewing terrace.. that way a hot coffee is never far away
Old 3rd July 2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik H. Bakke View Post
There's supposed to be a bike rental facility somewhere at the airport.

A good way to combine the hobby with some exercise as well, I suppose.
I couldn't find a bike rental place when I was there.

But I was able to find the free bus around to the Kaagbaan 06 area. When I was there rwy 24 was used for the majority of departures. Was also able to get 36C arrivals when they switched runways from the same spot. (Happens a fair bit). I stayed there until the sun was bad and then moved to the terrace on the terminal to get terminal movements and 24 departures.
Old 5th July 2009, 08:58 AM

I think I'd be doing my spotting "downtown" Amsterdam...the scenery is a lot more interesting and the models in windows are somewhat more varied than anything you can see at the airport.

MS
Old 5th July 2009, 10:08 AM

Unfortunately, the plans have had to change, so I will not be able to spend time in Amsterdam except for the transit time.

Will definitely keep it in mind for next time, though, so am still grateful for all the tips posted so far.
Old 8th July 2009, 06:10 PM

If you are only transiting you can always have a crack at replicating this masterpiece by Gursky http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/phdu/ho_1995.191.htm