Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
a bit of lateral thinking that actually may work
Yeah nice Andrew. The only one here (so far) that's acknowledged NZ positively for doing something different. I guess it's human nature to look for fault. I'm with you though and good on you NZ. I hope you continue to innovate. It might just work (and for sure, the previous innovator in this region, QF, will copy you as with Y+)

I read somewhere recently, NZ will make empty seats (as in unsold) available to purchase at a cheaper rate for pax already on board as Andrew mentioned above. I'll try to find a link.

Ah, here's something from the SMH

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...1022-hbhc.html

Quote:
Economy flyers' fantasy realised: a bed for $150
DENISE MCNABB
October 23, 2009

IMAGINE if instead of just praying for an empty seat next to you in a long economy flight, you could guarantee it. Take that dream further and configure your two economy seats so it is possible to lie down and sleep.

This could be a reality next April, Air New Zealand says. It has revealed plans to offer passengers unsold seats when they check in at the airport for conversion to a near-flat bed.

The company has not said what it might charge passengers for the extra seat. But based on a ''reasonable charge'' of $150, a aviation analyst, Marcus Curley, said the move had the potential to earn the carrier $60 million in extra revenue each year.
Continues

Also http://www.nzx.com/news/markets/2994...utside-the-box

Same article from the same correspondent

Air NZ thinking outside the box

Quote:
By DENISE MCNABB The Independent | Friday, 23 Oct 2009
Old 26th January 2010, 01:10 PM

NZ already sell the middle seat of a triple (Twin seat as they call it) for about $60 (loads permitting). We did this between SFO and AKL in November and it was money well spent. It seemed to have really good take up with some people queuing half an hour before check in opened just to get it as it can't be pre-booked. I reckon there were 15 - 20 twin seats on the flight and that all available seats were taken this way. They designate them with a different head rest so that other passengers don't move into the spare seat (which occurred a few times and they had to be ejected by the cabin crew).

Last edited by Andrew H; 26th January 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 26th January 2010, 04:37 PM

Default Air New Zealand unveils economy lie-flat for 787-9, er, 777-300ER

Sems like it's all the rage across the world and not just "Australasia"

Flightblogger is on to it

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...ls-econom.html
Old 26th January 2010, 05:03 PM

Those photos and the video have been taken inside a 787 cabin mockup

I think the other part of the video which was interesting was order snacks/drinks from IFE. Seems like a basic idea but you would hope most airlines could implement this who have IFE - it makes it a lot easier to request something and the crew spent less time walking back and forth.
Old 26th January 2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
I think the other part of the video which was interesting was order snacks/drinks from IFE. Seems like a basic idea but you would hope most airlines could implement this who have IFE - it makes it a lot easier to request something and the crew spent less time walking back and forth.

Circa Virgin America which from all accounts is an excellent system.

This couch looks interesting but I can't see many airlines taking it up ... selling a middle seat for a small charge of about $100 will be more popular on flights with low loads.

Pre selling the economy couch is a gamble against loads really. You're betting you can't fill the plane to a full paying adult so sell one seat for half price, whereas selling a vacant middle seat on day of departure you're betting you can fill the plane, but can sell the middle seat as a back up..better option if you're an airline I think. Even gets pax to choose you over another airline with the prospect of a small fee to get 3 seats for 2 people.
Old 30th January 2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
Pre selling the economy couch is a gamble against loads really. You're betting you can't fill the plane to a full paying adult so sell one seat for half price
Air NZ gets half the money but has zero cost--no fuel for the bum that would be on the seat, his/her bag in the cargo hold, no food, etc. Plus you attract passengers for having an innovative product.

I suspect the numbers are tilted in Air NZ's favour.
Old 30th January 2010, 01:10 PM

Good point Will.

Although one downside is your load numbers would be down if lots of people took advantage. Unless they count the middle seat being purchased as 0.5 persons considering the revenue.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:39 AM

Do you reckon NZ puts more emphasis on load numbers or cash in the bank Rhys?
Old 18th March 2010, 08:25 AM

NZ have been conducting an extensive marketing campaign based on "spooning" in their new skycouch™.

They offer a 'Very short guide to Spooning' brought to you by the economy skycouch™

They have now produced this billboard on skycouch™ etiquette.

When their video guide fell over last week, they unashamedly announced "Our spooning application is forked at the moment! As soon as its ready to go again, we'll let you know!"