Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th October 2010, 06:47 PM

Default LAX to JFK

Hey guys,

Basically planning a trip to Los Angeles for the holidays and was just wondering,

around how much would it cost to go to New York, flights and accommodation for a few days,
What airlines to look for/avoid,
How long is the flight,
Hows the the check in and stuff,
Sights and points of intrest for a holiday,
and anything else that will help,

Will be leaving around start of December,

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Last edited by Michael Lee; 18th October 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 18th October 2010, 07:46 PM
Lukas M

From many experiences...

LAX-JFK. Fly Virgin America or Jetblue. More comfortable, up to date, and leaves those ancient carriers for dead, dont even bother with them. Virgin America's product is built for these long trancons, best airline seat around. No bag fees at Jetblue, $25 at Virgin. In the past has cost me around $120-$150 each way, and they all seem to price match each other so its a matter of which airline rather than chasing the cheapest price. Plus airtrain connects JFK-Manhattan, makes life easy, $5 to subway line, then $2.50 to any station in the city. Flight is around 5hrs outbound, can be up to 6/7hrs coming back with ATC delays. Avoid the last Virgin flight out of JFK!

NY Accom. Hunt around, I have had Four points/Club Quarters for around $180~ when combined with a flight. Look at expedia, combine domestic flights with hotel and they take a whole lot off. There are expedia promo codes floating around for $10 off per night for single hotel bookings. Hotwire.com is also worth a look. Could be cheaper to stay down WTC end of town, which is at the end of the E subway which is the airport route. Good idea to use a 7 day subway pass (unlimited) for $25 if you are there for a few days.

I know that city inside out so feel free to ask away..

Last edited by Lukas M; 18th October 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:45 PM

Two words; avoid JFK

I found the Portland Square Hotel an excellent hotel for myself (if you're going solo). It's around $80US ($80AU ha!) a night and it is literally 50 steps from times square. It's quite small but sufficient so long as you're not planning on being in the room for much other than sleeping.